• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Concrete Revolutio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maoyen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
If anyone's still confused, here's the timeline of events up to now:

http://anitay.kinja.com/making-sense-of-the-concrete-revolutio-timeline-so-far-1738566900

I really hate how they're not translating the magazines and newspapers, it seems like we're missing some really useful information. That article about "Earth-Chan", for instance.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Shinraisei wrote:
I don't think it's a spoiler (it's hinted heavily in the ED and OP and mentioned on his profile), but Jaguar--the sort of handsome tall one--can stop time, but only momentarily and probably at a cost.

He uses this power in battle in episode 3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
The thing I'm most curious about I think was Maria turning into a bug monster after kissing Jiro's foster father. 1) who's Maria? 2) why did she turn into a monster? 3) why was she there ahead of the Professor?

The thing I'm second most curious about was 1) why Emi brought little naked Jiro out onto the bridge, 2) why were those pictures there? and 3) where had the Professor been keeping him for Emi to bring him out from? I don't think he was naked because the blast ripped all his clothes off. I think he was in that state before she brought him out to the bridge. Could be wrong about that though.
maoyen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The thing I'm most curious about I think was Maria turning into a bug monster after kissing Jiro's foster father. 1) who's Maria? 2) why did she turn into a monster? 3) why was she there ahead of the Professor?

The thing I'm second most curious about was 1) why Emi brought little naked Jiro out onto the bridge, 2) why were those pictures there? and 3) where had the Professor been keeping him for Emi to bring him out from? I don't think he was naked because the blast ripped all his clothes off. I think he was in that state before she brought him out to the bridge. Could be wrong about that though.

I'm pretty sure Jirou was naked because he was the monster. What I wanna know is why he was invisible. As for the pictures, I think that was just a coincidence.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:21 am Reply with quote
maoyen wrote:
What I wanna know is why he was invisible.

I thought it was just the dimensional rift thing where kaiju don't show up to regular people.
ProlificSky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
First off, I love this show (it's probably my favorite this season) and I thank Rose for the insightful episode reviews. However, I do have some questions regarding the timeline. In Rose's episode 3 review, she makes the connection between the show's Shinka era and the real-life Showa era, which she carries over to the latest episode 4 review. What I'm confused about is the fact that she marks certain events with very specific real world dates as opposed to using the Shinka era format. Is the speculation made from the previous episode concrete enough to correlate all future events in the show to real world dates? It could get especially confusing for someone who didn't read episode 3's review. Actually, I myself am still uncertain as to how the dates line up between ours and the show's.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
so this is important even for our luminescent alien council living far away from both nations in Japan.

You mean... pretty much between the two nations? There's a reason (well, many reasons, but there's this one in particular) why the US occupied Japan after WWII, before the Soviets could've done so.

Quote:
The biggest takeaway from all this is that Concrete Revolutio has figured out how to put an episode together.

I disagree on this. It knew how to put an episode together before; I never found the previous episodes confusing or difficult to follow at all. You just have to pay attention. This is not a show to watch while you're making dinner or chatting with friends. It's just that after the previous 3 episodes now we have enough information on the world and the characters (and enough experience with the storytelling) that this big reveal episode can in fact pack the punch it's supposed to.

As for "kaiju" as "beast" I think it's pretty OK a translation. Certainly better than "ghost" for "obake". (What was the translator even thinking? Even "shapeshifter" would have been better.)
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
You mean... pretty much between the two nations? There's a reason (well, many reasons, but there's this one in particular) why the US occupied Japan after WWII, before the Soviets could've done so.

a) Reducing their attitudes to "because location" is really simplistic for something like the Cold War. Sure, physical proximity did heighten some issues like the Cuban Missile Crisis, where the worry was that missiles could be fired at population centers, but the Cold War was a global conflict. Along with Korea and Vietnam, the U.S. and the USSR fought proxy wars all over the world, from Latin America to mainland Europe to Africa to the Middle East. Even if they only provided money instead of troops, they had hands in every pot. Countries all over the world were concerned about it and whether they should be pro-US, pro-Soviet or unaligned. Additionally, as the links in my ep. 3 review show, Japan stayed relatively out of it and wasn't as anti-Soviet as you'd expect.

b) The U.S. did share occupations of other Axis countries with the Soviet Union (along with the UK and France), and the Japanese occupation started before the Soviets' involvement in the others became a problem. So there's no causation there. And the other Allies did actually grant the Soviets some control over Japan's occupied territories, including giving them Sakhalin and the Kiril Islands, and of course, limited occupation of North Korea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
Actually, the Far Eastern part of the Soviet Union was just north to Japan. As for the USA, Alaska was somewhat close.

But that's just a small detail. A great review, and I am loving this show. Having in consideration the Kaiju/Nuclear paralelism, has anyone noticed Fukushima was mentioned?
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
SHD wrote:

a) Reducing their attitudes to "because location" is really simplistic for something like the Cold War.

And that's why I didn't do that. I was merely pointing out that geographically and geopolitically Japan is very much not "far away" from either Russia/formerly the SU or the US. As Hellsoldier above also pointed out, Japan is in fact neighbors with Russia from the north via Sakhalin (they even had territory disputes over it!) and other Far Eastern territories. Japan is also pretty much neighbors with the US on the Pacific, and Alaska is physically not particularly far away either.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:08 am Reply with quote
ProlificSky wrote:
Is the speculation made from the previous episode concrete enough to correlate all future events in the show to real world dates?

If showa and shinka don't line up exactly they're only out by a couple of years. That much is clear. They might be out, but good writing would only make them different if there were some good narrative reason, and I haven't seen any sign of that.

Here's an example of the sort of setting work that's being done here:
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/kiza3/e/eca2f14a29891f4bcbfa39ef4e1a7386
Toden 6000-type tramcar no6106, the one in the opening of ep1.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
@SHD: Okay. Well, that wasn't my original wording. I'll ask if it can be changed.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
There's no point in changing the line. The review's up and several days cold by now, and Japan's geographical or sociological distance or lack thereof from the USSR or America is subjective. It's one line. This is not a big deal.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Honestly given the fact that Seiji Mizushima said Concrete Revolutio is partially inspired by Watchmen I wonder if the time-jump structure is based on that. Jumping back and forth in the timeline was one of ways Watchmen was structured narratively.

Difference I guess is that most of the timejumps in Watchmen were character-specific. So we were following one character's POV/narration throughout the time-periods and generally focused on one character per issue. ConRevo's jumps doesn't give us that grounding and are needed for us to figure out the plot of that episode. Plus Watchmen didn't do flashforwards, and the flashbacks generally went in chronological order. Also Watchmen was designed to do things comics can do that film mediums have harder times doing, in a comic you can go back and reread things and move at your own pace, unlike an anime series. So you can jump several time periods without readers getting lost.

Just wanted to throw that out there. ConRevo is interesting because it's trying to do something ambitious and not quite getting there.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
Honestly given the fact that Seiji Mizushima said Concrete Revolutio is partially inspired by Watchmen I wonder if the time-jump structure is based on that. Jumping back and forth in the timeline was one of ways Watchmen was structured narratively.

Do you have a source on Mizushima saying that? Not saying you're wrong, but I'm interested in reading that myself. Very Happy

Also, while non-linear narrative is obviously easier in books for the reasons you mentioned, it's not like people have never done it well in film, or even in anime series (though they tend to do it episode-to-episode, not all in one episode like CR does). There are quite a few classic films that are known for their non-linear narratives. I listed a couple in my review for episode 3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10