• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pumpkin Scissors.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I think its a mix or in between. WWII is when gas weapons were introduced, and I believe machine guns too. Since gas weapons and automatic weapons are presented as top secret and/or in development weapons, I'm thinking its in between. I don't know jack about tanks, so if any of the tanks or other weapons they used were real, that could provide some hints.

I believe you have your World War's mixed up. World War One (WWI) was known for it's trench warfare (due to machine guns) and vicious gas attack. Tank hadn't really been developed and for most of the war Germany and France were fighting back and forth over about a mile of land. So more then anything it's just that this show has the feel of Germany after losing the war, not necessarily after WWII, if anything it's more like WWI.

Curtis W. wrote:
why exactly does this show have to be plot driven. I like the fact that the show is pretty simple. I was not expecting something like Mushishi or Basilisk. I have to disagree, I think that this is one of the best anime I have seen this year, It is in my top 10.

Your in that not everything has to have an amazing story or plot, but for studio Gonzo (the folks who make this show) this is like their signature move. The series starts with a cool idea and then the first few episodes are good and then the plot development stops or it's get added in the last 5 episodes. And make no mistake there is an underlining plot, there is someone behind everything, pumpkin scissors has even said it themselves.

Delta
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I think its a mix or in between. WWII is when gas weapons were introduced, and I believe machine guns too. Since gas weapons and automatic weapons are presented as top secret and/or in development weapons, I'm thinking its in between. I don't know jack about tanks, so if any of the tanks or other weapons they used were real, that could provide some hints.

I believe you have your World War's mixed up. World War One (WWI) was known for it's trench warfare (due to machine guns) and vicious gas attack. Tank hadn't really been developed and for most of the war Germany and France were fighting back and forth over about a mile of land. So more then anything it's just that this show has the feel of Germany after losing the war, not necessarily after WWII, if anything it's more like WWI.

Despite my mixing up of the which war introduced the weapons, that's more or less what I was thinking. I was almost certain WWII because the weapons simply didn't seem advanced enough, but I wasn't sure which weapons (gas, tanks, machine guns) had been introduced in which war or how advanced they had been.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I like the show so far it has some interesting characters and some nice looking animation. Although, it's not my favorite out of the subs I'm watching, it's definitely entertaining.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:42 am Reply with quote
Curtis W. wrote:
I dissagree, I have liked everything that gonzo has done. That is just my op though.

[EDIT: Original post deleted for excessively quoting and adding nothing to the disucssion with that one-liner reply. -TK]

I also have like a great deal of Gonzo (There are certain show that I do not though) show, but what are you disagree on? Please explain, do you think that this show needs more development?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm late on this, but I finished the series right before my little break and the announcing of the license and just wanted to throw in some good words for it in hopes that all of you will give this a chance when it comes out.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. True, the first 8 episodes are rather episodic, and almost dull lacking any kind of consistency, but the people at Gonzo did a great job in developing the characters and some potentially great story on the side afterwards.

Alvis is easily one of my top female characters of all time after seeing her in the last 1/3 of the series with that whole speech on cutting down evil and showing what it means to be a true noble. Her conviction and strong will with a touch of that firey and naive spirit that young girls have when emerging into adulthood was a nice burst of energy at the end. She reminds me of a less disciplined Saber from F s/n.

Anyway, I really am hoping for a seuqel as they've got a lot of great plot elements left to cover spoiler[ Invisible 9, Silver Wheel, and the aftermath of Alvis' actions at that ball and how it might affect society.]

Personally, I thought spoiler[ the story did a great job of giving a rather subtle illustration on poverty and socioeconomic status. You've got the nobles, commoners, and military all jumbled up and trying to figure things out, but of course there are always the good and bad eggs of a crowd.] For me, it served as a nice little reminder on we can sometimes take life for granted or how tough it can be for others.

Oh, and I'm glad the whole ATT-901 thing for Orlando wasn't overused. It looks cool and all, but they showed it surprisingly less frequent than I expected. I'm curious to see how they might write or explain that into his character in the future as well.

Anyway, I gave it a Very Good. B+ on the art, animation and an A- on story, music (I'm a Kou Ohtani fan and also like the OP and ED songs), and voice acting (soley because I've fallen for Alvis and her lines toward the end). I'll get into more detail later if anyone is interested...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Overall it was good though like many Gonzo titles I've seen it badly needs a second season/sequel. I also was hoping we'd see the LT spoiler[wield that awesome oversized double bladed sword again.]
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Tanks as we currently know them were first used in WWI, not WWII

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanks

Now I don't know if the tanks used in this anime are correct to the time period but the clothing happens to be pretty accurate for post WWI. So what I think this show is going for is a Alternative Universe, post WWI look verse a WWII look.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I hope a second season for this comes too, it ended well but left it open for MORE. As Kruszer said the double bladewas awesome and I wished she pulled it out from some wierd obscure place when fightning that assassin bodyguard at the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:45 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Anyway, I really am hoping for a seuqel as they've got a lot of great plot elements left to cover spoiler[ Invisible 9, Silver Wheel, and the aftermath of Alvis' actions at that ball and how it might affect society.]

Anyway, I gave it a Very Good. B+ on the art, animation and an A- on story, music (I'm a Kou Ohtani fan and also like the OP and ED songs), and voice acting (soley because I've fallen for Alvis and her lines toward the end). I'll get into more detail later if anyone is interested...

I am really torn on this series seeing as how it does have some episodic episodes that were unbearable, but yet the overall story arc was interesting and had me waiting for the next episode. Basically I have this feeling that this show is one of those big advertisements to read the manga....seeing as Gonzo has a lot of shows there currently working on. And it's such a bummer considering where the last episode left off.

Like you noted I am also a fan of the opening, while the ending I though was pretty good it just wasn't my favorite. I definitely is a show that I would tell my anime friends to check out although I am little torn with the lack of an ending. Hopefully the manga being released by Del Rey will shed some light on the lost ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2