• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
I've never watched any Gundam before this, but I have to say that I'm really enjoying Iron-Blooded Orphans. I'm not sure where it's going, but I want to stick around for the ride. The OP is also great.

Gundam Wing was good for getting people into Gundam because you didn't really need to know anything and it didn't callback to 0079 like SEED. Maybe IBO will be the same way? Of course it'll have no nostalgia factor or rarity factor playing in its favor; people cherished Wing because it's all they had at the time unless they were older and buying tapes.
amagee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
Gundam is my favorite media franchise by far; so much so that I'm currently working on making my third Gundam panel for the next major convention season. For someone like me, Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans is a blessing.

I am always out there trying to preach Gundam series to people who have never seen one before. I've usually been stymied by either the lack of an independent timeline - one which does not require previous viewing to enjoy - or a lack of availability for these shows. This one is set in its own, convenient timeline which eschews the former issue and, for the first time, fully throws off the yoke of the latter.

In addition, in my Gundam 101 panel I argue that there are 6 major thematic choices Gundam plays with that are pretty much ubiquitous to series in the franchise. What's lovely about this series is that it already utilizes 5 of those 6 tropes. Thus, we have a series here which is both accessible and - probably - representative of Gundam in general for newcomers; luckily, it also looks to be something that will be fresh but familiar for older fans as well.

For my taste, I'm a big fan of the mecha technology in Gundam and, so far, the techno-babble and fights are pretty wonderful. The battles are nicely choreographed, melee-heavy, and wonderfully dirty (literally all the dirt flying everywhere). It really reminds me of Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team in a good way. Also, how can one not appreciate the gigantic spear/mace/day-ruining-doom weapon eating those other mobile suits alive?
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Quote:
overwrought Gundam: Reconguista in G

It's OK G-Reco, some of us still love you. Anime cry

With Iron-Blooded here, yeah, it's got stereotypical elements and less-than-clever bits (rebelling space peoples but Mars this time so totally different!!), but at this point it does feel like it could go either way. It is certainly much better than most other shows airing right now, gotta give it that much. Good on them for finally getting their Gundam show streaming act together, definitely makes it easier to stick around to find out.

This new Gundam show is just a respin of Aldnoah Zero. I've watched the first two episodes and it's mediocre at best. Nothing that hasn't been done before. Even G-Reco as badly mangled as it ended up is better than Iron Blooded at least for the few first episodes.

Me thinks Sunrise should just visit studio Xebec and learn how to do a great mecha series. If you want war, human misery and despair done right then it's Fafner all the way.
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:51 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

This new Gundam show is just a respin of Aldnoah Zero. I've watched the first two episodes and it's mediocre at best. Nothing that hasn't been done before. Even G-Reco as badly mangled as it ended up is better than Iron Blooded at least for the few first episodes.

Me thinks Sunrise should just visit studio Xebec and learn how to do a great mecha series. If you want war, human misery and despair done right then it's Fafner all the way.

Thank you. Reading these comments about originality and no mention of Aldnoah Zero. I felt like I must have been taking crazy pills. Do Gundam fans not watch other mech anime?

If you are wondering what I'm talking about, go read an Aldnoah synopsis, it's the EXACT same setup. I didn't like A/Z though so I'm hoping this series will take this story in new and better directions.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:

Thank you. Reading these comments about originality and no mention of Aldnoah Zero. I felt like I must have been taking crazy pills. Do Gundam fans not watch other mech anime?

If you are wondering what I'm talking about, go read an Aldnoah synopsis, it's the EXACT same setup. I didn't like A/Z though so I'm hoping this series will take this story in new and better directions.

Part of the problem with comparing Orphans and Aldnoah is that almost every element that the two shows share could also be found in some prior Gundam series. Both shows have Unicorn's terrorism stuff, Turn A's moonrace/marsrace stuff, etc. With "real robot" mecha shows, it's basically all variations on a theme, anyway.
DaiaX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Quote:
overwrought Gundam: Reconguista in G

It's OK G-Reco, some of us still love you. Anime cry

It's OK Gundam AGE, i still love you ..

Gundam IBO definitely interesting. WIth i'm still wondering what is Fumitan doing? She might up to something.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:48 am Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:

The only similar thing between both series is Earth-Mars conflict setting, no more than that. I gave up A/Z after episode 05 because of characters
but IBO have something different to get into.
levonr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:38 am Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:

Most big Gundam fans I know are big fans of mecha shows in general.

The only viewers who think Aldnoah.Zero is original are those that don't watch much mecha. I didn't see anything original about it.
Gundam AGE was before it and it has similar premise.

http://anitay.kinja.com/aldnoah-zero-the-ani-tay-review-1637330529
"Aldnoah.Zero is frankly not an original series. It is way too similar to the extremely underwhelming Gundam AGE for comfort. Aldnoah.Zero is at best a poor man's Gundam....well, nearly everything. It cribs a lot of stuff from the Gundam franchise. But it doesn't end at Gundam. Aldnoah.Zero takes bits and pieces from a variety of mecha series from throughout history, and ends up being a parade of mecha tropes that just make me wish I was watching a different, better show."
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:43 am Reply with quote
I was an early episodes fan* of Aldnoah.Zero because it had two interesting things going for it; a somewhat believable reason for kids piloting mecha, and an asymmetrical conflict of real robots vs super robots.

BIO has some of the former, but none of the latter.

Earth vs Mars does not a derivative make, as Earth has fought Mars often throughout science fiction history.

* I eventually lost interest when I realized none of the main characters were interesting.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
The only things shared between AZ and IBO is mars earth conflict and peace loving princess (both of which are incredibly common). Aside from that there pretty different, mars is obviously not a super technologically advanced planet populated by inexplicably racist people despite the stupidest timeline ever (side note, but IBO seems like it's a post apocalyptic world of some sort, seeing as a 300 year old mech is somehow on equal footing as a new one). And IBO probably won't be a monster of the weak show. The main character already show more emotion and seem to actually have a backstory. IBO also has yet to kill and immediately bring back a character. It remain to be seen if IBO will completely crap itself like AZ did, but I doubt it.
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
I understand we're only two episodes in and the series will likely greatly deviate from A/Z. I was just surprised no one was mentioning it right in the first few comments here. I also wasn't calling AZ original. But as said; blonde peace loving Martian aristocrat and a plot by her own people to kill her as she is on her way to earth to spread her idealism only what, a year after A/Z is pretty damn similar and fresh in viewers' minds lol. You can chalk it up to just being unfortunate that they came out so close to eachother anyway, since I'm sure the writing of this most likely predates A/Z's airing anyway.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
Call me crazy, but doesn't Gumdum Unicorn have a similar character? Seems like a common Gundam trope.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Call me crazy, but doesn't Gumdum Unicorn have a similar character? Seems like a common Gundam trope.

Mineva Zabi is not naive. She's a young princess but not blind to the affairs of the world. So no, Unicorn doesn't have a character like the IBO princess Kudelia. Aseylum is the equivalent of Kudelia. And that takes us back to Aldnoah.Zero .

Last edited by Cptn_Taylor on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
So far so good. Mari Okada really has good sense how the characters should interact in this story. It felt very good and gritty.

I'm not sure how the young mercenary /security company detachment is going to get Earth and some how accomplish their mission help Ms, Bernstein to free her corner of Mars from Earth desperate grip.

spoiler[I found interesting that there bigger plan of the occupational forces of Earth try trigger a conflict. It will be interesting speculating ahead. Smile ]
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

Mineva Zabi is not naive. She's a young princess but not blind to the affairs of the world. So no, Unicorn doesn't have a character like the IBO princess Kudelia. Aseylum is the equivalent of Kudelia. And that takes us back to Aldnoah.Zero .

But she is a politically minded aristocrat trying to broker peace before the outbreak of war.

That strikes me as fairly similar roles, even if their personalities and tactics are different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 47