• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mr. Osomatsu

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they worked in another serious story before the finale, but at the moment, my money's on the last episode being something akin to the series premiere or the battle-race episode. However, given how consistently unpredictable this series has been, I'm probably way off-base.
I don't recall this ever having a "serious" story, are you thinking more of having a full length episode, as opposed to splitting it into sections, like they did with Iyami's Counterttack.

True, there haven't been any outright serious stories. I think we both meant "serious by Osomatsu standards" - stuff like ESP Kitty and Jyushimatsu Falls in Love. I'm assuming the final episode will be a full half-hour story bereft of any schmaltzy elements (like Iyami's Counterattack), but I wouldn't be surprised to see the show take one last crack at melodrama before the finale.

Losing Osomatsu-san and Gintama in the same week is going to suck. Let's hope they both come back in a timely manner.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, when I talk about "serious" or "dramatic" Osomatsu episodes, I'm talking about those ones. While none of the episodes are ever completely serious--part of the series' strength is that it does not eliminate humor--those two stand out. (The Chibita's flower episode probably counts, too, but I personally didn't feel emotionally connected to it.)

It's going to feel weird when this season is over, especially since I don't watch many comedies. Spring is looking to be *packed* with shows I'll at least give a try, so perhaps it's for the best that I'll have some more time. Nanbaka is supposed to air this year and is being directed by Gintama's Shinji Takamatsu, though. Maybe that will wind up being a temporary replacement.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote
Great episode! (Then again, any episode that features Todomatsu's trademark angry face is a winner in my book.) Since Dayon is clearly capable of speaking normally, are we to assume that the guy just *really* loves his name?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
Do they have plans for more episodes later on? Without this all i have for comedy is Gintama.
maloose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
It was a funny episode, I really enjoy the episodes that delve in the brothers relationship. Putting the whole strangeness of the Dayon stuff in the 2nd part aside, again the brothers relationship there was wonderful. Personally I think it's the best part about this show, these six eccentric brothers and their peculiar behavior to each other. Every episode shines a new light to this family.

Something specific about this episode was the cameo of Elizabeth and Justaway from Gintama! Awesome! Laughing
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I love it when they show Jyushimatsu's scary side. The others can be evil as well, but their evilness is way more predictable. It's fascinating how Jyushimatsu seems to be able to effortlessly switch between psycho killer and hustle hustle! muscle muscle! mode. Laughing

I'm gonna miss this show when it's gone... Sad
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote
I love how none noticed that all 6 died ...or even cared. +1 for realism

The producer mentioned that they never said that one season would be it so, We'll meet again, Don't know where, don't know when, But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day.
Hm. A grizzly war episode could really work on this show!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
There's no doubt in my mind that there will be a second season somewhere down the road.

Man, what an episode! Totoko is hands down one of the most selfish characters in the series. ^^;;;

The second episode was quite touching. Poor, Osomatsu. His attitude is very understandable. I like how they continued to show all the boys' traits throughout, such as Todomatsu scared to go to the bathroom by himself. Moments such as that actually had me wibbling. Though they may argue a lot, these brothers are very tight-knit. It'll be interesting to see if the series goes for an emotional finale next week.

One thing's for sure: My late Monday nights are going to be a little lonely after this ends.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
This episode was great, both for its jokes in Totoko's half and the somber tone in the second. The writers decided to forego nearly all jokes in the latter, so it felt very heavy and tense. We've seen these brothers fight before, but there's an added weight to Osomatsu lashing out at Jyushimatsu and Karamatsu punching Oso.

I'm happy that the writers are following up on something episode 2 established. Osomatsu is defined by being the eldest and his character revolves around his brothers. The other five have their own hobbies/peculiarities, while Osomatsu followed a fairly linear track from his childhood. He says he wants to be an only child, but in practice he mopes if he's left alone. With his brothers striking out on their own, he doesn't seem to have much left.

I wonder if they'll keep this tone for the finale? Maybe they'll make it more fun or zany. All I know is that I need some closure; I just want them all to be happy, even if they are horrible people!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
I was the last child in my household to live independently, so I can definitely relate to the second segment. Unlike Osomatsu, I'm not the oldest, but watching a lively home become progressively emptier is incredibly depressing. Staying the same as everything around you changes is a great theme for this series to explore.

Loved the first segment. Totoko has largely sat on the sidelines throughout the second cour, and it was nice to see her take center stage one last time. I have a feeling Hatabo's presence at the factory will play a role in the finale. As Amy suggested, corporate espionage may be afoot. (Or we'll find out next week that he lost all his money off-screen.) I'm sure the status quo will be restored by the end of the next episode, but I'm very interested to see how the show will get us there.
Dragonsandphoenix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I was not ready for this episode. I was hoping for maybe a few laughs. I genuinely do not know where this is going to go. Next week is the last episode and while I'm not 100% sure that this will be the last we'll see of the Matsuno brothers I also don't want them to fully restore the status quo. Hopefully the ending will be satisfying.

I admit that when Karamatsu punched Oso I gasped in shock. Damn. Seriously is the last episode going to be this melancholic?!
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I've seen enough Gintama to know where this is going... Don't be fooled people, there is no way they won't get back at being NEET's, and they're going to do it in the most outrageous way possible!

Still, this doesn't mean they will abandon their character development. It's just too early for them to abandon their lifestyle, but this was definitely a step forward. Though I'd like to see at least Choromatsu keep his job, because he's wanted it so badly throughout the series.

Karamatsu is love! Laughing
tsvkkis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:
I've seen enough Gintama to know where this is going...

Well right now Gintama is admist some heavy themes in the ongoing arc but I too miss the comedy of Gintama and hopefully the Matsunos can return to their happy days.
tsvkkis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Also, did anyone notice during the part where Ichimatsu was eating snacks with Osomatsu, he only ate a sixth of the snacks and left the rest for his brothers? And the way he fed cats but starved himself made me so sad.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
tsvkkis wrote:
Also, did anyone notice during the part where Ichimatsu was eating snacks with Osomatsu, he only ate a sixth of the snacks and left the rest for his brothers?

Yes. ;___;

It's ironic that Karamatsu would punch Osomatsu because he's always talking about how he doesn't want to hurt anyone, and up until now he's only been "hurting" them. Now he has physically hurt Osomatsu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15