• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Toriyama-rama

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I gave up on the DBZ movies even before I gave up on GT and the phrase "gold Frieza" pretty much says why. On the other hand, I could say blue Goku is stronger than pink Goku and golden Goku combined because... progress!

Toriyama should have stuck to comedy? {Thinks back to Ginyu, thinks back to Buu and that of course leads to Mr. Satan...}

No. No.

Let's look at that Slump panel. Knowing what I know about the strip, that a man, a smart inventor maybe, who puts panties on robot girl.. because Japan... who in a desperate attempt to find her, takes out a worn pair by her... because Japan... to have another robot he built sniff them...

What's right with this picture? I know what's wrong with it.

Wait, the comedy is in the robot questioning his very functionality as a robot bloodhound and the fact that he automatically knows those are panties and that were worn by another robot was built into his AI? Or is the joke the idea that the Japanese are so in love with technology, they'd build robots to smell all the used panties they keep?

"Why am I sniffing a robot's underwear?"
I built a robot dog with no nostrils.
How does he smell?
Like burning circuitry, I mean awful.

Is it the sweat drop? I am at a loss here.

I thought Toriyama was at his best when he was doing body horror, time travel and questionable parentage, the same kind of stuff that was lovingly, and with Toriyama's permission, ripped off in DNA^2.

Katsura only took the things he liked and wisely left that comedy back where it belonged. In the past.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Radrappy wrote:
who peed in your salad?

Well duh, Toriyama did.

And it was actually a casserole he urinated in. I don't know where you got salad from.

Radrappy wrote:
The movie was a lot of pure toriyama/dragonball fun.

No. This movie was a lot of dumb antics with no humour, so-called fights with no tension, a villain with no power or credibility, and it has no love or respect for the actual DBZ series. And those transformations . . . ugh.

Resurrection F is so badly written it comes off as a piece of eye-roll-inducing fan fiction . . . except it is just a blatant cash grab that is actually canon to the franchise (unfortunately). Toriyama is nowhere near the storyteller he used to be, and he's now resorted to milking fans with this tripe.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Radrappy wrote:
who peed in your salad?

Well duh, Toriyama did.

And it was actually a casserole he urinated in. I don't know where you got salad from.

Radrappy wrote:

No. This movie was a lot of dumb antics with no humour, so-called fights with no tension, a villain with no power or credibility, and it has no love or respect for the actual DBZ series. And those transformations . . . ugh.

Resurrection F is so badly written it comes off as a piece of eye-roll-inducing fan fiction . . . except it is just a blatant cash grab that is actually canon to the franchise (unfortunately). Toriyama is nowhere near the storyteller he used to be, and he's now resorted to milking fans with this tripe.

That's my main issue with DBZ in general(DB to an extend). When the man is focusing,he is just at it; not so much when comes to the fights which are bombastic nonsense.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I'd disdained DBZ for many years, as I viewed it as the culmination of every single bad anime trope that initially drove me away from the medium, and even though I'm watching Kai on Toonami now, it's more for the sake of saying I have than because I'm taking genuine enjoyment out of it. So color me shocked when I sat through a few episodes of the original Dragon Ball some time back and found myself greatly enjoying it. It's a genuinely fun adventure romp, without all of the roided-out yelling and exponential power levels that DBZ seems to employ in place of plot or character development. I wish that Toriyama had stayed with that mold, instead of devolving into a mess of aliens and scouters and androids and lord knows what else. Though I guess when a literal deus ex machina forms the very foundation of your story, it's inevitable that you'll wind up abusing it at some point.
Radrappy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Radrappy wrote:
who peed in your salad?

Well duh, Toriyama did.

Radrappy wrote:

It sounds to me what you don't like is *drumroll* Dragonball.

Nothing in Resurrection F was worse or better than the run-on-sentence styled story telling of the android saga (where some old human scientist is somehow able to make robot teenagers that are way stronger than freeza) or majin buu saga(where additional forms and transformations were invented just to sell toys and had hardly any narrative significance other than to buy time).

And hey it was plenty funny. Jaco was a delight to see on-screen.
AlexStrider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:44 am Reply with quote
Radrappy wrote:

It sounds to me what you don't like is *drumroll* Dragonball.

Nothing in Resurrection F was worse or better than the run-on-sentence styled story telling of the android saga (where some old human scientist is somehow able to make robot teenagers that are way stronger than freeza) or majin buu saga(where additional forms and transformations were invented just to sell toys and had hardly any narrative significance other than to buy time).

And hey it was plenty funny. Jaco was a delight to see on-screen.

No, the problem with Dragon Ball Super and the most recent DB movies is that all enemies have a power level so high that only Goku and/or Vegeta are able to defeat them...And the other Z warriors are only spectators. Do you remember when Tenshinhan was able to stop Cell for a couple of moments, to make androids escape? Or When Piccolo seemed to have a chance against Freeza (on Namek) and Cell (1st form)?
At least in Resurrection of F. they could make Gohan fight against Freeza, he's a (Super) Sayan, after all!
Total disappointment...
And how could one of the weakest enemies in DB history hurt Goku in his SSGSS form, I wonder...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2