• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Concrete Revolutio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
Hello Animus!

AnimusPrime wrote:
This episode made it pretty clear: the whole show is a tribute to the late-60s, to self-expression, and to political dissent.

Yep. That is why I am leaning towards an attempt to get us to side with Jiro rather than leaving it ambiguous. But I also think there is a reason they being ambiguous so much, I just have not found out what it is. It may just be that I am an American who didn't live through it and so maybe there was more ambiguity than we tend to see looking backwards. Which in itself could explain Kikko's flip flopping. Especially since I get the feeling that the major characters are actually based on real people.
AnimusPrime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
'zup, Mifune?

Quote:
I am leaning towards an attempt to get us to side with Jiro rather than leaving it ambiguous. But I also think there is a reason they being ambiguous so much... Especially since I get the feeling that the major characters are actually based on real people.

Jiro is turning into a very complicated character. We don't even know what his goal is in year 46 and beyond, he keeps talking about justice as a concept but we haven't really seen him act on it. It seems the "truth" of things has been hidden from him as much as it has been hidden from the audience. But Jiro seems like a good guy, an idealist at his core. He just ends up straying from his ideals when he's forced to follow orders.

Now, whether or not he and the others in the various organizations are based on real people... remains to be seen. But I do remember reading, in the Concrete Revoluto First Impression on ANN, Zac Bertschy wrote:
Quote:
I interviewed Shou Aikawa along with Hope Chapman at Anime Expo this year,... and he told us this show was supposed to kinda-sorta be a commentary on terrorism...

And... sho'nuff, ConRevo definitely appears to be headed in that direction! Terrorism went way up in the early '70s. All sorts of groups formed and tried to wreck shit. In Japan, the unpopular laws were passed and the protests stopped, but the protesters went their separate ways. Some went back to their comfortable lives, while others joined extremist factions and committed terrorist acts. In some cases, the extremist factions fought each other or self-destructed.
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:01 am Reply with quote
AnimusPrime wrote:
'zup, Mifune?

Kinda dreading then end of this cour, next one seems pretty slim. What are your thoughts?

AnimusPrime wrote:
But Jiro seems like a good guy, an idealist at his core.

And that does fit the type to be revolutionaries and/or terrorists. And it could very well be a commentary on radicalization. Though if that is the case it will definitely wait until the second cour to really show it. I truthfully would love that kind of commentary since I have a political science international affairs degree. (sadly i know almost nothing of Japanese politics, my emphasis was Central America.)

So if it does get down and dirty with the commentary on terrorism, it looks as if it will be better that either Gunslinger Girl or Terror in Resonance were able to do. Resonance was more of attention seeking and GG was somewhat more about the cycle of violence, though the Manga went a bit deeper after where the anime dropped off.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
I think this is my favourite show of the year, while not my most enjoyable show. I think it is better than; One Punch Man, Mr Osomatsu, Blood Blockade Battlefront and Ushio to Tora. All shows I think where good.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This part made very little sense. It was established episodes ago that most superhumans don't look too fondly on the Bureau—and Claude's revelation gave them one big reason to distrust them even more. Jiro and his friends have helped some individuals along the way, but not always in the long term, and we even see the people who got the short end of the stick lining up to save Jiro here. This ending team-up sure looks inspiring and fun, but it isn't earned by the narrative either emotionally or purely from a plot perspective. So much of this episode feels like it threw out its momentum from the last episode to settle for a more traditional comic-book ending.

To be fair, there wasn't muchof an alternative. It was battle between those they had little reason to trust and those they had no reason to trust.[/u]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm completely lost now. I'll probably keep reading the reviews to see if things become any clearer down the line, but unless I don't have much else to watch, I probably won't be finishing this.

It's funny that in the beginning, when all the reviewers seemed to be lost by the time leaps, I didn't have any trouble following it at all. But once that apparently got sorted out for others, I was nothing but confused. Smile It's probably too-many-characters syndrome in my case. I need handy diagrams and bios and I just don't care enough to make them for this.
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Th series certainly hasn't been easy to follow for me especially with my practically nonexistent knowledge on Japanese history. Didn't have the time to keep up with the reviews for the past few seasons (transition to college has been rough) so i;m hoping it will make things easier to understand. The first two episodes of this season have been amazing though especially episode two i had to give it five stars. It wasn't just easier to follow but i could appreciate that they decided to use the singer's story as a plot device. Attempting to flesh it now for me, would just messed with the flow of the episode especially since a series like this tries to wrap up individual cases so soon.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Rose wrote:
(It's a result of taking parts from Washizu, a cowboy-like robot spaceman from a race called S Planetarians.)

The S Planetarians are a race of notorious space criminals, one of whom serves as Grosse Augen's new body.

Washizu's an android from a different, unidentified race.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
UGH, it's a real bummer this show actually pulled the spoiler[dead lesbians thing] in Episode 15 especially with spoiler[Aki's and Fanny's relationship] coming out of nowhere. Count me in too in wanting a lot more out of Emi and Kikko beyond being catty, doe-eyed love interests towards Jiro (especially Kikko). I'm still waiting for Emi's ulterior motives to finally come into play as well.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
UGH, it's a real bummer this show actually pulled the spoiler[dead lesbians thing] in Episode 15 especially with spoiler[Aki's and Fanny's relationship] coming out of nowhere. Count me in too in wanting a lot more out of Emi and Kikko beyond being catty, doe-eyed love interests towards Jiro (especially Kikko). I'm still waiting for Emi's ulterior motives to finally come into play as well.

IT'S THE FREAKING 60'S/70'S!!! What did you expect?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Ohh, I get that. It still feels awful seeing that scene played out.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Ohh, I get that. It still feels awful seeing that scene played out.

Oh, I guess I get that, since that trope has been all too common. In Japan's case, the trope started precisely around this period. In fact, in lesbian-themed fiction of the country, the ''lesbian'' characters either ''moved on'' into marrying (a male) or died, since society was not going to embrace them. Many authors prefered the latter one, not believing in the former.

But yeah, it would be nice to spoiler[see happy, or at least surviving lesbian couples] more often. But being the 60's/70's, and having a scandal attached to it (could be seen as simultaneously a critique of homophobia as well as commentary on the idol/music industry) it makes a lot of sense, unfortunately.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:06 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it only happened to me but in Episode 15, at the beginning and in Aki & Jiro briefly fighting scenes, there was no subs.I understand Funimation has very tight schedule but no seems to be even bothered. Are you guys fluent in Japanese by any chance.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
@Admiral_Pizzaman I am, more or less, but I'm outside of Funi's zone of coverage anyway Smile Just checked the subs on Daisuki and there were no such problems. I think the episode on that site will be available in North America with a one week delay.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
I don't know if it only happened to me but in Episode 15, at the beginning and in Aki & Jiro briefly fighting scenes, there was no subs.I understand Funimation has very tight schedule but no seems to be even bothered. Are you guys fluent in Japanese by any chance.

Did you watch it right after it came out? I had this issue when I did, but then refreshed it a few hours later for the review and it was fine. It seems to be working fine for me now, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10