• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sega Files 'Aoki Kakumei no Valkyria' Trademark

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsundereikemen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
I've been continuing the first game for days now and I still really like it ♡ and I really wanted to play the 3rd one...but they didn't release it outside of Japan and it makes me upset Anime cry

I can't wait for this and hope they'd release the 3rd one first (Western release) before this one gets released in Japan Sad
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
It'll be another non-localized mobile f2p game.

It's Sega.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
It'll be another non-localized mobile f2p game.

It's Sega.

It makes sense, you don't make money in US for those games. It has under 500 downloads in Apple app store most of the time.

Same with Vita games. Sold 50k in japan, 2k in us.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they'll release it for console/PC, I think the PC version did decent in sale.

Played 2nd and in the transition to portable it lost pretty much everything that made it interesting.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Not getting my hopes up...but will be pleasantly surprised if it's an actual console game
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Maybe they'll release it for console/PC, I think the PC version did decent in sale.

Played 2nd and in the transition to portable it lost pretty much everything that made it interesting.

I am kind of surprised this wasn't a PC game to start with. I am pretty bad at figuring out sales from Steam but the game seemed to sell well when released for the PC. Let's hope Sega figured out this game audience is closer to their Total War PC audience then the PS Vita audience.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I think the original VC did pretty well in the US. The US, from what I've been told, isn't big on handhelds when it comes to games, and VC2 and 3 only were made for handhelds, so it doesn't surprise me that those titles did poorly in the US.

I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing that Sega had made a robust sequel to the original VC and released it on the PS3. I almost certainly would've bought it. But they didn't so that's all water under the bridge.

A shame, but it seems like Sega just doesn't know how to manage their IP franchises very well. I'd say they dropped the ball with VC.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
The US, from what I've been told, isn't big on handhelds when it comes to games, and VC2 and 3 only were made for handhelds, so it doesn't surprise me that those titles did poorly in the US.

Well, 3 didn't come to the US at all. As for 2, I don't think it was just the hand held part but which hand held it was on which resulted in very low sales in the US and caused them to skip VC3. The PSP sank like a rock in the US. DS games actually did well (game dependent obviously) in the US.

meiam wrote:

They might, but you have to remember that one of the main reasons they went portable was because of lower development costs. If its console, its going to be PS4 which is massively more expensive to make a game for. PC would be about the same, but there is no reason they wouldn't do a console version if they did a PC version as the current gen consoles use the same architecture.

I think the losses going into VC2 out weigh the gains, but there were improvements. By far the most important being the class balances / class changes. Scouts were stupidly broken in VC1 which was toned down in addition to some other changes.

Also I would say the main reason VC1 is leaps and bounds better has nothing to do with VC2 being portable. I mean they forced the story into a high school setting so instead of the game feeling like it was about a war, it felt like a high school battle anime.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
By the way, to anyone who was interested in playing VC3 and have the PSP game, there was a complete fan translation for the "Extra" version of the game. Easily way better than VC2, I think VC3 is definitely worth your time if your willing to search it out.

Really hoping we see another title in the series on PS4 sometime down the line.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
My money says this will be a mobile online game of some sort.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
My money says this will be a mobile online game of some sort.

I think best case would be Vita, but mobile seems pretty likely. If it is either one, it won't be coming to the West.
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
While do think there's a good chance that's just going to be a social mobile game, remember the PC Steam version sold pretty well last year. I think there's an opportunity for Sega to make a cross platform (i.e. PC/PS4/XboxOne) sequel to the original.

Also, there already exists a mobile game for the series. Another one at this point in time, when it's faded as a franchise would be an odd move.
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of the franchise, well the three core games anyway.

But yeah, I was fairly confident the series was dead after the third game never (officially) made it west. Then they reduced it down to a pervy TCG for the next entry... and that didn't even make it west!

Anyway, a return to form PS4/Vita or PC game (that actually gets localized) would be a dream come true, but I'm not going to get too excited yet.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
While do think there's a good chance that's just going to be a social mobile game, remember the PC Steam version sold pretty well last year. I think there's an opportunity for Sega to make a cross platform (i.e. PC/PS4/XboxOne) sequel to the original.

Maybe for a port of an older game, but did it sell well enough to convince them to invest the rather enormous amount of money it takes to develop current generation console/pc games? I doubt it. Console game development has gotten to be an incredibly risky business due to how much of a financial investment they are. I mean VC didn't bomb; it sold over a million copies. They still decided to make the sequel on the PSP to save on development costs. This gen is even more expensive than the last one.
consignia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I need to quickly add that the port didn't rock the world, but made some tremors which might have raised some eyebrows.

I don't think the PSP versions were made purely for cheaper development costs though. The first PSP made was partly a rush job to concide with the anime, and the fact the PSP was a bigger platform in it's home country. The second one, OK that was cheap, but it was largely the same game using hardly any of it's own assets, expansive and better as it was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2