• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime's 2nd Ad Aired

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
The setting feels like Break Blade and Gurren Lagann. Though I won't omit the notion of the usual space-opera Gundam series always play in their franchise.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
This Gundam is simply not going to work... you couldn't ask for a more detrimental director/writer combo.

Ugh... I pray to Lord that it will at least be more tolerable than G-Reco, Build, 00, and AGE. It's all I can do.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
This Gundam is simply not going to work... you couldn't ask for a more detrimental director/writer combo.

Ugh... I pray to Lord that it will at least be more tolerable than G-Reco, Build, 00, and AGE. It's all I can do.

Build aside as it was going for something different entirely, the last serious gundam series have set the bar so low that I'm actually very confident this be amazing by comparison if nothing else.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:52 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

Damn I knew Sunrise had to design Gundam to appease Otaking09 to be a viable series eh ? Who would have thought that ? Rolling Eyes
People that continually cling to some "ideal" Gundam and blame Sunrise for everything are like 50 year olds still reading child comics and wondering why the hell they don't appeal to them like they used to when they were kids.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:12 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

It hasn't even aired yet and we have teaser info about it and already you're bitching about it like it's a Michael Bay/Zac Snyder/M. Night Shyamalan collaboration.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:

It hasn't even aired yet and we have teaser info about it and already you're bitching about it like it's a Michael Bay/Zac Snyder/M. Night Shyamalan collaboration.

cant blame him, we already make high expectation since Gundam Age was debut, and all series after that going to downhill.

People now having skeptical thought when new Gundam series announced. It is not a bad thing and it is not a good thing either.
macattack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

I thought 00 was great, honestly, and Build, if not anime literature, is quite fun. G-Reco had issues tho and AGE was a poorly conceived mess that was weakened by its own marketing.

I think Iron Blooded Orphans has a pretty good chance of being good. I don't have any issues with Mari Okada, while she has a couple of clunkers she also has a lot of good titles in her catalog of anime.

We're going to find out in a month if this anime is going to work or not. I like what I'm seeing, it seems to be a return to classic Gundam action after the blandness of G-Reco and AGE.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
People that continually cling to some "ideal" Gundam and blame Sunrise for everything are like 50 year olds still reading child comics and wondering why the hell they don't appeal to them like they used to when they were kids.

That would almost make sense... except I'm pretty sure G-Reco was aimed at older fans (well really it was aimed at politicians) and AGE just flat out bombed with everyone. It isn't an issue of who the recent series have been aimed at, it is that they have failed to deliver at all (not counting build fighters which appears to have done well).
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
All I can say is just wait to the show comes out and watch it. Seeing as how some of the most popular Gundam series of the last couple decades are ones which have received the most derision, particularly in the forums here, and some of the worst performing were ones that had the most positive preliminary praise, gauging anything at this point is futile. The franchise is hit or miss, so there's no point trying to theorize too much about a series that's already just a month away from debut.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
I thought 00 was great, honestly, and Build, if not anime literature, is quite fun. G-Reco had issues tho and AGE was a poorly conceived mess that was weakened by its own marketing.

I think Iron Blooded Orphans has a pretty good chance of being good. I don't have any issues with Mari Okada, while she has a couple of clunkers she also has a lot of good titles in her catalog of anime.

We're going to find out in a month if this anime is going to work or not. I like what I'm seeing, it seems to be a return to classic Gundam action after the blandness of G-Reco and AGE.

Pretty much said everything I was going to. I loved 00, so I hate seeing it lumped in with the last few shows.

Like you said Okada's had some quite good stuff on the series resume too. I'm looking forward to this. I think it's got a pretty good chance to be good. My only real complaint at this point is I would have liked one or two female fighters and pilots in the group and not just as the "princess" and the civilian (?). Other than that I think the setup looks pretty good and I like the mix of influences from stuff like Gundam X/Lagann etc. with the Gundam 00-looking super-polished background art and mecha/battle animation.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

Like you said Okada's had some quite good stuff on the series resume too. I'm looking forward to this. I think it's got a pretty good chance to be good. My only real complaint at this point is I would have liked one or two female fighters and pilots in the group and not just as the "princess" and the civilian (?).

It's strange they had to come up with that type of cast especially considering Nagai and Okada has done a ton of past shows with lots of solid active female leads. When I heard those two will do the next Gundam series, I thought they would be the ones bucking the trend and follow that suit, but that's not case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1