• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Makes An Anime A Crossover Hit?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
I mean, you had Fruits Basket and Ouran that both got really popular, but not popular enough to make it onto Toonami. Pretty much anything that made it onto US TV besides magical girls was aimed at boys from maybe 10-20. (Not to say it couldn't appeal to others, but that was their target demographic)

Well, when those shows came out, "Toonami" was really the "Adult Swim Saturdays" bloc. To be on that, those shows generally fit Adult Swim's mode of being particularly violent, gritty and/or sexy (less so the last one than the first two).

I think it makes sense why not many shojo would make there way on there, particularly Furuba and Ouran. And why the exceptions might include magical-girl shows (but I don't think that Toonami has had any since Sailor Moon. Correct me if I'm wrong).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
A thing that might also help is if it's an original anime. That is, you can potentially attract fans by having a series where you don't deviate from the source material like it would if it was based off a manga or light novel.

When dealing with a mainstream audience, this really doesn't matter unless the show has a non-ending. A mainstream audience who isn't already into anime in general is unlikely to even know that a show they're watching is based on pre-existing material let alone if the show deviates from that material.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
What did I just read? I have comments and I apologize if they sound condescending.
Quote:
Westerners tend to relate more strongly to shows that are in a less specific

Like Death Note- Oh wait....
Quote:
It can't be too pervy

Code Geass, Full Metal Panic, Gurren Lagann, and Kill la Kill automatically sinks this argument into the dirt.
Quote:
It has to appeal to a broad range of ages

Most anime in the US is considered "adult stuff" unless it is something like Pokemon or One Piece; Trigun alone is treated as an adult series despite it being not. What kids will watch something TVMA that airs after midnight?
Quote:
there's a general rule of thumb when judging anime: good anime is one you want to show your friends, but a truly great anime is one that you want to show your parents.

I judge anime all the time and this never once acts as a factor. My parents are not open minded to animation, even if it is just CGI backgrounds, let alone anime.
Quote:
It has to be GOOD

Awfully subjective!
Quote:
They've had at least consistently decent animation, pleasant artistic design, and stories that really grab hold of you.

Like Southern Cross, Rayearth, X, Patlabor, Madoka Magica, Kill la Kill, Watamote, Nanoha, Vivi Dred Operation, Casshern Sins, Outlaw Star, Cardcaptor Sakura, Chobits, and- Wait those were bad and don't have that yet are massive hits....

There are also anime that have all that yet don't sell like hotcakes for some reason such as: Aquarion in its entirety, Gravion, Godannar, Samurai Flamenco, Star Driver, Fafner, Zegapain, Dougram, Dunbine, every Braves series that isn't Goldran, the Guyver franchise, Neo Ranga, everything ever made by Go Nagai or has his name on it, God Mars, Night Head Genesis, both halves of Freezing, Dai-Guard, Angel Links, the Robot Romance trilogy, Orguss, Dancouga, Macross 7 and Zero, VOTOMS, the Zoids franchise, Majestic Prince, the original Casshern, E.Y.E.S. of Mars, Nobunaga The Fool, and the best anime of all time 1001 Nights.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, I never bother to ask my parents to be involved in my anime-manga hobby Anime hyper

Back then when I was still underage, my parents monitored my fandom every now and then, just to make sure I didn't do anything naughty, and to check how massive the fandom was. Because the larger the fandom, the more goodies it had, and I certainly would spend more money on them ^^

That's the extent of my parents' involvement.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
It has to be marketed well too. Both Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z were failures in US syndication and didn't achieve much attention or success until they were on Toonami. Also, there was no way the original Dragon Ball was ever going to be a hit here without DBZ. It was well liked here, but it took DBZ being a huge mainstream hit before Americans would dare think about watching the original DB. It had bombed not once but TWICE on it's own.

And of course, there was nothing like DBZ on TV at the time, but I think part of it's appeal was it's memorable characters, gripping story, and interesting artwork. Obviously, the main draw was the action, but the characters, art, and story are what kept me watching. Also, DBZ was the very first show I watched with an over-arching storyline, and I thought that was really, really cool at the time!

But overall, I think a lot of the stuff that makes anime popular here are the same traits that make ANY fiction entertainment popular here.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
• It needs to be action-oriented

I don't think it's entirely important. Because look at Totoro.

Quote:
Even if you dislike Miyzaki, you must admit that the dude does not make boring films.

Actually, Howl was pretty uninteresting. And have you actually sat through all of Future Boy Conan? It's technically a show, not a film, but it definitely qualifies as boring.

Quote:
• It has to appeal to a broad range of ages

I wouldn't say that, because people who like Pokemon do not necessarily buy other stuff, and vice versa. l would be more specific, and argue that it has to appeal to at least both genders, as well as the 18-25 sweet spot. Though 'older' [I.E. middle-aged and higher] women don't really watch anime in either country.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
I agree with DuelGundam2099 that Justin's analysis seems a little off, so instead I would propose listing shows that can be agreed were anime and were popular enough to be seen or heard of by people (in the US?) who do not watch anime shows in general and see what elements they all have in common. From my microcosm of acquaintances over the years, the list is as follows in somewhat of an order

1. Spirited Away
2. Ponyo
3. Naruto
4. InuYasha
5. DBZ

Action (3.5/5), Relatably non-Japanese (2/5), Not age-specific (2??/5), GOOD (yeah, define that), Non-pervy (2?/5 depending) Backed by major US movie/media company (5/5 if Funi counts, 4/5 otherwise). Thus, I'd argue that there are plenty of good anime that could be "cross-over hits" if they had proper backing, Justin's criteria notwithstanding.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
Personally I think Attack on Titan came at exactly the right time to ride that violent fantasy wave that Game of Thrones primed the public for.

It also helps that 3D Maneuver Gear is one of the cooler bits of fantasy tech to come out of genre fiction in the last decade.

DuelGundam2099 wrote:

Quote:
It can't be too pervy

Code Geass, Full Metal Panic, Gurren Lagann, and Kill la Kill automatically sinks this argument into the dirt.

Except, those shows aren't broadly popular. They're only mega popular in anime fandom circles. Attack on Titan had MINECRAFT & DOCTOR WHO levels of popular culture penetration. They sell its merch at Hot Topic for god's sake!
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis' answers would be ok if he didn't equate Westerner with American. The two concepts are not the same.

American fandom doesn't like shoujo and sports anime. In Europe sports anime and shoujo are very well liked. Lots of anime that has had success in Europe and latin America hasn't even made a dent in American fandom. So let's put things in perspetive shall we ?

Americans love blood, gore and violence. Day to day slice of life anime not so much. There is a reason Touch and Kimagure Orange Road and a host of magical girls shows have never aired in the US.

• It has to be relatable to non-Japanese people

Yes obviously.

• It needs to be action-oriented

No not necessarily. It varies by country.

• It can't be too pervy

It can be pervy all it wants. Censorship will take care of it. Every country had censorship when it comes to broadcast tv.
Perversion also varies by country. What is acceptable on Italian or French tv may be off limits to American tv. Think boobs.

• It has to appeal to a broad range of ages

Nope. It needs to be mainstream not late night anime. Broad range of ages doesn't enter into the equation.

• It has to be GOOD

Nope. Masterpieces are few and far between. Most anime is low quality. Low quality can have success, just look at Sailor Moon (the classic series) or Saint Seiya. Neither of those are what you would call masterpieces and yet they are vastly successful franchises.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Attack on Titan has MINECRAFT & DOCTOR WHO levels of popular culture penetration. They sell its merch at Hot Topic for god's sake!
Sorry for the toofer, but Hot Topic from my observation is only inhabited by 15-20 year olds so not the best barometer of broad public appeal, but your point is good otherwise. However, I doubt most random people would know either Minecraft or DW. The live action AoT showing in wonderful San Diego was suprisingly well attended in a ~300 person auditorium, so maybe not that big either.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Lots of anime that has had success in Europe and latin America hasn't even made a dent in American fandom.

You mean like Saint Seiya?
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
I've already seen countless people complain that there's "too much talking" in the later parts of the manga (not to mention all the criticism of the first season for being "too slow")

There's honestly more action in the political arc (second half of the second season) than in the Female Titan arc, it just has less frequent drama - but it's still there. It was painful reading the manga once a month with the tedious pace it was going, that's why I think people complained. In the least, the anime can only improve that.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Lots of anime that has had success in Europe and latin America hasn't even made a dent in American fandom.

You mean like Saint Seiya?

Yes, Saint Seiya is but one example.
Even more egregious ones are the sports animes. From wrestling, to football, to volleyball, to boxing, to basketball,. to baseball etc... these kinds of anime don't succeed on American tv.

Different countries have different cultures and they related to anime in different ways. There isn't 1 kind of anime that's going to succeed the world over. No matter how hard the Japanese or the Americans wish it were so.
It's like searching for the philosopher's stone. You're doomed from the start.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:22 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
Attack on Titan has MINECRAFT & DOCTOR WHO levels of popular culture penetration. They sell its merch at Hot Topic for god's sake!
Sorry for the toofer, but Hot Topic from my observation is only inhabited by 15-20 year olds so not the best barometer of broad public appeal, but your point is good otherwise. However, I doubt most random people would know either Minecraft or DW. The live action AoT showing in wonderful San Diego was suprisingly well attended in a ~300 person auditorium, so maybe not that big either.

I work in a retail environment that sells nerdy goods in a large mall in a very affluent area, with many high-end gifts (Star Trek/Wars, Doctor Who, anime, video game, etc.). I promise you: anyone who has ever talked to a child aged between the years of 6 and 13 knows Minecraft. They all play it, or watch Youtubers play it. It is, hands down, the single most popular thing among all children of an entire generation. Nothing else comes remotely close anymore.

Doctor Who is sliiightly less mainstream, but is absolutely huge among middle school girls and adults about 30-45 (and thus watched the Fourth Doctor when it aired). I often need to explain what it is to customers. It's definitely gaining more and more attention by the average person with its improved presence on viewing platforms, though. It even plays on the Disney Channel.

Also, it is the stuff that appeals to those 15-20 year olds that pretty much determines how "mainstream" something is. Those kids talk about the stuff all the freaking time, and their parents get to hear about it all the time. The people who talk to these kids know Black Butler and Hetalia because those kids never shut up about it, blow all of their money (or their parents' money) on merchandise for the shows, wear the shirts they bought at Hot Topic all the time, post about their reactions to individual episodes on social media, cosplay the characters in everyday life, and nickname themselves after the characters. I've long ago lost count of how many Scout Regiment cosplayers have come to my store, and how many girls in Ciel wigs with eyepatches have wandered in. The average convention age skews younger that it used to for a reason.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
Personally for me? I'm not too much of a fan of series that pander too heavily to Western audiences. Japanese animation is unique because it is made for a different audience with different sensibilities.

ParkerALx wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
That's not a quality, that's a strike against it. Less then half the episodes are actually relevant to the plot.

It would only be a strike if Cowboy Bebop was a plot-driven show -- which it isn't. It's a character-driven work that focuses on the lives of a motley group of space-faring misfits. Not all shows need a neat story arc that progresses from one plot point to the next. Sometimes it's fun simply to watch the lives of likable characters unfold.

Cheers! Now you know why we like Slice-of-Life. To be honest though, one of my friends hated Cowboy Bebop and was bored to tears because he had no overarching narrative to latch on to.

Top Gun wrote:
WashuTakahashi wrote:
bobob101 wrote:
I think I'll add one more criteria: The first episode has to completely sell the show

This for sure. Any series that starts weak and you have to convince someone to watch by "It gets good after episode 3" isn't going to make it, no matter how amazing the series may get. People are more likely to stick around for a mediocre series that had a strong start than an amazing series that started slow/weak.

I think you're absolutely right about this, and thinking more about it it's probably a bigger factor than we realize. The thing about American television series is that, traditionally speaking, they tend to lead off strong, and then gradually begin to slide in quality over time. Sure, there are a few all-time classics like Seinfeld that took a season or two to find their feet, but they're overwhelmed by cases like The Simpsons where everyone's left saying, "Man, the first X seasons were SO much better than what's on now!" (Lost is probably the most egregious example of this for me personally.) Many anime series tend to be slow-starters; I can't count how many times I've seen a show's fans trot out the "It gets better!" line. Whether it's an accurate claim or not, in an incredibly crowded media market, casual fans are going to flock to titles that draw them in right off the bat. Among many others, DBZ's high-powered fighting and AoT's cataclysmic prologue certainly fit the bill.

As you also noted, I think this phenomenon also explains the longevity of series like Bleach, which even most ardent fans tend to view as having fallen significantly from its heights. A strong start goes a long way in engendering goodwill towards a series, and it can take a lot of mediocre content before that's finally exhausted for all but the most hardcore fans. Regardless of their overall reputations, all of the series that Justin mentioned had at least some sort of hook right at the start.

This. So. Much. From what I understand from my friend who's a huge American TV Series buff, shows over there work on something called a pilot, where everyone is used to judging a book by its cover. I had to convince him so hard to watch shows like Shin Sekai Yori, Madoka and Haruhi where they show but blow your mind later.

Personally, I love shows that try to trick you into believing one thing while doing another. It provides so much re-watch value when you know what's really going on in the back ground. All the details suddenly make sense and it's amazing. If I could liken them to a movie, Hot Fuzz would be a great example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8