• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: K: Return of Kings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eira

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 12: I loved how easily Munakata played Yata at the beginning of the episode. It was partly an act from the blue king's side since he was planning to send Douhan to rescue Fushimi anyway, but he understands Fushimi well and obviously knew how important it'd be that Yata was the one to come after him. Maybe this was a small gesture of gratitude from Munakata, since he must have felt truly bad for sending a clansman out on such a dangerous mission. You could tell from the way his hands were shaking during his and Fushimi's dialogue in that episode.

I would have been much more surprised if Fushimi's intention actually had been to leave the blue clan, but that's mostly because of what's been happening in the manga and the novels. That's one of the anime's biggest weaknesses if you watch it as a stand-alone work really - a lot of the characters' backgrounds and motivations are shown elsewhere, so you miss it if you only stick to the show. That's also what I like about multimedia projects though - you can always dig deeper into the materials, and as a reward you get to find out gradually how everything is interlaced and stitched together.

Anyway, it was satisfactory to see Sukuna defeated, though I hope the kid didn't die. Seeing Yata and Fushimi working together again was great too. Their scenes were handled well, with Yata saying exactly what Fushimi needed to hear and the two of them finally being able to speak honestly to each other. There were a few nice little references to their backstory in the Lost Small World novel too. Obviously they still have a long way to go before everything is sorted out between them but this was a good start. Both of them really did mature a lot.

Now, back to worrying about the kings and mostly Munakata.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
Eira wrote:
oEpisode 12: I loved how easily Munakata played Yata at the beginning of the episode. It was partly an act from the blue king's side since he was planning to send Douhan to rescue Fushimi anyway, but he understands Fushimi well and obviously knew how important it'd be that Yata was the one to come after him. Maybe this was a small gesture of gratitude from Munakata, since he must have felt truly bad for sending a clansman out on such a dangerous mission. You could tell from the way his hands were shaking during his and Fushimi's dialogue in that episode.

I would have been much more surprised if Fushimi's intention actually had been to leave the blue clan, but that's mostly because of what's been happening in the manga and the novels. That's one of the anime's biggest weaknesses if you watch it as a stand-alone work really - a lot of the characters' backgrounds and motivations are shown elsewhere, so you miss it if you only stick t the show. That's also what I like about multimedia projects though - you can always dig deeper into the materials, and as a reward you get to find out gradually how everything is interlaced and stitched together.

Anyway, it was satisfactory to see Sukuna defeated, though I hope the kid didn't die. Seeing Yata and Fushimi working together again was great too. Their scenes were handled well, with Yata saying exactly what Fushimi needed to hear and the two of them finally being able to speak honestly to each other. There were a few nice little references to their backstory in the Lost Small World novel too. Obviously they still have a long way to go before everything is sorted out between them but this was a good start. Both of them really did mature a lot.

Now, back to worrying about the kings and mostly Munakata.

Couldn't have said it better myself, though I haven't managed to keep up with the other multimedia tie-ins. I do wish to get to it someday Smile
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:08 am Reply with quote
Well kids, that's all she wrote. The second season was such a disappointment, and so was the ending.

Project K, you started off as an incredible science-fiction mystery story, and then you completely changed the genre and became a really poor and generic shonen fighting series. I'm disappointed in you.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:12 am Reply with quote
I don't mind "style over substance" once in a while if it's done well and few anime did it better than K, though at the beginning of this season it didn't feel like they were really trying all that hard...

But these last couple of episodes managed to somehow rekindle my enthusiasm for this show and the conclusion was fairly satisfying. I agree that a bit of a more detailed epilogue would have been nice, but it was good to see everyone (more or less...) alive and well (especially Munakata, though that punch was definitely well-deserved. Laughing).
Eira

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:23 am Reply with quote
Well, in the end this season was a bit weaker than the first, mostly because of the pacing issues, but I think it was a satisfactory finale overall. I was relieved to see almost everyone getting a happy ending, especially since season one ended on such a depressing note. If anything, I'd say that the theme of K is that bonds are more important than powers, and I think that came across nicely in the last episode, mostly thanks to the Nagare/Neko exchange.

Anyway, there are still some ongoing K manga and according to the writers there might be more LNs and other side material coming up in the future. I doubt that we're getting any more animated material though, so in that way I guess we can say the show's over now.
Vennex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
Wasted potential is how I think of this season oveall. The ending, while not terrible compared to the rest of the season, wasnt satisfying enough for me to think the show salvaged at all. I suppose I'll still read the side mangas to see if they're any better.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, do be clear that the B+ rating is only for the final episode. If I was rating the season as a whole, I'd probably only give it a C+.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I apologize in advance if this question has been asked ad nauseam on this board, but does the original series have to be fresh in my mind for me to make sense of this one? It's been a few years since I've seen it, and I've forgotten many of the pertinent details. I was thinking about marathoning Return of Kings over the New Year's break, but I don't want to be totally lost. (A friend claimed the movie, which I also haven't seen, would bring me up to speed.)
Vennex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I apologize in advance if this question has been asked ad nauseam on this board, but does the original series have to be fresh in my mind for me to make sense of this one? It's been a few years since I've seen it, and I've forgotten many of the pertinent details. I was thinking about marathoning Return of Kings over the New Year's break, but I don't want to be totally lost. (A friend claimed the movie, which I also haven't seen, would bring me up to speed.)

As long as you watch the movie you should be fine.
secondkas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

I think it's ok if you don't take a refresher of the first if you remember most of the events (particularly what happened to the kings) since the second one would bring up some of them in the earlier episodes. However, I suggest you watch the movie because it's sort of a "bridge" of the two seasons. Important scenes from there would also be mentioned this season but if you want to see how they actually unfolded…
And good idea on binge watching, because waiting from week to week really emphasised its slow crawl for me.

I have no complaints about the last episode since it addressed pretty much every question in the series, but overall it feels like K had a story that the production didn't know how to stretch for 13 episodes, resulting to a clunky pacing. This is like the problem I had with Charlotte only done the other way around (good story, rushed pacing). I do still want to know spoiler[how Kuro and Neko found Shiro (now Weisman)] but oh well, "lived happily ever after", and all that, right?

Oh, and like what others already said, the fan service throughout the episodes was really bad (seriously, Anna was the only female character left unscathed). The fact that I didn't notice a glaring one in the last, especially with that scene between Seri and Munakata (my favorite part), made my final impression of the series a bit better.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

I'd even say that watching before starting this season is critical; I watched ep 1 before watching the movie (mostly because I forgot that the movie existed!), and found that many things in ep 1 didn't make full sense until I saw the movie.

As for reviewing the first series, it's mostly just important to remember how the final battle between Mikotoh and Munakata played out and who Shiro turned out to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
serena91cs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
I could have sworn that we saw Shiro's original body (The Silver King A.K.W.'s) body in a glass coffin at the Gold kings place? So how did he get his body back at the end of the series when his soul was forced out of the one he's been walking around in???? I'm really happy they didn't kill him off, but i'm still not sure how he pulled that move off...........

(Did the gold king have it in a suspended animation tank or something?)
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:11 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies! Looks like I'll be good to go after watching the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5