• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Will Anime Ever Come To My Country (Legally)?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
At this moment the Middle-East is in Dark-Waters. Topic on anime & media and such will most likely not be covered at any time or near future.

Somehow in the future I would say the best idea is to move somewhere Western. Well that`s truly up to the man who wrote the question if he`d like to open a new box of life.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
On the international politics side, imports from Europe or Japan are much more likely to happen at all and happen sooner than any from the US. Outside of the US and Israel, most countries are very pleased with the terms of the Iran deal (and a significant amount of people in the US, including many, many experts are too, to be fair). Many of those have done business with Iran in the past, and are eager to start doing so again (which is why the most recent sanctions regime was so effective). Going by the last whip counts I saw, there aren't enough votes to override the president's veto and maybe not enough to overcome a filibuster, in layman's terms, it's going to be approved in all likelihood. Even if the US doesn't approve it, Europe and Japan will likely not maintain sanctions, as I said before, they are pleased with the deal and eager to do business with Iran. As for US companies in the event that sanctions relief is approved, I doubt US companies would enter the Iranian market anytime soon, worrying that sanctions could be reimposed. This is especially true if a Republican is elected in 2016, as most of the Republican candidates have said they would reimpose sanctions on Iran in the hopes that more sanctions would lead to a "better" deal (read: total capitulation in Iran's part, which is never going to happen). Now all this depends on the Iranian government following through on their obligations, as the US can get the UN sanctions reimposed if they believe the Iranian government is cheating, provided they can get their European allies to vote in favor of doing so (and if the US has good evidence that the Iranian government is cheating, they probably will). Now if they do follow though with their obligations and complete them as quickly as possible, the sanctions will start coming off around next spring or so. So, in short, I wouldn't wait for Amazon or any US company to import anything anytime soon. Europe or Japan is a better bet, though the point is moot if it is interdicted at the border for moral reasons.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Here is a question that I believe is on many people's minds. If an anime or a show is not legally available in your country, are fansubs technically illegal?

Technically, in any place that's signatory of Bern Convention, illegal.

That said, me, I watch what I watch, regardless if it's legally available or not...
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Here is a question that I believe is on many people's minds. If an anime or a show is not legally available in your country, are fansubs technically illegal? Also, how do importing the BDs and DVDs from other countries factor into this equation?

Well in my case fansubs are technically still illegal. Since my country (Trinidad and Tobago) doesn't enforce such things unless a foreign country or company makes a big stink about it and we have cheap high speed internet, in practice, it doesn't matter.

As for importing BD's and DVD's. I have no issues and customs has never asked any questions which is a really weird thing for a country that has 3 highly conservative religions officially recognized (Christianity, Hinduism and Islam) and in which homosexuality and cursing in public is technically illegal.

Since most legal sites aren't interested in streaming to my country (I can't even access Funimation's website!) the only legal way for me to access anime that isn't named Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon or Naruto is importing. Assuming ,of course, that importing is legal.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
One of the things simulpub manga seems to be doing better than simulcasted anime is having much better availability globally especially Square Enix.
ravager

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm from the Philippines and have been a fan of anime for twenty years, manga for ten. While anime on home video has become nonexistent, anime on TV is still strong. The two 24-hour anime channels, Animax and Hero, are at least 10 years old, the former showing English dubbed and subbed anime while the latter Filipino dubs. (Right now, I'm literally watching Filipino dubbed Haikyu!, which is really good).

I used to buy DVDs of fansubs, but not anymore. I still download fansubs from time to time, but less than before - Daisuki's good. Crunchyroll is not worth it depending on the season, because only a few shows are available and a month's subscription is more expensive than my monthly water bill!

If the anime I downloaded and like gets broadcast on TV, I'll watch it again there, to support the industry. In the case of Fullmetal Alchemist, my all-time favorite, I've watched it on Cartoon Network Philippines (Funi dub), GMA (local dub), Animax (Brotherhood simulcast), and TV5 (Brotherhood local dub). Just this week dubbed HxH 2011 resumed airing, so I'm watching dubbed HxH on free TV and subbed HxH on Animax!

Anyway, since I still want to have my own copies of anime, what do I do? For Filipino dubs, I just record them myself, for personal use or sharing to a few friends who can't catch the broadcast (that's why I'm watchin Haikyu! now, at 1 am). For English dubs, import from US or UK releases. For English subbed, sometimes anime DVD releases from Singapore or South Korea have English subs, so I prefer them especially if they're cheaper.

All English-translated manga are imported from the US or Singapore.

Since almost everything is an import, the peso is weak against the dollar, and I'm just middle-class, I have to save a loooooong time for my anime and manga. Sometimes I'll just buy secondhand. Sometimes before I can finally afford the manga series I want, the publisher dies out (like Tokyopop or CMX).

Things are changing, though. Publishers like Psicom are finally translating manga to Filipino, and there are four locally translated manga available in the market: Attack on Titan (of course), Fairy Tail (why?), Doraemon, and Detective Conan. For one Viz volume, I can buy two Psicom volumes. More manga for me, yay!

phoenixalia wrote:

Most people here have watched Pokemon, Doraemon and the like but don't know that they are anime. We have Animax but it's not popular at all. Afaik, only very few cable providers have Animax now. In other words, there are literally no anime and manga fans here except maybe one or two percent.

Philippines, yes? I don't know the stats, but it certainly feels more than one or two percent! Since anime is a mainstay of free TV, it's pretty ubiquitous around here, and it's even more difficult to find a Filipino who hasn't watched any anime, ever. (Are you from the province, by any chance? Because otaku events are concentrated in Metro Manila.)

Back to OP from Iran: ten years ago, I'd never thought I'll see locally translated manga here. Even in our neighbors, like predominantly Muslim Indonesia, manga are being translated too! And take a look at Cuba opening up to the US! Never say never, but it might take a while Smile
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
First and foremost, I also feel for anime & manga fans who live in many middle eastern countries, they really have to deal with a though situation.

Quote:
Quick correction: "Muslim morals" should be corrected to "Islamic morals" as Muslims are the people who follow the religion and Islam is the religion.

TBT "Islamic morals" should be corrected to "Sharia Law", since not all Islamic countires make it the law of the land. i.e. Indonesia is the country with the biggest muslim population but they have access to anime.

Quote:
but also to show our other readers how tough it can REALLY be to be an anime fan when you're not lucky enough to live in a country that permits such things.

I do hope whoever send said email is using a livecd to boot into ubuntu or similar operative system so there are no traces left on his hard disks when he powers down, he IS risking jail-time for merely watching foreign tv series, which albeit chances are low of him getting caught, they possibility is too real.

Heck, I feel kind of alone as a fan over here (even though we have conventions, stores and spanish subtitled streams) since broadcast tv no longer shows anime. But for Iranian fans translating to farsi some fansub and burning to a dvd with several episodes to "spread the word" and make more fans is a big risk. Even "innocuous" (reads as "no blatant sexuality or innuendo") series like Gingitsune, Noragami or Haruhi would be seen as promotion for pagan religions. Heck, even Hotarun (from Non non byori) wearing normal clothing (no head scarf) might be too much :/

IMO the best thing that can happen is that with reduced trade sanctions, the Iranian government also relaxes its grip over the internet so streams can be seen without using a vpn.

*disappears in a poof of smoke*
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Also, how do importing the BDs and DVDs from other countries factor into this equation?

Copyright laws govern the practice of copying, so at first blush the answer is, no, it is not illegal. However I don't know how this applies to materials sold outside the area covered by a licensor's contract. You can probably buy Japanese releases legally if you buy them directly from Japan, but the legality of buying a disc from Funimation in some third country is less obvious.

For a good example, take a look at an Aniplex release of Madoka Magica at rightstufanime.com. In the product description you'll see, "Due to licensing and contract restrictions, this product can be sold and shipped to the US and Canada only. This product cannot be shipped to Japan."

Now the obvious reason for this restriction is the producer's concern about "reverse importation," since the Japanese Blu-rays for Madoka are much more expensive than this release. But the restriction also applies everywhere outside the US and Canada as well.

Even for products that don't have such explicit constraints, I don't know whether it would be legal to buy a Sentai release in, say, France or India. As a test, I visited amazon.co.in and looked to see if I could buy a copy of the Claymore or Attack on Titan DVDs there; I only saw the manga.

This ignores the entire region-coding issue as well, of course. Even if you can buy a foreign DVD or Blu-ray, you may not have anything to play it on. "Region-free" DVD players are pretty common, but finding the equivalent Blu-ray players is a dicey proposition. Amazon (US) has a number of supposedly region-free BR players, but they all have third-party firmware. If you connect one of them to the Internet and update the firmware either intentionally or by accident, you'll end up with the manufacturer's version and the region-free feature will disappear.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
I live a place where the manga means mango. No, seriously, manga in the language here means mango (the fruit).

Same here.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
At this moment the Middle-East is in Dark-Waters. Topic on anime & media and such will most likely not be covered at any time or near future.

Somehow in the future I would say the best idea is to move somewhere Western. Well that`s truly up to the man who wrote the question if he`d like to open a new box of life.

Quite frankly, unless a youthquake shakes Iran's very foundations, nothing will ever change. Women are property, gays, lesbians and bisexuals get the death penalty for homosexual activity, there's a strict dress code, sex outside of marriage is forbidden, and there's an intolerance to everything non-Muslim, specially polytheist. And atheists are also put to death. Among other cancers in a Sharia society. Plus, Japan is an ally of the West.

Anime has loads of women that violate that same dress code. Homosexuality is abundant in anime. Shinto religion and Buddhism i largely mentioned, not to mention (many times innacurate) portrayals of Christianity, and I believe I have seen at least one atheist character. Americans are not rarely portrayed in a positive or at least neutral fashion. And there are even, in a few titles, portrayal of strong women. I think enough is said about the topic of anime.

Iran's current regime is a Human Rights Tragedy. The Anime aspect, horrible and opressive as it is, is just a small part of the horror. And by now, only Iran's youth can save it.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I do hope whoever send said email is using a livecd to boot into ubuntu or similar operative system

FWIW, I've heard some good things about Tails.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:

That's not entirely true, there are quite a few countries in the Middle-East where anime is popular and legal. Not every country in the region is as strict as Iran when it comes to foreign media.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Iran's current regime is a Human Rights Tragedy. The Anime aspect, horrible and opressive as it is, is just a small part of the horror. And by now, only Iran's youth can save it.

I could be wrong, but I remember reading in another forum a comment that said that a certain paul mccartney song inspired many during the revolt that ousted egypt's president.

If I were an Iranian hoping to inspire a revolution, I would translate to farsi and distribute Attack on Titan, since we are talking about that kind of odds; if there is a revolution, it wont be pretty and body count will be very high, but it beats living your whole life in a cage.

*gone again*
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Iran is a hard place to live, especially if you're not______(fill in the blank: Muslim, male, straight, religious). But it's also a very hard place to leave. The Iranian Jewish couple I know got out by the skin of their teeth after the Iranian revolution in the '80s. But there are still many communities of non-Muslim people in Iran, many of whom would love to leave, but getting out of Iran is hard, and getting permission to live somewhere else legally is harder. Nobody wants to take in refugees from war torn Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan, let alone relatively stable Iran. And starting a revolution to further de-stabilize an already messed up political structure in the current Middle Eastern climate is probably the most dangerous suggestion of all right now.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
I live a place where the manga means mango. No, seriously, manga in the language here means mango (the fruit).

I'm gonna say, Portuguese?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5