• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Men Denied Bail After Alleged Threats on Pokémon World Championships

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
Whichever way the trial ends, these two men will be looking at a very grim future when this is all over.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
A lot of times it's the people who don't have criminal records that can be the most dangerous. In the world today where anything is possible, you can't simply brush off the threat especially when specific details are involved. Perhaps they should have thought things through a little more instead of posting a photo with their car full of weapons and saying "HERE WE COME!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nosehair

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
death threats over pokemon. what a moron. hope he gets at least 20 years. not only did he have intent to kill but what he planned on doing was an organized mass homicide. nobody like that belongs in our society.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
Hope they get locked up. Who knows what they might have done. If they didn't have the weapons with them, I'd be slightly more sympathetic towards them, but the fact they threatened AND brought the weapons to do their threat with them makes it very suspicious.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
This is one of the moments where I don't know if facepalm repeatedly or cringe... I think I will do both.
Each new detail I hear about these guys what they managed to do and what thank god they didn't just makes the whole thing look even more bizarre... it's just surreal.
Hope they don't get out soon... guys may be morons but they are dangerous morons...
Zero Gravity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
lets take a moment and think:

When you take a trunk full of weapons that rivals James Holmes trunk, to a large international gathering event, while making an online threat to shoot someone with an AR-15, posting a picture of you putting said guns into a trunk stating your going to said international event, in a city that is still on edge after the bombing several year ago, AND you don't even have a permit to own ANY of those guns?

What did you think was going to happen?

They HAVE to be incredibly stupid to have thought that was ok.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:43 am Reply with quote
That will be interesting to see how it'll develop.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
A lot of times it's the people who don't have criminal records that can be the most dangerous."

kinetic vs potential energy

seeing a rock rolling down the hill from afar it will be easy to avoid it.. whil it will be hard with rocks that just sit right at the edge of the cliff

this is how it is with people now a day.. they can snap for the simplest things..

road rage, got fired from a job, etc..

"Prosecutors previously said that Norton was banned from an online chatroom for bullying."

in the end it's always lead back to social media.. too much time on social media is a dangerous thing for the mind
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:59 am Reply with quote
Wait, if they're not being charged with making threats, why is apparently the defense only intent on denying that those threats were serious?
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
Honestly while they should be charged with something minor for the perceived threats, it's pretty obvious they weren't serious about actually carrying them out. If they were, they would have tried to hide some weapons on them. The main charge should be the unlicensed carry of fire arms they had no license for. I'm pleased with ANN's reporting on this as they don't try and take the "Feels" route for their articles when reporting on this like other sites have.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:13 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Wait, if they're not being charged with making threats, why is apparently the defense only intent on denying that those threats were serious?

The prosecuting attorney could be trying to claim that they were serious to try and get more charges added on which would increase potential sentence time.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:43 am Reply with quote
I hope they get locked up for a loooooong time
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote
To me, a good sentence for length is at least 7.5-10 years for the threats and illegal weapon ownership. Had they actually carred out the plan and held the guns at people/severely shot some people, I think at least 15 years for attempted murder would be good.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
The main charge should be the unlicensed carry of fire arms they had no license for.

Like my state, Missouri appears to be a state that does not require licensing of firearms, so it is no surprise they would have no license.

The real issue is the transport of the weapons into a state that does require licensing.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
They didn't have their weapons because they where casing the place first. At least that should be pretty easy for the prosecutor to argue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2