• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Metal Panic! Novels Inspire New Anime Adaptation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mithril02

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh sure thing Scrap. It was a translation from the official livestream from Nico Nico Very Happy

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1129028

There you go, enjoy!
Mithril02

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
So speculation at the moment is that Gonzo or Sunrise will be doing Season 4 :3 obviously not confirmed but unlikely it's Kyoto tho.

Last edited by Mithril02 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm torn. I saw this show both ways and prefer the English Dub, however... ADV is now Sentai Filmworks, and it's no secret how... "special" their dubs tend to be, in no small part to Steven Foster getting to direct most of them.

Either Funimation will get this and give it a great dub, but recast Sousuke (which is a damned shame because I thought Chris Patton was the perfect Sousuke Sagara), or Sentai will get it and rush it to hell.

Aside from that, I don't mind if they're remaking it from the start or continuing it from where The Second Raid left off. I'd love to see everything done with even better animation (which is saying something because TSR had stellar animation in my opinion). I just pray that KyotoAni does this. They didn't do The Disappearance of Yuki Nagato after all.

In conclusion, I doubt that this will be bad if it's a remake. If it's just one OVA or something like that, I'll be frustrated as hell. 10 years after TSR. We should definitely be getting some kind of closure with the series by that point, and if the new adaptation turns out to be anything but, it will be a terrible loss.
Mithril02

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote
So according to a source from twitter, Gatoh said he'd like to release Season 4(Continuation after TSR) by 2020 Olympics. But I'm not sure if it says that or it says he'd like to release it before that. Twitter Source https://twitter.com/hirossss. It'd be ridiculous if it takes that long, well we waited 10 years...what's another 4.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:48 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
And i can't remember an anime Hilary Haag worked for Funi....

She was the voice of Rebecca Miyamoto from Pani Poni Dash, which is under Funimation's domain.

But when she did it she was working for ADV, not Funimation.
Is there some reason why she does not work for Funimation?
At least Luci Christian has done work for Funimation.

AFAIK, the only part that Hilary Haag has done for Funimation was Seth in Trinity Blood, and all other shows that Funimation has the license for that she was in are shows that ADV once had the license for.

As to why she hasn't done much with Funimation, as I understand it, she got married and had kids, and so she had less time available for voice acting in general, and Funimation is hours away near Fort Worth (whereas ADV/Seraphim Digital is in Houston where she is). So, it's a much bigger commitment to go do work for Funimation. That hasn't stopped many other voice actors, but it does make it harder, and if she's busy enough with the rest of her life, then it's not going to work very well for her.

That being said, Funimation has already shown in the past that they're determined to get the original voice actors for a series if they reasonably can, so if they do get FMP season 4, then they'll almost certainly do what they need to do to get the main actors back. In the case of FMP: TSR, they actually had ADV do the dub, which solved that problem for them. I wouldn't think that they'd do the same thing again given how many of the lead actors already do work for Funimation, but they might.

But we don't even know for sure yet that Funimation is going to get the license. Maybe Sentai Filmworks will (in which case, it probably won't be a problem to get the original voice actors - or at least those who are still alive), or maybe someone like Viz will get it, and we'll get all new actors (let's definitely hope not). But regardless, it's premature to worry about whether Funimation is going to be able to get all of the voice actors back when there is no release date for the show yet, let alone a license announcement from Funimation.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
Due to some legal debate or something between Section 23 and Funimation, Chris Patton has stopped appearing in Funimation dubs. Any dub where he had a role has seen him be replaced (Sgt Frog, FMA Brotherhood, etc.). I think that if Funimation gets it, we might actually have a problem on our hands. Chris Patton's Sousuke was so true to the character and likable. If they replace it with anyone, it will sound... off.

Also, I totally thought Hilary Haag was Carrie Savage all this time. Am I the only one who thinks they sound alike?
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:18 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Due to some legal debate or something between Section 23 and Funimation, Chris Patton has stopped appearing in Funimation dubs. Any dub where he had a role has seen him be replaced (Sgt Frog, FMA Brotherhood, etc.).

I thought that all of the legal disputes between Funimation and Section23 had been settled, but maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention. And I don't know what the issue with Patton is and Funimation. This thread is the first that I've heard of it, and no one has given references. But for FMA: Brotherhood at least, Chris Patton did play the original Greed like he had in the first anime. So, either whatever issues he has with Funimation were resolved by then, happened after then, or weren't an issue in that particular case for whatever reason. He may very well have been replaced in other roles like in Sgt. Frog though (it's hard to tell from looking that cast listing on ANN though, since it says that he played Viper, and there are multiple characters with Viper in their name in the list, and I haven't seen much of the show, so I'm not familiar with the characters).

But whatever the issue is, it could lead to Funimation having Section23 / Seraphim Digital do the dub. Or the issue could have been resolved by then. Or we could lose out on Chris Patton as Sousuke (much as that would suck). Or someone other than Funimation may get the license.

I very much hope that the original cast members reprise their roles, but I think that it's too early to worry about it at this point. If Funimation does get the license, however, given what they've said and done with other shows, I think that we can be sure that they will do their best to get the original cast members (though that doesn't guarantee that they'll succeed, just that they'll try).

louis6578 wrote:
Also, I totally thought Hilary Haag was Carrie Savage all this time. Am I the only one who thinks they sound alike?

Really? I wouldn't have thought that they sounded that much alike, but I also pay enough attention to the voices that I can usually tell folks apart pretty well.
0nsen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
0nsen wrote:
Now the only thing to do is waiting for its cancellation. Will only believe this once I hold the blu-rays in my hands.

Right, so will you be denying its existence even when its airing on TV, streaming online or available for pirating?

Yes. TV versions might as well not exist at all. Just look at the Sazae-san anime. The author of the manga didn't want it to be sold, so it was only aired on TV and most of it is now forever lost.

Besides, TV versions usually suck compared to the BD(DVD, Laserdisc, whatever) and not only because of the censorship.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Due to some legal debate or something between Section 23 and Funimation, Chris Patton has stopped appearing in Funimation dubs.

He talked about this on his facebook page a while back. the lawsuit had nothing to do with it. he just couldn't commit to the 8 hour round trip between Houston and Dallas. he was getting drowsy far too often on his way home on the highway and in the interest of his safety, decided to stop going to funi for roles
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Due to some legal debate or something between Section 23 and Funimation, Chris Patton has stopped appearing in Funimation dubs.

He talked about this on his facebook page a while back. the lawsuit had nothing to do with it. he just couldn't commit to the 8 hour round trip between Houston and Dallas. he was getting drowsy far too often on his way home on the highway and in the interest of his safety, decided to stop going to funi for roles

Then do you think that he might come over for a dub with this much demand for him? I wish that Houston was still the powerhouse that it was as ADV, but as it is, I really don't trust Sentai with this one. In my personal experience, the dubbing hierarchy goes something like this...

1. Funimation/Dallas
2. LA/Bang Zoom
3. Houston (ADV days)
4. Vancouver
5. New York
6. Houston as Sentai Filmworks
7. Blue Water

Even with the same actors as ADV's FMP dub, the fact that the direction is usually so rushed and flat with their dubs, especially with things like Clannad and Angel Beats that demand emotion, makes me worry. If Funimation licensed FMP but still let Houston dub it, do you guys think it will end up being okay?
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
If Funimation licensed FMP but still let Houston dub it, do you guys think it will end up being okay?

I think that it will be okay for me, but I do not know if it will be okay for you because we obviously have different standards.
I like the Angel Beats dub.

I have not heard every dub that Sentai has made but I do like all of those that I have heard, including Maid Sama. I mention that one because I have seen complaints about it, but I really enjoyed it.

But isn't it a bit early to be concerned about the English dub for something that is still just the announcement of a plan for an anime?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
It's never too early to worry about how things will turn out. But yeah, we may have different standards. I'll say that Sentai at least has perfectly listenable dubs, though I tend to loathe them when I've heard the sub first, which is never a good sign.

It's possible that Sentai got better since I last heard them, but then again, I'm not at all impressed by Parasyte's dub (okay, Migi sounds good, but everyone else sounds flat or confused, like the actors can't understand what's going on) and I've seen Watamote's dub when it came out, but even then, the only reason that was good was because Monica Rial's Tomoko was the only thing I had to listen to for a good deal of it, and she usually does great.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
If No Game No Life and Love, Chūnibyō & Other Delusions -Heart Throb- is anything to go by, I'd say that Sentai is improving a bit with their dubs as of late. However, I can understand how the English versions of their earlier anime shows gave a bad impression in the eyes of some...
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
If No Game No Life and Love, Chūnibyō & Other Delusions -Heart Throb- is anything to go by, I'd say that Sentai is improving a bit with their dubs as of late. However, I can understand how the English versions of their earlier anime shows gave a bad impression in the eyes of some...

I haven't seen No Game No Life's dub or... the second anime you said whose name is really long. However, I must say that The World God Only Knows and High School of the Dead had good, not great, dubs. I thought Sentai was improving too, but then I heard their most recent dub of Parasyte and it's just plain bad. The parasites have more emotion than the humans most of the time, and I doubt it was intentional. Half the time, it sounds like Shinichi is being sarcastic about the fear his character is going through.

I guess if those dubs are decent like you say, it doesn't really mean they're improving, but that for everyone five bad dubs they do, there's one good dub. However, there are a few voice actors in Sentai who are usually great regardless of the quality of the overall dub. Luci Christian, Chris Patton, Hilary Haag, Greg Ayres, and Monica Rial. Aside from them though... I haven't been impressed yet.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope I'm just exaggerating. I pray that I have no idea what I'm talking about and that Sentai dubs will be on par with the best of Funimation and ADV's golden years.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

If that's all it is, then even though he's not interested in working for them normally, I expect that Funi could get him to come back for Sousuke if they get the license for the new series, especially if he's expressed a strong interest in reprising the role in the past. It would be a much different story if he were seriously ticked at them for some reason or if there were some sort of legal trouble, but a concern about driving too much in one day seems like something they could work around or make worth his while if we're just talking about a single role - and one that he's very interested in at that.

That being said, considering the long drive, it's kind of amazing how many Houston VAs end up doing as much at Funimation as they do. Maybe those that do are able to stay longer at a time or just don't mind the drive as much. It probably also depends heavily on their day jobs. Those that don't have other jobs probably have an easier time of it than those that do, making the trip easier to deal with. But there are definitely some Houston VAs that have either never done anything at Funimation or have done so quite sparingly, even if they've done a fair bit in Houston.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8