• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Artful Ways

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
Kyoshinhei wrote:
Actually, I thought what was reproached to Zestiria was not so much that Alisha was removed early in the game but rather that the story arc of the character presented as the main girl in the CMs was in a (almost day-1) pay DLC. It felt like Namco was pushing an imcomplete game and asking for more money to get the whole thing. That DLC then went for free in response to criticism.

Yeah, that was the big thing. In the previous Tales games, the first male and female characters to have been introduced have been the "main" duo, and play major roles in the story.

Alisha was the first heroine introduced, and introduced in such a way that it seemed like she was going to be a major player in the story. Then the game came out, and not only was she barely in the game (in playable form, at least, I don't know since I haven't played it yet), but to get her story, you had to pay to get it.

The controversy had nothing to do with "waifu", it had to do with what people perceived as false advertising: they felt she was being presented as the main heroine, and she was barely in the game at all, instead they had to pay to play as her.

It really can't be compared to Symphonia or Vesperia, because Kratos and Flynn weren't advertised in such a way that implied that they were going to be around for the long haul (I haven't played Graces f, so I can't speak to that one). Symphonia's early advertisement featured Lloyd and Colette, Vesperia's featured Yuri and Estelle.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:19 am Reply with quote
I still want Alys back in Phantasy Star 4.
se37

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:32 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Kyoshinhei wrote:
Actually, I thought what was reproached to Zestiria was not so much that Alisha was removed early in the game but rather that the story arc of the character presented as the main girl in the CMs was in a (almost day-1) pay DLC. It felt like Namco was pushing an imcomplete game and asking for more money to get the whole thing. That DLC then went for free in response to criticism.

Yeah, that was the big thing. In the previous Tales games, the first male and female characters to have been introduced have been the "main" duo, and play major roles in the story.

Alisha was the first heroine introduced, and introduced in such a way that it seemed like she was going to be a major player in the story. Then the game came out, and not only was she barely in the game (in playable form, at least, I don't know since I haven't played it yet), but to get her story, you had to pay to get it.

The controversy had nothing to do with "waifu", it had to do with what people perceived as false advertising: they felt she was being presented as the main heroine, and she was barely in the game at all, instead they had to pay to play as her.

It really can't be compared to Symphonia or Vesperia, because Kratos and Flynn weren't advertised in such a way that implied that they were going to be around for the long haul (I haven't played Graces f, so I can't speak to that one). Symphonia's early advertisement featured Lloyd and Colette, Vesperia's featured Yuri and Estelle.

Marketing Screwed up because they rushed out the characters before the story was finalized. They showed the characters before the story was even half completed.

However, giving one star reviews on Amazon because she isn't in the game. Mikako Komatsu, the voice of Rose (who replaces Alisha, she takes Alisha's DLC outfits), apologize with a dogeza to the fans during Tales Fes, Japanese Otaku's giving terrorist threats on the festival, giving Mikako Komatsu threats so bad that she had to go into hiding along with the character designer getting death threats. Baba even went on Famitsu saying that the character designs they gave marketing was that she was not the heroine of the game and a side character that plays a major role.

Plus, the DLC story is rushed, the DLC puts down Rose for the majority of the story and it is very easy to tell they made the DLC after the fact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2