• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dai_Setsudan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Honestly, aside from the mobile suite looking like a gundam and being called gundam, you could just change those two things and just have it be another series that involves big robots and you would never notice that it was a gundam series. I would probably have preferred it that way
Hmm I'm not sure about that. My only previous Gundam experience is with the first two series (0079 and Zeta) so perhaps this isn't like the more modern series. But those two shows were all about how the horrors of war take a sheltered, comfortable person and break them into a shell of what they once were.

This series is about already broken people who are trying to rebuild themselves. It begins from the point those old shows reached, and suggests a thematic continuation. So to me it feels like a fit for the Gundam franchise. Despite the darkness of the characters' backstories, it might ultimately be a more positive story than those old shows were.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
levonr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:

Honestly, aside from the mobile suite looking like a gundam and being called gundam, you could just change those two things and just have it be another series that involves big robots and you would never notice that it was a gundam series. I would probably have preferred it that way

You have no idea what your talking about. Even if you were to change the mecha to something else it wouldn't matter, everything else about it is still very traditional Gundam. I don't know what the hell your babbling about.
amagee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I liked that they showed the other Man Rodi kids dying to display the cruelty of it all but didn't dwell on it in a way that would slow things down or be exceedingly sappy about it. They go for Barbatos, Mikazuki mace/spears them, they die, and he's off to kill another mobile suit. It's devastatingly brutal and fits this series like a glove.
spyroyo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
this has been one of the best Gundam shows in a long time , the cast is great , I really care about these characters.

this was a good episode I knew one of the brothers was not going to survive , still made me cry.

also Mikazuki is lucky to have two girls be there waiting for him. Anime smile
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The same goes for THAT scene between Mikazuki and Kudelia. This is certainly an unusual moment in the Gundam universe--for the lead pilot to make the first move with a love interest. Usually pilots, as brilliant as they are in tactics, tend to be emotionally stunted otherwise.

I'm not so sure that Mikazuki isn't emotionally stunted. He may be just stunted in a somewhat different way than some previous Gundam leads. Remember that this is the same guy who cold-bloodedly shot restrained prisoners who were in no position to fight back. Plus there's some more recent implications that Mika may be getting to like killing.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Merribit tells Orga that funerals are also for the living, and while they may banter and disagree about many things (seriously, how long until they kiss?)

You should ask when she will seriously stab him in the back resulting in his death or the death of like half his comrades instead.

Quote:
The same goes for THAT scene between Mikazuki and Kudelia. This is certainly an unusual moment in the Gundam universe

Somewhat. Gundam is good at forcing unnatural romance when it's not needed. I was beginning to wonder when the cringe worthy, forced, unneeded, out of place, and downright awkward romance would be shoehorned into this show (with it's overabundance of disturbing sexual themes considering half the cast are under 14 years of age) - but I did not had to wait too long, seems the crappy romance is incorporated into this Gundam show as well.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This moment is unsettlingly creepy when you realize that McGillis is actually assuring Almiria of her sexual attractiveness.

Sigh, people are always going to automatically assume the worst when it comes to this sub-plot, aren't they? He just said she was the finest 'lady' (in English), which has less to do with physical attractiveness and more to do with behaviour and etiquette. He did seem game to follow his pal's suggestion so he's not quite A CHAR in the regard.

Now there were a few facial expressions that had me think Macky was heading into creepo territory, but in the end I think he's just sympathetic towards some one in the same situation as him. He's unhappy about having his life controlled, but he has no ill will towards her.

Quote:
Usually pilots, as brilliant as they are in tactics, tend to be emotionally stunted otherwise.

Mikazuki has proved to be far more emotionally stunted than other pilots. He has no idea about the implications of kissing some one. He was just mimicking Naze after being told you kiss some one when they seem cuter than usual.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
McGillis is up to his ears in gorgeous adult women

loved the male gaze here

Quote:
It's not that McGillis truly believes Almiria is sexy, but that he needs to placate Almiria so he can use her as a pawn in a political alliance.

or maybe he's just a lolicon and is using his political machinations as a smoke screen.

just kidding, as a side comment, coming from a third world country where teh are still tangible signs of women abuse, it's said that the worse abuse is not the one suffered by the poor (social class) women who are hit by their husband after doing the chores of the house/taking care of the kids , since they can get out of the house and get a job as servants/independent business; but the rich girls, who were pampered by their rich parents, then married a rich man, and they never held a job , never learned anything useful like cooking for themselves, also,s icne they were just passed around as pretty objects, they did not even owned anythign themselves (it was either the parent's money or the husband's money), so they luck badly and end up with an abusiv husband and their life is hell without a way out.
and that's where the little rich kid has it worse than the orphans, since they can do whatever job they are able to while she would just starve,a s it's slightly hinted by kudelia until she actually manages to find something useful to do.

Quote:
I can't help but wonder if Mikazuki will use his burgeoning adulthood to protect her, or if he'll exploit her like all the other grown-ups we've seen so far.
yeah, it's good (as a viewer) that it could go either way as mikazuki is just starting forming his personality and getting motivations, this whole thing about him enjoying battle hints towards ???.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Rather than imply Mika might like killing, I'm incredibly worried that he'll soon have an "emotional awakening", which will almost certainly have him go all emo "wahwahwah I don't wanna fight, even if all my comrade are getting slaughtered" which is gonna last like 5 episode and make me really hate the show.
Batknight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Rather than imply Mika might like killing, I'm incredibly worried that he'll soon have an "emotional awakening", which will almost certainly have him go all emo "wahwahwah I don't wanna fight, even if all my comrade are getting slaughtered" which is gonna last like 5 episode and make me really hate the show.

I highly doubt this would happened. If Mika is going to have any kind of "emotional awakening" he's going to be the one slaughtering people.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
(with it's overabundance of disturbing sexual themes considering half the cast are under 14 years of age)

Where did you get that idea? The only characters (ones with names) we know for sure are under 14 are Atra, Ride, Almiria, and Biscuit's sisters with Takaki and Yamagi being borderline. Granted this is only guess work since I can't seem to find anyone's official age anywhere.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
I'm getting a somewhat different read on all this than everyone else, but I don't know if I'm way off base or not.

I'm not convinced that Mika is enjoying killing per se, so much as he's enjoying fighting in the Barbatos, which is like an extension of himself, but ultra-powerful. He's broken enough that he's indifferent to the killing, doing it without a qualm when it's part of the job, including delivering the killing blow in battles, but it's the battles he's feeling pumped about. And I think that's new for him.

He kept saying something didn't feel quite normal, or was different. I suspect his trembling hands might not be an emotional tell, but a symptom of something going wrong neurologically as a result of the Vijnana link, and the newly upgraded Barbatos, and it may also be affecting his emotional stability. He used to get exhausted from piloting, but that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. He might be entering "I am Gundam!" territory in a somewhat literal sense. Smile
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
I don't think that Mikazuki truly understands the implications of his kissing Kudelia. He seems to be more or less copying what he saw in the meeting with Turbine. In the fleeting moment, he thought that Kudelia looked cute so he just did what Turbine said you do to women that look cute.

It shows that Mikazuki is trying to get a grasp of how emotions really work and act on them but he's not actually adept at it in any sense just yet. It's especially telling that after he kisses her and she jumps away, he doesn't get embarrassed; he merely picks up the plum she dropped and eats it.

"I went for it. It didn't go like I saw it earlier. Man she dropped that perfectly good plum that I offered her." *nom nom*
Zetabag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:37 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm getting a somewhat different read on all this than everyone else, but I don't know if I'm way off base or not.

I'm not convinced that Mika is enjoying killing per se, so much as he's enjoying fighting in the Barbatos, which is like an extension of himself, but ultra-powerful. He's broken enough that he's indifferent to the killing, doing it without a qualm when it's part of the job, including delivering the killing blow in battles, but it's the battles he's feeling pumped about. And I think that's new for him.

He kept saying something didn't feel quite normal, or was different. I suspect his trembling hands might not be an emotional tell, but a symptom of something going wrong neurologically as a result of the Vijnana link, and the newly upgraded Barbatos, and it may also be affecting his emotional stability. He used to get exhausted from piloting, but that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. He might be entering "I am Gundam!" territory in a somewhat literal sense. Smile

Hmm those are definitely some interesting ideas, though i think Mika's hand's trembling may be indication of past emotional trauma that he's kept bottled up until now. During, the funeral scene Fumitan commented to Kudelia about how children unconsciously repress negative emotions and experiences.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:28 am Reply with quote
That comment to Kudelia seems like it could be a misdirection, at least as it concerns Mika (there are plenty of other kids who are repressing their emotions for it to refer to). We've already seen Mika go after Bauduin (without orders) with killing intent on the farm, so whatever traumas he's repressing seem to have more explosive outlets to manifest than trembling hands. I guess we'll find out. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 47