• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mr. Osomatsu

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:03 am Reply with quote
I actually Googled the statue guy's name, and nothing relevant came up. The robotic dolls from the factory were modeled after Dayon, a supporting character who hasn't done much yet.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
This series cracks me up! Just put in pre-orders for all the BDs this morning.

I'm getting a hang of telling the brothers apart before they start speaking. Juushimatsu for example always has a his mouth wide open like a little kid, and Todomatsu has that innocent look.

Oh, and here's a picture someone drew and put up on Twitter before the series premier to help people tell the difference between the brothers.

*image*

Oh my god. These guys have no right to be as abso-freakin'-lutely adorable as they are.

I told my friend about this show and he thought it was amazingly funny. He was watching it on his phone and I heard the VA; I'm not too knowledgeable about seiyuu but the voice cast sounds amazing. I really need to watch this show. I didn't even know it existed till I saw it in the preview guide >_>
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I have never watched the original series, but that didn't stop me from getting to check out the first episode.

The Showa-era gags from the past series that were reenacted in the said episode flew over my head. But the attempts at trying to make the show feel relevant by going as far as making parodies of notable contemporary anime titles brought me in the laughs.

The second episode didn't have to rely on a chunk of popular culture references to make it funny. I was amused at the end of the first half (where the brothers switch places in a ramen shop every few hours disguising as a single Matsuno) and most of the second half.

It'll take a long while for me to tell the brothers apart, though I do like the voice cast.

The stop-motion-like ED is not too shabby in itself.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was quite entertaining; with lots of irreverence and zest. But if the second episode is indicative of the show moving forward then I likely will drop it. I'm not a seiyuu fan so I can't say I care about the big name voice talent they've got on board.

XerneasYveltal wrote:
The second episode didn't have to rely on a chunk of popular culture references to make it funny.

The first half of the second episode is a lot more enjoyable if you've already seen Kaiji (which they are parodying).
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Just replace Choromatsu with Shinpachi, and the "Osomatsu Quiz" segment would make a great Gintama bit. The pixelated pee-pees were particularly Gintama-ish.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

^There also was a bit of Gintama flavor in the golden turd bit this week, and Totoko's debut was awfully reminiscent of Otsu as well.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 4

^There also was a bit of Gintama flavor in the golden turd bit this week, and Totoko's debut was awfully reminiscent of Otsu as well.

Gintama definitely seems to have set the standard for sophomoric humor in anime. I didn't even think to make the Otsu comparison, but it's very apt.

The dependent interview is probably my favorite bit from the show thus far. Ichimatsu daring his mother to see what would happen if he were left to his own devices was hilarious. That stare practically said, "Your move, Ma."
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
This show is so far outside my usual comfort zone of anime, but I'm loving every second of it. I can finally tell the brothers apart before they start speaking now, but listening to them is, for obvious reasons, a huge reason for why I'm enjoying this so much.

I agree that the 2-part structure seems to serve the show best, as the jokes get even funnier with a longer build-up.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5

Wahhhh!!! This week's episode was really good. Who'd think that this series could make you cry! T__T Ichimatsu~!!!!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
I honestly can't decide which half of episode 5 I enjoyed more. As much as I love dark humor, I'm equally fond of out-of-place schmaltz. Part of me thinks ESP Kitty shouldn't have started wearing glasses until after his transformation took place.

Last edited by JaggedAuthor on Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I honestly can't decide which half of episode 5 I enjoyed more. As much as I love dark humor, I'm equally fond of out-of-place schmaltz. Part of me thinks ESP Kitty shouldn't have started wearing glasses until after his transformation.

ESP is actually a recurring character in the Osomatsu world, and he's always worn glasses. it's nice that even the cat characters in this show hark back to the manga and earlier anime.

This episode was so good; I love that they were able to balance the more serious story with comedy. That said, I probably felt more emotional over the first half than I did the second. I feel so bad for Karamatsu, and Chibita's realisation at how awful the brothers are broke my heart a little.
Aoi_Nagase

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5: I feel sorry for Karamatsu.

I can relate Karamatsu's feeling where you're so unwanted that nobody cares about you even when you're kidnapped, like that "unwanted student" in school. In fact, wasn't he being ignored so many times in the previous episodes?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
The second segment made me teary-eyed. Who'd thunk it from a series like Osomatsu san?

Anyway, when Juushimatsu is handing the cat to Ichimatsu, there's a shot of Juushimatsu opening his mouth but not saying anything. Then the cat says, "I'm sorry." There's speculation that since the cat knows how people really feel, that was actually Juushimatsu saying sorry to Ichimatsu. He only had good intentions for Ichimatsu but ended up upsetting him.

Just, OMG Juushiimatsu!!! He's so precious!! I love his moe sode (baggy sleeves?). Adorable!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Still unclear on why they gave Obama a mustache. In light of the Anpanman fiasco, are they taking measures to change the appearance of any figures they lampoon? The Hollande caricature was actually pretty accurate despite the change in hair color.

Also, is is just me or did Dayon have more lines this week than he had in the previous five episodes combined?
Aoi_Nagase

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Am I being weird if I say Hatabou is really adorable here? I may say partly it's because he's voiced by Momoko Saito, but his attitude is just that adorable to me.

On another note, Karamatsu is still being ignored here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15