• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Utawarerumono: The False Faces (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

Lets see. . . New opening, not quite a fan of it but it does show Benawi and his fellow general so maybe we can expect them to have a cameo or some importance.

Looking at the Eight Generals converse about the war actually let me notice a few things. The most prominent thing being that Tokifusa is the same race as Touka judging from his ears. The Dekoponpo dude detracting from their conversation makes me dislike him quite a bit; it also doesn't help me that he resembles that one terrible ruler from the first series. Vurai actually seems quite suspicious despite what Ukon says about his loyalty. The way he eyed the emperor after his loss makes him seem sketchy.

That aside, I can't really say much about this episode since it feels more of a tease of the actual serious bits.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:09 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
The Dekoponpo dude detracting from their conversation makes me dislike him quite a bit; it also doesn't help me that he resembles that one terrible ruler from the first series.

And the other generals look to simply ignore him because he is a huge fool who cares more about being recognised than giving proper attention and learning something. The amount of times he cut in with a comment of how great Yamato was and how much the enemy sucks followed namedropping one of the other generals to agree with him was kind of annoying, though seemed to be an active part to portray his character. Apparently he only got the part because the emperor liked his father so much.

Maybe they should have made it more explicit after he ran off that the enemy use captured prisoners as front guard, meaning a hasty act of Dekoponpo could make the enemy stronger, and soldiers don't even know to expect what they are going to face. At least with Oshutoru might put some effort into rescuing people captured unlike the others.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:30 am Reply with quote
I see spoiler[death flag]. Let's hope it's nothing but a mirage. Sad
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
The start of episode 13 made me hopeful that things might actually happen, but no, just more endless setup. If not for all the time wasted in the previous 12 episodes, what plot movement we got here would have been enough to satisfy me, but my patience is really wearing thin.

At least no one took a bath.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14

Other than highlighting Dekoponpo's incompetence in military warfare, I think an interesting thing to come out of this episode is the scene where Kuon asks Haku to join the war -- her blushing during the scene sort of subtly implies affection instead of the guardian status she said earlier in the show. I was a bit surprised with Kuon's ability to fight but with her being raised in Tsukuru by Karura, Touka, etc., I guess I shouldn't be surprised. And with the supposed swordmaster now joining the Yamato crew which will most likely happen after this episode and as the OP suggests, I wonder what kind of stakes this will raise for Yamato. It seems like they have very competent fighters and the enemy forces haven't show anybody as capable yet.

Overall, things are still building up slowly so I'm unsure about how I feel. On one hand, I really want to get into the serious nature of the show but it disregard that sometimes with comedic scenes. On the other, I still like the comedy even if it distracts from the serious bits.

I'm actually quite excited about the next episode since it is titled "Masks" and those who view the first series will know the importance of it -- spoiler[Hakuoro's transformation (and its relations to his mask), specifically]. The preview hypes me up a bit because I see something that resembles a tail and leg (and also the promotion poster for this cour showcased a shadow of a "monster").
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I was a bit surprised with Kuon's ability to fight but with her being raised in Tsukuru by Karura, Touka, etc., I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I thought that early in the series she seemed quite the tough one, back from when she ran in and saved Haku, to actively joining Ukon out there. At the time we could not tell if such prowess were just typical of the general population apart from Haku, but she did in general seem quite confident in her physical ability.

I thought it was a little interesting with Rurutie, there had been no indication that she herself has any fighting strength, and really she was being forced into this situation out of honour of her family. Although still it was her heart in wanting to protect people that led to saving the day.

And for god sake, listen to your tactician. Maroro gets shown as a bit weird, he is not exactly the war type, but he does have some surprising power, he is an alright guy, but got saddled with an idiot.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was just to emphasize what an idiotic blowhard Dekapan is. Smile But Maroro does seem to get the short end a lot. He's actually kind of a sweet guy (my impression of him rose a great deal after seeing him without his white makeup mask).
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15

So I guess this is the Utawarerumono we were all waiting for.

Munechika seems to have the power to make barriers, so that's cool. I like how her weapon of a choice is an arm-attachable hammer head. Vurai is quite brutal and unmerciful as established in a previous episode. Ukon's sword fight and the former two's one-sided battles really made me think about their power levels. How would they compare to the warriors of Tsukuru -- IIRC, nobody in the previous series really had any powers like these guys. Aside from Karura, it seems Yamato is stronger -- especially after the reveal of the masks' powers. And maybe Hakuoro but he's (1st series spoiler warning) spoiler[sleeping as far as we know.]

Powerlevels aside, I really like this episode. It's the strength of the Utawarerumono series to focus on war and see what casualties it brings. And this episode really is starting to shape up Haku's character and highlight his stance towards this issue. I actually disagree with the one general at the end who stated that they have complete victory. I can't really say it's a victory when you destroy most of the city and killed your own citizens. If the show focuses on the politics of things, I wonder how this news would affect the other cities.

Anyways, I do miss the bath scenes but I guess bloodbaths are a form of bath. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 15

That was insane. At first starting at kind of like Dynasty, while the power levels steadily increased. And then we had what could be described as Kaiju, and I think my reaction was not too different from the characters'. I usually don't like it when a series might keep repeating a scene like an explosion to add emphasis, but it felt really warranted here.

My running theory lately has been that the emperor wants Haku to be his replacement, his daughter might have even be purposely meant to run into Haku so he can.... marry her and he can become emperor. The reason the other guy has been wanting him to do certain things like help people is so that he might become a better emperor who might not allow what happened this episode.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
Probably my favorite episode this week especially with the way the pacing picked up. This goes to show how powerful some of the Eight Pillar Generals can really be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Not many tears shed for the guys forced to fight against Yamato because their families were hostages.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 16

So I expected the episode to be all baths light episode, that was not quite what we actually got. Instead most of the episode had Haku digesting how he feels about what happened, he feels down and most of the characters want to make him feel better. It played with how he likes the just peaceful goofing around, and that the other characters able to look so natural in battle kind of upset him.

Was there fanservice?
Yes. But it was decidedly not what I expected. It pretty much became spoiler[Rurutie's fantasy] come to life. I wonder how much she was able to take in.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I really enjoy this episode that much. It was a bit of a rehash of stuff we already sort of knew -- Haku's discontent and fear of the way the war was handled. I guess the highlight was the naked dance which had me burst out laughing and made my crappy day a bit better.

So, since the war ended, my biggest question is what will come next? The presentation of the enemy's strategist's daughter -- what role does she have? Will she be important later on? This was a breather episode but I'm curious what stakes will be at risk here if the war ended. Will there be more battles?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
How did those letters survive his dip in the river? Were they savvy enough of anime tropes to hermetically seal the package?

I'm thinking the magatama are going to be some sort of trigger for Haku.

Still processing how I feel about the party.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Except for Maroro, I thought the party was pretty damn funny. I especially loved the various reactions the girls had. Shinonon and Atui's were my favorite
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6