• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Theron & Rebecca's Anime in America 2015

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I really need to get around to finishing Cross Ange. It's just that the first few episodes are so painful to get through . . .
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I expected this article to be posted on January 1st, but today works much better for me; thanks. While I don't agree with the choices for top titles, I agree with some of the criticism on mediocre titles.

These are my general observations of 2015 anime:

Best overall series: Death Parade - interesting concept, emotional payoff, Madhouse at its best
Favorite series: Blood Blockade Battlefront - fun action, powerful emotional moments, tremendous production values
Favorite character: Shirayuki - smart, brave, independent character
Best physical release: A Lull in the Sea BD PE - solid show, strong dub, good packaging, OST
Surprise: Tokyo Ghoul √A - for how unexpectedly emotional it was for me
Fall from grace: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works II - interesting stuff from part one gone, long stretches of boredom, uncomfortable fanservice
Worst series: Nisekoi: - almost no story, comedy stopped being funny, no resolution
Best production values: Blood Blockade Battlefront - great animation, interesting art style, Rie Matsumoto's superb direction, great musical score
Favorite OP: Charlotte - strong song, nice visual direction, intriguing character foreshadowing
Favorite ED: One-Punch Man - very pretty visuals, soothing sounding song
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In fact, all of DanMachi was a voice acting surprise, as the cast pulled together to make the silliest features of the story's world feel totally plausible and to make each character sound unique and like a thinking, feeling person, which can be especially difficult in a fantasy or science fiction setting where so much jargon is involved.

With regard to the Japanese dub performances, I would note that both Shokugeki and DanMachi are voice directed by Jin Aketagawa. I've come to pay attention to his name a lot over the years (ever since hearing some surprisingly out of the usual type performances from a few VA's in REC and sola), and feels like I can always expect something really interesting when he's involved. Saori Goto had a good season this summer. Not only agree about Nao, but she was a lot of fun as Hyouka in Shimoneta too.

angelmcazares wrote:
Best physical release: A Lull in the Sea BD PE - solid show, strong dub, good packaging, OST

I agree with this 100%. Talk about hitting a sweet spot for me. This is how a PE should be done, with much more bang for your buck than what you get with Aniplex and PonyCan.
jppcouto

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Character of the Year:
Rebecca's Pick: Chibi-Usa, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal

SERIOUSLY?! This is not a fangirl blog but one of the most popular anime website, where reviewers should be impartial.

Last edited by jppcouto on Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
There is a lot in this years edition i would agree with.

Chivalry was indeed a surprise for me this year as well...What makes it so different compared to the rest of the battle tournament series is how it develops it's characters and Romance.

Glad to see some of my other favorites getting a few mention's which include Gate, Overlord and Actually I am.

One punch man's opening is truly the best when compared to other openings it really gets you pumped.

2015 was another good year and 2016 is shaping up to be even better if not one of the best in years seeing as all the hyped out series coming out.
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I really need to get around to finishing Cross Ange. It's just that the first few episodes are so painful to get through . . .

Stop, it's actually really horrible
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
jppcouto wrote:
Quote:
Character of the Year:
Rebecca's Pick: Chibi-Usa, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal

SERIOUSLY?! This is not a fangirl blog but one of the most popular anime website, where reviewers should be impartial.

Rebecca justified her pick with reasonable arguments, which was good enough for me. You are, of course, welcome to disagree.

EDIT: Did you actually watch out the rest of the series, gedata? Because I did and I strongly disagree with you on this. Perhaps you could provide some reasoning?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Theron: Mine is the “disappointing sequels” category. Although I am giving this award to Fate/kaleid liner for piddling around for six episodes (out of a mere 10) before actually getting to what made previous installments fun (namely, hyped-up action)

Oof, I can't disagree with this. 2wei and 2wei Herz really should've just been one 13-episode series, but god forbid Silver Link break from their 10-episode standards.

The worst part is how they completely ruined the end of the series. God knows how they'll remmedy that come 3rei.

Oh wait; I know! With six more episodes of filler before the plot ever begins!
Videogamep

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised there wasn't any mention of the Death Parade opening. That was one of my favorites and easily the most memorable of the year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Ah, UtaPri. I'm not sure if at this point I just have whatever the anime viewer's form of Stockholm Syndrome is where this franchise is involved or if I actually enjoy it. But no matter – I know the story of Mountain Dew Laser Eyes Haruka and her ever-increasing harem of gorgeous young(ish) performers isn't objectively good. In fact, it seems to get a little dumber with each season. But it's so silly and so earnest while it's being silly that I tamp down my second-hand embarrassment with glee each time a new season is announced. Hell, I have figurines from the show. I think I may have a problem, actually. Help me.

Thank you for calling the Goddess Helpline; how may I help you?
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:

Oof, I can't disagree with this. 2wei and 2wei Herz really should've just been one 13-episode series, but god forbid Silver Link break from their 10-episode standards.

The worst part is how they completely ruined the end of the series. God knows how they'll remmedy that come 3rei.

Oh wait; I know! With six more episodes of filler before the plot ever begins!

I haven't read the source material myself, but from what I've heard, they are adapting it pretty directly, so this isn't really Silver Link's fault. And it's technically not filler. Personally, I would have much preferred for them to cut a lot of it, but after the 2nd season I came to terms with what it was going to be and am sort of enjoying it, I guess..
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
but god forbid Silver Link break from their 10-episode standards.

The 10 episode thing is due to Kadokawa (just look at many of their other series, like Blood Lad, Chaika 2, Love Stage, etc.). No other series Silver Link has animated has had 10-episode runs.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Best scene for me would have been the climax of the Shirobako Episode 23.
I was tearing up like Aoi.
Taskforce

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Shomin sample and Bikini Warriors concepts were actually pretty stupid, but no mention of Lance N' Masque? It was a concept so terrible there wasn't any chance of saving it. This should have been the clear winner for that category. What is amazing is the show actually managed to take the horrible concept and make it worse in execution. Maybe there should be an award for that.
Zepoleba

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
It often seems to me that people who write about entertainment are so disconnected from the people that watch it.
Comparing the results of ANN's 2015 mega poll to their staff picks makes me wonder why critics are so off the mark. Is there some rule that writers should avoid shows that are popular with fans? Or are these kinds of articles meant to be personal and not honest summations of the years offerings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6