• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Drops From List of Top 100 Brands

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
It seems a lot of the brands on the list are relevant to big business (i.e. Oracle, SAP, J.P. Morgan, Accenture) but not necessarily to ordinary people so I don't know if I'd make too much hay of Nintendo not being on this list, although, yes, Nintendo's relevance has declined in the smartphone era, not that I'd ever switch to playing games on a phone.

I'm surprised Ferrari isn't on this list.

Last edited by Tenchi on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
XSp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
This will be the true test of statement regarding the new Nintendo boss in keeping his promise to follow Iwata footsteps or just bow down to tone deaf claims by some clueless "Interbrand Japan" CEO.
Nintendo doesn't need to be on the smartphone market. Loosing focus on their portable and console system could be a very poor strategy for the company and it's fans.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
They need to diversify; can't put all their eggs in one basket. Gotta brandish their brand name where people are going and where the growth area is. In Japan, mobile gaming has already overtaken console gaming:

Doesn't mean they have to leave their bread & butter. Just that they can't ignore the bigger and still growing market. They have to get their brand name where people could see, and have a foot in there. That's how ya grow your brand and keep it relevant. If people don't encounter your brand except rarely, out of sight out of mind. Just business.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Mobile gaming, even if we hate it. Is a very growing market.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Started in the top 100, now we here.
Artesox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
3DS is still the best selling hardware of this generation, it feels a bit odd to sacrifice a slice of its market Confused

Ah whatever, as long as I get my games I'm fine Wink
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
As seemingly discouraging as this is, I don't see how no longer being in the Top 100 of Interbrand would be damaging to Nintendo, at least not in a huge way.

Sure, their little venture into the smartphone world will help them out a bit, but they shouldn't rely on it too much, as the smartphone market is fickle. As long as Nintendo keeps making good gaming titles for the console market, they'll live.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
As a lifelong Nintendo fan I got sad and then I realized I was reading this article while listening to music on my iPhone after Googling to get here while using Microsoft windows and drinking a Coke.....O.o
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised to see them back on this list in due time.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I heard it was because Nintendo isn't embracing mobile enough, seriously mobile is primarily garbage tier in gaming especially in Japan where it's over 90% mud, crude, and sludge, you can find a mobile game that's not P2W or P2E in the West, you can also find a couple of F2S games on mobile where you only pay one fee for the full game or unlimited credits. Good luck finding that in Japan that isn't a port or a remake, SE had a subscription based service for cloud gaming but it didn't catch on, sad because that kind of innovation is what's needed for mobile and not the typical F2P money pits that requires grinding that exceeds The Legend of Legacy with none of the enjoyment that game had or paying hundreds or thousands of dollars per month to enjoy.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Sure, their little venture into the smartphone world will help them out a bit, but they shouldn't rely on it too much, as the smartphone market is fickle. As long as Nintendo keeps making good gaming titles for the console market, they'll live.

This is about branding, not about selling or marketing. The value of the brand is how much awareness the brand is on people's minds. (For instance, Valve is a good game company, but its brand isn't often on people's minds, so its brand value is not that high.)
ajr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
Seems odd to downgrade a brand for what they didn't do, rather than what they did. After all, there's an infinite number of other things they didn't do. Maybe I'm just ignorant though.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote
^ I don't think it's so much that Nintendo was "downgraded", it's that other brands have more upwards momentum according to however this ranking is tabulated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:51 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

^ I don't think it's so much that Nintendo was "downgraded", it's that other brands have more upwards momentum according to however this ranking is tabulated.

Yeah, it's a relative list - how your brand has done relative to your peers. It's not an absolute measurement.

Kinda like those websites that stuck to PC-only interface, as mobile usage was expanding. They may still be doing well on the PC platform, but as more and more people are web-surfing on their mobile devices, the absence of those PC-only websites on mobile hurts their brands relative to their peers who have added mobile-friendly websites. Those people don't see your brand when they're using mobile; they don't think about your brand when they're web-surfing on mobile. No presence, out of sight, out of mind.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken Nintendo has seemed to be kind of slow in entering whatever market seems to be big. But once they get in, then they overtake that market in time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2