• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valkyrie Drive -Mermaid- (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That said, Kaneko put his all into giving every character unique breast, nipple, and areolae designs, probably the most varied I've ever seen in anime or h-anime.

Ya know....that's a very good point. On a quick glance back mentally through other topless heavy shows like Queen's Blade, Sister New Devil, DxD, Ikki Tousen, and older ones like Agent Aika the breasts on each character do run pretty similar once you take away size and skin tone. Kind of sad but hilarious that one of the best topics to discuss of a show is the varied uniqueness of each character's breasts and nipples. I have to say personally I also like the varied body types/shapes. Not the same figures proportionally. Mirei for example has broader shoulders and some nice hips in comparison to most anime female figures. At least I think so. So it's not just the breasts themselves that have more uniqueness and diversity. Which goes back to the point of just be about the T&A at this point. I mean as they say, in for a penny in for a pound. Just have enough plot to keep the story rolling and let the boobies fly.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I do have to agree with the above comment. Yep, I've noticed that as well. I was kind of surprised that such discussions of this nature were being discussed. You have to admit the creator is trying to give everyone some screen time. I had said awhile back to ep. 4, with the whole deal with Lady Lady. I asked will this be it? Nooo...and sure enough they FINALLY got around to THAT. I knew it was coming and sure enough I was right.

I'm also seeing folks bringing up 'Witchblade'. The story is picking up. And I pretty much predicted that there was going to be an event that was going to come up that would reveal some more backstory on Mirei but also open the door to where Tokonome's feelings lie on the matter.

There is a rough translation on some message boards, from the creator and he's been hinting that things are going to heat up now that Momoko has finally appeared. This is probably where conflict is going to reside.

Who are the watchers?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Sunovab**!!

I can summarize this in a few words from beginning to end.

Beginning: The power of "Pisces" is in your face, er...hands.

Middle: NOOOOOO!! NOOOOO!!! Not the BOOOBS!!!

End: WHO DA F** DID THIS???? Guru-neko must be AVENGED!!

If you've watched the show you'll probably figure it out by scene.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Sunovab**!!

I can summarize this in a few words from beginning to end.

Beginning: The power of "Pisces" is in your face, er...hands.

Middle: NOOOOOO!! NOOOOO!!! Not the BOOOBS!!!

End: WHO DA F** DID THIS???? Guru-neko must be AVENGED!!

If you've watched the show you'll probably figure it out by scene.

It is indeed a better description of events than I could possibly write out.
This was a decent episode for this series and hopefully what follows was worth this turn of events.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Sunovab**!!

So was amused by the post but I have a hard time imagining this anime being worth being that worked up over.

Yet at the same time I am impressed that they managed to implant a story into this female-fat-gland-overload structure. It is almost as if someone watched Queens Blade and wanted to to that but with some real sex involved.

Charlotte and her new lover -- very sensual in the bedroom there but at the end I think Charlotte got the notion that she had finally bitten off more than she could chew.

And I have to admit that I have some interest in seeing what happens with the "Gov'nur" now. The charade never made much sense to me.

Also I can't believe they are going to de-censor everything on the BD.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

It's already decensored on a TV channel. Except for some crotch shots, which there haven't been many of so far.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Sunovab**!!

So was amused by the post but I have a hard time imagining this anime being worth being that worked up over.

Yet at the same time I am impressed that they managed to implant a story into this female-fat-gland-overload structure. It is almost as if someone watched Queens Blade and wanted to to that but with some real sex involved.

Charlotte and her new lover -- very sensual in the bedroom there but at the end I think Charlotte got the notion that she had finally bitten off more than she could chew.

And I have to admit that I have some interest in seeing what happens with the "Gov'nur" now. The charade never made much sense to me.

Yeah it is somewhat surprising that there are some that have been entertained. It's a guilty pleasure for sure. I've seen some refer to it as their new "QB". I mean it is what it is. Folks did admit that they did go for the T&A, but the fact that the creators did throw some elements in in to make some ask questions is a good thing. But it doesn't mean that things are going to be wrapped up so neatly. Or make it great. They presented a wide array of characters, gave you a chance to get to know them and gave them air time all the while trying to fit a story in. It's not perfect but I think it did catch enough eyes.

There are a lot of folks pissed off about the coup. The look on Miss Charlotte's face was priceless. It said all that was need to be said. Which also means she's outclassed and disposable when it reaches that point. According to the creator he hinted at upcoming confrontation between Mirei and "the other girl" (Momoka/Francois wtf?). Which you already see that's coming because it's set up to open a very inconvenient wound in Mirei's past.

On a side note I did originally wanted to see the show, but I was turned off because of Tokonome's design. So I never really rushed. By the time I looked up it was already 4 eps in. Once I started watching I found it entertaining. I also wanted to see what other's thought but there wasn't enough analysis on the show. Most forum discussion from boards that I used to frequent were only for the fanservice element. And that wasn't even enough. I was looking for any discussion for any clues that were in plain sight that I was seeing but there was none. I usually enjoy stuff like that because it allows me to enjoy the show a little more. TVtropes was the best I could do. I'd been rewatching episodes like maybe 2-3 times and churning my wheels. If you pay close attention to camera direction they hint at what is coming next.

Example in ep. 8, when Lady Lady had to rendezvous with their source, the camera was placed on Siri. While this was an indicator that the Governeur was there it was a piece in the puzzle about artificial arms technology and cloning. What did they find in the underground but a NEW form of artificial arms guarding the facility. Mirei was the only one who knew what was going on. What happened in ep. 9 Momoka appears, and 2 others hidden the shadow who state "they are not like that outdated technology". One who wears a fingerless glove just like Mirei has. Is Momoka the same girl in the flashback twisted and enhanced or is she something different entirely? Is the gloved person a clone of Mirei? I what I speculate is true then it means that Mirei, whatever she is, is also part of that mad science the only thing is she's might be outdated as well. Because she also makes this comment to Tokonome about being "human".

I know there are still going to be holes somewhere. So I do look forward to the latest ep. But Saturday is a long way off. Only 3 eps to go then it's down to 2. I need to start watching Monster Musume to pass the time.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

How can you not believe? The show is full of bare tits and nipple slips, I can't believe anyone would bother to watch this censored, there's literally no point when one of the major aspects is nudity. Even showing a detailed enough butthole wouldn't be a huge deal since Prison School literally did just that with Hana. It's possible those two ass shots, one of Rain and one of Mirei, might show butthole in the BDs, but I also kind of doubt they'll go there.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Well there was that one scene with Rain on Lady J (like that doesn't happen all the time) riding off from the castle. Folks brought up her "Princified" a$$less chaps. There was a light that reflected off the bike's surface. Like rays from sunlight. It was the same in both versions. I had wondered if it was supposed to be like that. But only the BD versions will tell.

Personally, I wonder if they are going to go back and give Charlotte's hand back in ep. 6. It's missing in one scene. There are quite a bit of wonky scenes throughout the series in general, but it's to be expected in animated productions.

Hell, Witchblade had quite a bit. They had pretty much eliminated and redid various animation sequences, changed backgrounds and cleaned up character models before the home releases. Anyone that watched it back when it was airing, then compared it to the DVD versions will see exactly what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Finally caught up. Story's got me intrigued now, and Momoka's shaken things up by manipulating Charlotte into fighting and wiping the floor with Akira. And the scenes between Momoka and Charlotte were pretty lewd, even for this show's standards lol. Momoka's such a shit too, it wasn't enough to humiliate and expose Akira, but she had to do a post-win nipple flick as well?

Momoka's definitely the girl in Mirei's flashback (there were about two flashbacks of Mirei's past and they both look the same). I'm trying to figure out the link between the Soldiers , the Virus and the Extars/Liberators at the moment, don't know what to make of it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Chrno, fixing up shows for BDs is common for practically any studio, SHAFT being the most notable example because they're redraw scenes arbitrarily just because they felt like it. It's all part of the late-night anime process: rush rush rush to meet your weekly deadlines, and then actually fix stuff up for the real release later on.

As for Witchblade, I felt like that's the kind of show that missed the mark on what it should have been delivering. You've got a cast of buxom milfy women wearing ridiculously stupid oufits, and the most you do is give them skimpy clothes, what a waste. I guess they were constrained by being tied to an American comic, but that show should have been more like Angel Blade.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Chrno, fixing up shows for BDs is common for practically any studio, SHAFT being the most notable example because they're redraw scenes arbitrarily just because they felt like it. It's all part of the late-night anime process: rush rush rush to meet your weekly deadlines, and then actually fix stuff up for the real release later on.

As for Witchblade, I felt like that's the kind of show that missed the mark on what it should have been delivering. You've got a cast of buxom milfy women wearing ridiculously stupid oufits, and the most you do is give them skimpy clothes, what a waste. I guess they were constrained by being tied to an American comic, but that show should have been more like Angel Blade.

LOL!! Laughing Laughing Yeah, yeah. Oh Angel Blade, whoa that was an intense piece. But Bible Black might still hold the crown.

It's funny that you mention that a out WB. I was thinking about that today. Folks wanted an actual WB, Sarah Pezzini story, but they got something that ended up becoming source material for doujins (one of which the Sato brothers had a field day with it -- High School of the Dead) and then it died. It was all about the double "Ds"and other letters of the alphabet. And the only blurb in the now defunct Newtype USA was the interview by one of the directorial staff, on the "mother's love" theme. To this day I still bust out laughing. I did enjoy it in the same vein as VD. Fairly decent story, cheap thrills and the only thing you can do is laugh your a$$ off at the sheer pandering insanity. But then I somehow WB connected me back to Devilman Lady. The only thing I liked about WB was Masane's quirky, imperfect persona.

Good or bad, you always find yourself going back them. It shows that there was something that did resonate with you. In 20 years they'll be considered that guilty pleasure treasure that someone will want.

I figured as much, but I never knew that they'd go though that much trouble. When I noticed this I expected more changes. But hey we can't redo everything. That's why you'll still see some issues, but as long as the major stuff is taken care of all is good. But yeah, if you have to get a production rushed out the door you gotta get those shots done pronto. Shipped out and back in time. We can always clean up later once the home releases get underway. I've always been curious to know the process that goes on in a Japanese animation studio when it comes to getting an episode finished in time for airing. Laughing Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
Momoka, also called Francoise, and reffered by me as Lady Macbeth. Except more evil. Was actually pretty surprised it looked like Akira was winning, the story had to go one way.

Some pretty hawt lesbian action this episode too, pretty much sex. I have not seen any of QB, but I am thinking even more of some of Cross Ange.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
All I can say is that I gave up on this series after two episodes. I don't mind yuri series at all (Yurikuma Arashi for example) but this one is just a great big raunch fest. I felt like I was having to force myself to watch it so I decided that there were other good series to watch in it's place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
nice, a little crazy to mix things up. I like Momoka. this show got more interesting
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6