• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The King of Fighters XIV Introduced With 3D Visuals for PS4

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, what I mean is that when 2-D platformers went from sprite-based to 3-D CGI-based, I saw little fuss over it all. If anything, New Super Mario Bros. sold so well that it indicates 3-D CGI is a lot bigger draw.

I'm not really seeing why people would prefer sprites over 3-D CGI without knowing anything else about a game except out of nostalgia. (Then again, I do also see 2-D vs. 3-D in animation circles, so it's probably the same deal here.)
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I almost want to think that this game was only recently given the greenlight, and this is all that the team could come up with in time for TGS. Remember that a Chinese company purchased 81.25% of SNK Playmore stock from Kawasaki just this past March, with the intent of revitalizing the company's IPs in various ways, ala Marvel. This could just be the first thing to be announced from that new majority owner, and they just wanted to announce a new KOF as soon as possible to hype people up. The footage is a bit rough, but it's not outright terrible. I'm sure it will improve as time goes on, regardless.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
That's a good point. According to this account on Sonic 2006, this is what happened to the game repeatedly: They were asked to present something to upcoming events when the project was nowhere near a satisfactory state. I wouldn't be surprised this that was what was happening here too.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
SNK has bad luck in the 3D Graphic department, however I hope that this time is the reverse.
Otherwise this looks nicely awfully decent as long as Gameplay goes.

Agreed. There was another KOF game they released on the PS2 which was a 3D fighting platform, though I didn't spend too long playing it. We'll have to see what they can pull out for this one though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
FalconPunch wrote:
SNK has bad luck in the 3D Graphic department, however I hope that this time is the reverse.
Otherwise this looks nicely awfully decent as long as Gameplay goes.

Agreed. There was another KOF game they released on the PS2 which was a 3D fighting platform, though I didn't spend too long playing it. We'll have to see what they can pull out for this one though.

Maximum Impact 1 and 2(aka KoF 2006 in NA). For 3D fighters ala Tekken/Virtua Fighter they were pretty good. Mostly because I prefer motion move inputs over the traditional 3D fighter style of button combinations.

That said, I don't expect KOFXIV to be a 3D fighter, but a 2D fighter with 3D graphics and 2D hitboxes. Like Street Fighter IV/V.

I'm hype.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I hope is not as rushed as KOF12 where they did not only forget K' and Mai, but also a freaking boss

actually they did have a boss. sure they forgot K and Mai , but they definitely had a boss and one that was freaking hardcore difficult and made DOA's Alpha 152 look easy , like Orochi from 1997, Igtniz from 2001 and Omega Rugal from 2002.not to mention the younger Geese from Neowave.

those final bosses were ridiculously difficult even for a KOF game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The issue is that gamers want to know that with a change in the look of a game, the quality is still there. Look at the success of Mario in 3D vs the success of Sonic in 3D. Mario continues to be beloved, while Sonic can't catch a break.

I would say that KoF's choice of 3D characters in this makes some gamers uneasy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Departures from series' staples tend to have high hurdles to overcome, plus classical 2d fighting series have a tradition of beautiful spritework. I myself have a instinctive reaction to this of '3d visuals? This isn't the main KoF anymore'

As for prior examples, my impression is that the respective fans don't think so highly of Maximum Impact (I would agree that the main series is better) or Street Fighter EX (the 3d spinoff series in the late 90's that a lot of people wouldn't remember) (I...didn't care enough about it to actually play it much myself).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
Hmm, fair enough. I didn't play many video games until the 5th generation, when pretty much everything became 3-D, so 3-D gaming is what is my frame of reference. By comparison, frame-by-frame sprites that isn't ultra-smooth in 60 fps just feels nostalgically quaint and its fans feel old-fashioned to me. (No offense to them; it's just how I view sprite-based games.)

I suppose that does make sense, if a game started with sprite-based graphics. The Smash Bros. games have always had 3-D graphics ever since it got started, so no one complains about it using 3-D graphics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2