• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aria the Scarlet Ammo Double A (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

I feel like the writers just decided to throw everything into the episode at once with the action and Akari's abilities. Kyochikutou also has some weird abilities related to poison but whatever. The gatling gun part was almost funny to watch.

Akari's fighting skills showed this episode though.

That ending felt really rushed, like they wanted to introduce another antagonist at the end to take on the girls. I expect some rushed and maybe some heart to heart talk between Akari/Aria in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:59 am Reply with quote
They probably wondered what they should do after they had an enemy with a gatling gun taken out, and the answer was to make a final boss who is the older sibling of the first one but in a mecha with two gatling guns. I thought the show already sold it to us that the bad guy was so knowledgeable of them that they would have to assume she already knows that all of them are after her, and that she would know their likely plans. The only way they would win is by doing something unexpected.

Also more than ever was the futility of their uniforms, if they really do expect to get shot then they should have clothes that cover more, or at least it would be a really good idea to be more prepared for poison here. A revolver is a terrible idea.

Also, as if we would expect someone to die from getting shot in this show. Of course all the bullets will just hit their school uniform.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
The whole thing was boring and stupid. Kyochikutou was supposed to be all mysterious and formidable and intimidating and she only came off as sadly under matched and with nothing really interesting to offer herself. All her opponents pretty much threw themselves into her traps. Even after they were warned.

Of course the way to create a uncrowded battle field is to create a big pileup of cars. Ain't nobody going to be around then.

Note: a gatling gun that throws slugs cannot be recoilless. Anything that throws slugs cannot be recoilless. For that you need rockets. There were no rockets.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale):

That was bad and rushed. They pretty much used a simple smokescreen and diversion tactic to win. Nothing really exciting. Apparently, we got some Aria vs. Akari in the end as well (was it just me or did they use footage from the preview). But yeah, this felt flat. I think even the original series was better.

Also really wished Reki got more important roles in this season :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't actually that big a fan of the original (mostly because I find Aria and Kinji don't work that great as a couple) so I liked this more. Wasn't anything spectacular but I do genuinely like Akari and wanted to know what her deal was. The actual reveal was a bit meh but whatever.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Never really digged the series to begin with. But man was that finale a letdown.

Now I wasn't expecting much, but even with those expectations I was let down. The older sister was defeated way too easily, And we end the episode with an even that's only exposited to the viewer. Seriously, was it that hard to show the bus hijacking again but from a different angle?

The series as a whole has a lot of flaws. For instance, I noticed little in the way of character development from anyone outside of Aria and Akane (and even then those had next to no payoff). All the villains feel anti-climatic in this series and pose no real threat. The lack of male and adult characters here make the world feel more restricted and under-developed (This includes Kinji, and while I understand that you may want to look at the series in a new angle, it could have been done without removing him completely). And this is while something that spans both series, I never liked how Butei can't kill people while their enemies can. It feels really wrong when your enemies can shoot you down, and yet all you can do is immobilize them without outwardly harming them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

This was bad. And I am someone who thinks shows like Yuru Yuri are really good and generally enjoy fairly bad harem series like the original series of this was. For the last episode, the mecha battle was ridiculous.

Are they supposed to have that technology? She was pretty unprotected in it, so someone could just shoot her, like her legs were entirely uncovered so no explanation of bullet proof clothing. She was just randomly shooting things, there were large parts of times the main characters were talking so she was obviously not going after them all the time, but actually destroying things around her seemed to wait until Akari and Aria run out. The way she was beat was just so anticlimactic, they shoot a smoke screen, so then she uses a cabin like thing she should have used from the beginning (although her legs are still exposed. Apparently it is then hit by chaff (I think that is right), and then hit by pain on the screen. It was totally silly excuse to have all the characters involved. And especially bad with how they thought to take on poison girl.

Did I see some scenes simply reused? The older sister character's laughing seemed out of place, and I think they simply kept using the same shot. I don't remember a huge amount of things about the original series from back when I watched in in 2011, but its apparent decision to make this set within what is like early in that series, feels like it makes no sense. An aspect that really is dumb in franchise is the bullet proof uniforms, it just kind of feels like a lame excuse for why they are not in danger despite the danger of guns, and that they really in general are not even that well covered. If you were facing being shot, I think it would be okay to adopt a bullet proof pair of pants too rather than a bullet proof miniskirt.

And even more is how it is a kind of shameless mix of that Aria into a light yuri anime. Honestly I think the show was somewhat entertaining when it decided to divorce itself from the parent franchise and just focus on the psycho yuri thing. That may be somewhat shallow, but it is the closest to actually building somewhat of an identity. Probably should have been its own show, at least then it could have dedicated itself to something rather than playing sides that just did not mix. Even if they wanted to play with the world set up for Aria the Scarlet Ammo, the best it should have done was still actually avoid having connections to the original franchise, maybe only the occasional reference.

I think that I can see where this was trying to come from, it was trying to do what A Certain Scientific Railgun was with A Certain Magical Index. That in itself is probably the subject of looking at this. Pretty much Railgun was a story of what an interesting character from the main series which was representative of a whole lot of the world building the original series couldn't focus on entirely. Railgun is actually damn good show, with good characters, and really did not feel out of place from what it spun off from. And really able to be its own thing. You also really want to watch Mikoto, while who actually wants to watch Akari? Maybe I don't have a good explanation of what was so different, perhaps it also comes from Index (series) was better than Aria (series) anyway.

For a rating, I will first look at what I gave the original series... although apparently I never rated it. How am I supposed to give a rating when I don't remember it entirely? I think that I did enjoy an OVA. Just going off this series then, I will rate it Not really good. I actually did enjoy the middle when it was going crazy yuri mode, I won't call it an entire waste of time, but it still was not good.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:27 am Reply with quote
I also had to drop out of viewing the main series of Aria, this spin off of sorts was more amusing for my personal tastes but just as well like the main series it has been done many times over within the past few years (hell we could consider this the non hentai version of Valkyrie Drive with all the yuri overtones going on)

I wasn't overly bored with Akari as I would be with "generic LN male protagonist" even though she leans on other overly used tropes.

I wouldn't recommend this series for those that aren't already digging for what this show plays with in the first couple episodes.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
For a rating, I will first look at what I gave the original series...

Very clearly whatever talent and creative spark that went into the prior season simply isn't here.

Yeah that mech battle was ridiculous.

At least it serves as a case study in how you can't make an evil character out of just drawing evil faces on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4