• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
Mika's shaking hands made me think that his body has realized he is incredibly stressed, but he mentally cannot comprehend it.

As for the kiss.... again, instinct and what he just saw kicking in, rather than actual desire. Mika was just in a high energy, easily lethal battle. His body is cooling down from the adrenal rush (see shaking hands) of the fight or flight response. The body is kicking in the urge to mate, and Mika barely has an understanding on that urge. So he tries to address it the only way he knows how (which he just learned about). Mika never saw anything beyond a kiss, and actually has not realized there is something beyond that yet. I also feel he might have tried the same if Atra was there.

I am uncertain if Mika even knows where babies come from, actually.
Aisama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I have not felt as satisfying as I do with any other leads, as I am with how Mikazuki respond to the enjoy-killing question.

"I'm enjoying this? Well, whatever. This one deserved to die anyway."

Haaa~ (~= ▼ =)~

If this can keep up without him falling into an emo sob in future episodes, and of course, without any sappy damsel-in-distress romance, then this would be the best gundam show for me.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That comment to Kudelia seems like it could be a misdirection, at least as it concerns Mika (there are plenty of other kids who are repressing their emotions for it to refer to). We've already seen Mika go after Bauduin (without orders) with killing intent on the farm, so whatever traumas he's repressing seem to have more explosive outlets to manifest than trembling hands. I guess we'll find out. Very Happy

Well the fact she made that comment right before the kissing scene seems rather telling if you ask me, but yeah guess we'll soon find out.
Desa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
My take on Mika's trembling is that he is actually excited for the next skirmish and doesn't realize it. Combat thrill is like a drug; once you have a taste, you end up wanting more. Kinda like a sports rush, only with higher stakes.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I though it was a fine episode, certainly not the weakest of the series since most of it was new stuff and development.

Probably my biggest problem was how Biscuit just told his brother he was part of Tekadan, that was pretty out of character for someone who was shown as been careful since the beginning.
Batknight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I though it was a fine episode, certainly not the weakest of the series since most of it was new stuff and development.

Probably my biggest problem was how Biscuit just told his brother he was part of Tekadan, that was pretty out of character for someone who was shown as been careful since the beginning.

I don't see why Biscuit wouldn't have told his brother about being part of Tekkdan. I would assume out of all people if there was anyone Biscuit would be willing to place his trust in it would be in his brother who he wants to reconnect with. Also Tekkadan is now apart of Teiwaz which is seen on this colony as a perfectly legitimate business organization so it's not like them being there is suppose to be some big secret. If it was, I doubt Naze would have taken them there in the first place.
Desa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:29 am Reply with quote
lol "Space-Costco" was exactly what I thought too. If there was a food court in there too I'd totally lose it. Are there Costco-like places in Japan?
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:32 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
lol "Space-Costco" was exactly what I thought too. If there was a food court in there too I'd totally lose it. Are there Costco-like places in Japan?

There are costco stores in Japan

this is an old news video from 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwJ4PXt3GM

**skip to 41:51 to see the powerpoint of the # of stores through out various countries

there should be 15+ stores in japan (more or less by now)

at least it's assuring to see warehouse type of business still thrive in the space age Laughing

They probably have fuel station for spaceships next to the store.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
lol "Space-Costco" was exactly what I thought too.

I actually was relieved when the Space-CostCo showed up. When I first saw that Kudelia wanted to go shopping, I first thought, "Oh no, are they doing that cliche about girls loving shopping again?!" Luckily, Kudelia at least partially bucked that trope by at least having more practical concerns.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He will do anything to appease his superiors at Gjallarhorn.

Well, that's true in as far as he thinks if Gjallarhorn gets Kudellia (or at least they think they have Kudellia), they'll leave the workers on Dort 2 alone. So Savarin was trying to protect the people in the slums even if he had to sacrifice one girl to do so.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Why is McGillis wearing a mask anyway? The only reason I can come up with is "because this is a Gundam series.")

Because he's not suppose to be there?

If he's spotted at the colony it might raise some suspicions among Gjallarhorn and even more so if he's spotted talking with Kudelia whom he wants as an ally (well pawn is more like it).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Not just a mask, but that out of control silver wig! I think his comment at the start of the episode was about being excited over getting to cosplay rather than giving the gears of his Machiavellian machine a good crank. Very Happy

Quote:
Fumitan's betrayal is far more shocking and hurtful. We've known Fumitan since the series began...

And we've known almost as long that she was some sort of mole, so it was hardly shocking. I also can't fault Biscuit for trusting his brother. What reason did he have to ever imagine he'd betray him so violently, other than being in a Gundam series? Who would think that of a brother who was a role model and took care of them? That was the shocking betrayal here, and even then it wasn't because he'd become Evil over the years, just desperate to help the workers.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why is McGillis wearing a mask anyway? The only reason I can come up with is "because this is a Gundam series."

Or maybe because he's this show's Char character. It's been so obvious since we first met him and Gaelio that they're this universe's Char Aznable and Garma Zabi, I've no idea how the reviewer failed to notice this and thought that Naze, of all people, was the "Char" character of the series.

And yes, we've also known for quite a long while that Fumitan was hiding something. Her betrayal itself wasn't a shock at all...
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
He will do anything to appease his superiors at Gjallarhorn.

Well, that's true in as far as he thinks if Gjallarhorn gets Kudellia (or at least they think they have Kudellia), they'll leave the workers on Dort 2 alone. So Savarin was trying to protect the people in the slums even if he had to sacrifice one girl to do so.

Yeah, I agree with this, Savarin didn't want the workers and the rest in the slums to get slaughtered. It's more complicated than just wanting to appease his superiors.
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
That face that Mika made when Atra has told him that they did this to her was incredibly scary. I really wish I could have seen Mika going nuts on some people though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 47