• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Dai Daikon Magic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:44 am Reply with quote
I liked the format as it is right now. It feels like a journal entry by BD relating her experience with each anime, as opposed to reducing each item to a numerical score, and segregating it from the other things she actually reviewed around the same time.

I do miss the Lichtensteins, though. Maybe, just maybe, you'll put up one for your title banner? That black-on-white typewriter font has to go. The rest I like. Keep up the good work.
indrik

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I think adding a numerical or star or whatever rating would be pointless. All I need is a byline, and an opinion. If I like the first one, I want to read a full review. Although I do get a kick out of the BD's minis. Which is to say, I'm more interested in why a reviewer came to a conclusion than the conclusion itself. I am often as interested in the parts as the whole, so I might suffer through a stinky plotless storyline for pretty animation, for example, and you don't get that information out of a ** rating.

It took me a long time to realize that there were categories in the shelf life... Embarassed I just read the reviews, never really looked at the pictures. I am ashamed. Embarassed Embarassed
Dorian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I like the new format.
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
I have to say that I too found myself a bit discombobulated on the new layout. However, it's not something I couldn't get used to.

As Zac's comments are very quick to defend, I do believe he overreacted a tad, and have to agree with Samurai-with-glasses. No one here is saying they hate the layout, but merely offering additional ideas.
Zac wrote:
I'd rather not people just "glance" at the column and then come into the forums to agree or disagree based on text they haven't read. I really like this new format, and I think anime criticism could seriously benefit from something that promotes actually reading the text rather than just a heap of scores and categories.

Not all readers merely "glance" at the column to see what's hot and what's not based on the old system. I read the article from start to finish, regardless of it's rating. To assume that there's a significant amount of audience that does this without any tangible proof is a sloppy accusation. Forum posts are not an accurate portrayal of this, as not all readers may be interested in actually signing up to voice their opinion.
Furthermore, there has always been intelligent, well-thought out responses on the article every time from people who clearly have read it through, as even this thread illustrates. Of course there will always be the trolls and the haters, but that's the nature of a forum-- you get the bad with the good.

The narrative style is one option, and can be quite effective-- but it's not the only one. Bamboo has said it's a work-in-progress, so I will eagerly watch it's metamorphosis take shape into its final form. Smile
animalia555

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
Regarding Flame Of Recca, one thing you have to keep in mind is that fighting manga, and the anime based on them (no matter how closely based on the manga), is that during actual tournaments the story quality seems to suffer. This is because unlike other story arcs of fighting manga, tournaments leave little romm between fights for plot advancement, or character development. The only exception to this I have ever seen is Naruto's Chunin Exam Arc (which to be fair is only partally a tournament) which manages to fit in charcter development in through the form of flashbacks during the fights. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE fighting anime/mangas, in fact most of my favorite series are fighting mangas, I just usually find I like them less during tournaments. For example, most peoples favorite part of Yuu Yuu Hakusho is the Dark Tournament Saga, but it is my least favorite saga in the eries. I perfer the Chapter Black as it has great character, and plot development, in addition the the usual stupendous action scenes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4