• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Peeping Life TV Season 1?? (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Peeping Life TV Season 1??

Genres: comedy

Plot Summary: This "slow-life anime" is part of the datsuryoku-kei (ennui-style) genre of comedy that depicts the minutiae of everyday life. The series observes the daily lives of Heroes from the worlds of Tezuka Production and Tatsunoko Production, “evolved” for their modern TV appearances, and combines motion-captured improvised acting with computer animation into a series of comedy shorts.

Streaming on Crunchyroll
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

I was hooked from the opening flash mob of heroes dancing to Bradio's "Hotel Alien." This episode consisted of sketches featuring Astroboy who is making his way through adolescence now, Doronjo coming to Yatterman-1 to fix her bike after a battle, Black Jack with the flu seeing a doctor (Yatterman's Boyacky) who accuses him of being a chuunibyou, and the first in a series of Dumb Couple (aka Bacouple) Goes to Guam shorts (look for Black Jack sitting two rows back from them on the plane).

Peeping Life has been around for quite awhile, with over 200 episodes (Perfect Edition is streaming on ANN, via CR), and some characters from previous seasons, like the Bacouple, also appear in this. I think this is a continuation (or broadcast of what's out on DVD?) of Peeping Life: We Are the Heroes, but I haven't been able to pin down the connection yet. But as there is no plot, you don't need to have seen any of the previous series to jump right in.

But it does help to know a little about the heroes featured. In that sense, it's been quite educational for me, as I only am familiar with about half of these characters, but have learned a lot over just 4 episodes.

I find it very relaxing to listen to the conversations in this, because it's more like conversational Japanese than the more precise ennunciation and dramatic readings that are normal for anime. It's also very funny, if you enjoy dry and laid-back Japanese-style humor. Basically, I think if you like the humor in One Punch Man and Osomatsu-san, you might enjoy Peeping Life.

On the other hand, if you know what kabedon is and can look at this image without laughing, then maybe it's not for you. Very Happy

(edited to replace photobucket pics)

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:28 am; edited 4 times in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Bob's Karaoke Lecture in which Bob the Genie tries to help Joey through a karaoke session. These characters are originally from The Genie Family (I'm using wiki links because they have more information, and you'll need it), aka Hakushon Daimaou, and the names in the subtitles are the Westernized ones used internationally. So Bob = Hakushon, Joey = Kan-chan, and Jane = um, Jane? Bob has undergone a significant transformation from his late 60's self, from a rotund buffoon to a buff mentor. Puberty has not been kind to poor Joey though.

Good Buy Shopping has Triton from Triton of the Sea shilling for all-in-one fax copiers. The opposite of Bob, Triton has gone from sleek to pudgy with boy-boobs. If you watch him during the OP, he's a half beat behind throughout. I guess he doesn't move so well on land. Also the concept of home shopping products seems to be lost on him.

Boyacky's Room is a sort of Wayne's World talk show, hosted by Boyacky from Yatterman, with his guest Tink (sometimes called Choppy in English releases) from Princess Knight (aka Ribon no Kishi). Looking at comments around the web, most people have no idea who Tink is and think he's a riff on Link from Zelda. Smile Anyway, the two sort of get along, bonding (and competing) over being dressed in green. If you've ever watched a Japanese interview show or actors chatting in the extras, this should feel familiar. Smile

Dumb Couple Goes to Guam: Immigration is the second leg of their trip, as they delight in how the air smells different and worry about how to get their powdered flu drugs through customs. "I am a wind(ow) devil!" That will make hilarious sense if you watch it.

If you didn't notice them before, Bradio makes a cameo appearance in the OP.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

This episode begins with Jetto Gets a Girlfriend. Jetto, aka Cobalt is Astro Boy's younger older brother. In the anime, he was made first and put into storage due to being defective, while in the manga he was created to replace Astro Boy who was presumed lost. In both versions, he's not quite up to Astro's level.

This sketch seems to be built off the anime story, with Jetto complaining that he's made for fighting but can't fight, and Astro looking up to him as the older brother, seeking advice on how to get girls. Elder siblings can surely relate to how this plays out. The pacifist Jetto's reaction to a broken model is a brief tour de force of frustrated mourning, and the sounds he makes are...unexpected.

Next up is Casshern's In-law Woes, which is kind of false advertising since he and Luna Kozuki (the Casshan version, not the Casshern Sins design) are not married, and said woes consist of her problems with his mother, not his with hers. Personally I think he needs to get out while he can, since she says she doesn't like Friender, and how could he marry someone who doesn't like Friender?! Anyway, not as good as I'd hoped it would be, but still funny, especially his ultimate proposal. "And then...?" Laughing

The rest of this episode is characters from the original series, starting with Valentine's Day with Shota and Kohta, the two schoolboys from the OP, who are checking desks for Valentine's gifts and competing over the one they find. Mildly amusing, but not lol funny.

That's followed up by Dumb Couple Goes to Guam: At the Hotel. Sadly, we did not get to see Yuki and Machahiko go through customs. As for this sketch, the most amazing thing about it to me is how much mileage they get out of a keycard lock and a "I'm so fat" joke. After saying she looks like an eggplant, "Yuki-pyon" accuses her husband (?) of thinking "I don't want to look at Japanese vegetables all the way out here in Guam!" He protests that no, she looks more like a sponge gourd, which doesn't mollify her - because it's still a Japanese vegetable. It's fascinating watching them go from that to "let's hit the beach!" in the space of two minutes. Humor-wise, Machahiko's last line just nails it. Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

First up, Illana, Idol Groupie. This sketch concerns the distaff side of the Genie Family (see above for link), with Illana (Jp = Akubi) wanting Joey to take her to a Loose Socks concert (she dodges the question of how she was seeing concerts up to now). Joey's never heard of them, so she tries to teach him how to express his love for them. The best part was her insistence that he bring oxygen tanks. Took me a bit to realize where she was going with that, but hilarious when I got it. One of the things I enjoy with these sketches is the details in the backgrounds (lots of time to look them over). Joey's family may have a genie on their team but they still seem to be one roof away from being homeless.

On deck is Dr. Elefun and Mr. Mustachio's Old Geezer Chat. This is one of my favorite sketches so far. It begins with Mr. Mustachio asking Dr. Elefun (Prof. Ochanomizu) how "that boy who wears nothing but pants" is doing. He claims to remember when Astro was a wee lad, and they discuss if he's ok with just wearing pants.

The conversation meanders around from Astro to malls until Elefun asks Mustachio what his real name is. I think this is a sly reference to the fact that Mustachio has had an insane variety of names in both the Astro Boy anime and manga, as well other Tezuka manga. I think his original name was Shunsuke Ban, and he was nicknamed Higeoyaji ("moustache old man"). Then in the anime he became private detective Victor Pompous, then Percival Pompous. In the 80's anime the English dub called him Albert Duncan, aka Daddy Walrus. Then in 2003 he became Wally Kisaragi. So it's not surprising when he says he can't remember his name anymore. But beyond that, the question trips him out into this strange, existential Alzheimer's fog. It's very bizarre, but fun.

The identity crisis continues with Sapphire's Falsetto Practice, in which Prince/ss Sapphire from Ribon no Kishi (see above) is lamenting to Tink that her voice isn't getting any better. This one was confusing, since Sapphire is a girl passing as a boy, but here is voiced by a man and seems distressed that a kid calls her "mister." Tink also seemed to think that was the goal. At any rate I learned what "gap moe" is. En garde! Smile

Rounding out the episode is the eminently skippable "Matchmaking Center: Mommy's Boy with Communication Disorders." Mildly, and I mean mildly, amusing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 starts off with Casshern again in Casshern's Reunion at the Health Center, said reunion being in the sauna with his arch-nemesis Braiking Boss (as always, character designs are from the 1973 tv series). Casshern, who is inexplicably fully dressed, doesn't recognize him at first without his cape and headgear, but when he does, he's immediately on guard. BB reassures him he's reformed, but his assurances aren't so convincing. Also in this episode we learn what a löyly is. Smile

Following up is two episodes of Boyacky's Room. His first guest is Jetto (aka Cobalt), Astro Boy's older younger brother, a complication addressed in the interview. This whole segment is a real treat, one of my favorites so far. There's a fun callback to episode 3 and some wordplay around jeans jacket (ji-jan?), but the best part is Jetto's hilarious roleplay moment at the end.

The second Boyacky's Room hosts newscaster Taichi Masu, "the face of Japan." He actually does look kind of like every Japanese newscaster I've seen rolled into one. In other words, the animators have perfected "anchor-face" here. This part was dumbfoundingly stupid, and yet it had me rolling, especially his miming (with sound effects) of washing a window (in comparison, Boyacky's rendition of that was perfect). I'm not really much of a Boyacky fan, but he was really on his game for this one, and these interviews really capture the tone I'm come to expect of such things from watching extras on anime dvds and youtube videos. Finishing off the segment was an impressive tongue-twister delivered flawlessly.

I wonder if they figure people get bored and wander off, because they keep putting the worst sketches last (which I guess is nice). We're back at the matchmaker with Matchmaking Center: Working Woman in Denial. It had its moments, like when the client said she was looking for someone with a shisa face (which might be a colloquialism, but I think they meant it literally), and would like it if they earned 9.8 million yen, as if that sounded more modest than 10 million. But again, skippable. I just don't like the matchmaker woman.
edited to fix broken link

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sun May 01, 2022 8:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Operation: Triton's Diet has Triton of the Sea trying to figure out how to use a treadmill at a fitness club. Boyacky is on hand to explain, having made some modifications to the treadmill, including the starting "cat speed," increasing to "Joyner speed" and the ultimate "Nozomi speed." Plus low-frequency vibrations in the base! The visual payoff at the end is great.

This installment of Good Buy Shopping has Ambassador Magma enlisted to hawk a gold necklace (with low-frequency vibrations!). Magma is a bit more savvy to the shopping network than Triton was, but almost anyone would be. Still he throws a few curveballs to the host, like wondering if viewers can even see the necklace against his gold surface, and whether he can transform into a rocket with it on. I'm kind of curious about the original character's personality, because at one point this Magma winks at the camera in a cheeky sort of "I know you get it" way that makes me wonder if he's always had a sense of humor. Smile

Taichi Masu returns in a crossover chat with Zip!'s Mika Oguma. It turns out that Masu is a real person (so I guess he's the one who has "anchor-face" down), as is Oguma (which I finally noticed in the end credits). Zip! is a morning tv show, which you can google to get a better idea, since I can't find a definitive English website to describe it. This is essentially a callback to episode 5, with Boyacky's low-frequency vibration articulation aid at center stage again. Plus more great tongue-twisters.

After that it's back to the Matchmaking Center: Farmer's First-born Son. Bleh. But I still got a kick out of his obsession with cabbage and his reaction to a potential girlfriend who didn't have a car (let alone drive a pickup). I just wish they'd quit doing the matchmaker ones altogether.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I keep getting further and further behind. T.T In the meantime, Bradio has released the full version of the OP, as well as a parody version, much as they did with "Flyers" for Death Parade. They seem to be having a lot of fun. Both are definitely worth a look.

This episode starts with Astro's Dubbing. Astro Boy has apparently been talked into doing an ad for deodorant (since he sweats so much? Confused ) because he's expecting lots of girls after national exposure. When it becomes apparent it's merely a regional ad, he's less than enthusiastic and things go downhill from there. Apparently "national chicks" are preferred over "regional chicks." But mixers conquer all. I think my favorite part of that was just listening to whatever noises he was making to mimic the producer's "mumbling."

This is followed up by three installments of Quiz Renaissance, a game show hosted by Megwin ("the face of dubstep") that's kind of like Win, Lose or Draw. The guests are Black Jack, Prince(ss) Sapphire, and Yatterman 2. They draw various things like Astro Boy, Mona Lisa at the grocery, and Yatterwan, and the results are hilarious, not only for what they draw, but for the interactions with the host, who ridicules them while they insist on taking everything quite seriously. This is another one where the backgrounds are also very interesting (the artworks denoting each player; after Sapphire knocks off her name plate in the first segment, it's taped to the desk in the following segments, etc.).

Finally Bradio caps off the episode with a cameo during the previews. I think I enjoyed this more than almost any of them since Astroboy's kabedon.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Even though the series is over, I'll keep posting these for posterity. Smile The downtime between seasons is the perfect time to check it out! And since it's not plot driven, you can enjoy it in 4-8 min bursts, and skip over any segments you don't like.

Having said that, this is probably one of the weakest of the series. Yatterwan Becomes a House Pet?! starts things off. Apparently Yatterman-1 left Yatterwan broken down in a warehouse for a few months, and is trying to get it back after it was adopted by some girl (I don't know if we're supposed to know who she is or not) who has renamed it Ryu-chan, to which it is already answering. He tries to explain that the parts it needed were discontinued and he was trying to find replacements, but she thinks he just dumped it in favor of a new machine, and now wants it back because he ran out of budget. I think this is a subtle reference to the '77 series in which the bigger, better Yatter-King was made to replace Yatterwan, using Yatterwan's damaged remains.

This segment is not as funny as it might've been, and kind of just ends, but it's another one of those where the background scene is fun to look at (like her photos of Yatterwan on her bulletin board, in the most pink/purple room I've ever seen).

This is followed by Noon through the Power Windows, featuring characters from the OVAs I guess. Not much to say about it other than it's about a guy trying to make up with his wife who has locked him out of their car and keeps rolling up the windows, after he insulted her to relatives while drunk. There are a couple of amusing lines, but all that's missing from his apology is one of these.

Next is Natural Organic Boy about a new worker at a natural products shop. The worker keeps getting lectured by the manager about how unnatural his lifestyle is, but he manages to turn the tables on him, until they find one thing to agree on. If you skip it, you won't miss much. Smile

Saving the best for last is another fun installment of Boyacky's Room, with guest Braiking Boss. The more I see of Boyacky, the more I like him. Braiking Boss explains how being struck by lightning made him go off the rails and have the sudden urge to destroy humanity and take over the world. He advises anyone out there who's turning to evil to learn from his story. He even thanks Casshern for stopping his conquest. After Boyacky admits to be a little "evil-leaning" himself (which is clear from his treatment of BB), they work on how to present Braiking Boss as a sympathetic reformed criminal, shooting him from the neck down to hide his identity (too late), altering his voice, etc. Boyacky's Room really nails the ambience of a typical Japanese interview show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Happy New Year! I would have posted sooner, but I got distracted watching Peeping Life World History on YT. Check it out, they're only 5 minutes each. Subtitles under the gear icon. Episode 8, with the astronauts, made me do a spit-take at the payoff.

On to the episode. First is Touch, All Grown Up. I've been wondering from the beginning who the diaper boy in the OP was, and now I know: He is Touch Wateri, baby brother of Melmo from Marvelous Melmo. This is an interesting series, being an early proponent of the panty-shot as well as intended by Tezuka as a rudimentary sex-ed guide for children. Through contemporary eyes, it could also be seen as steroid doping and drug abuse. Shocked

The latter is because 9 year-old Melmo's dead mother has returned from Heaven to drop off red and blue pills candies, which can mature her to an adult and back, or regress her to a fetus or an animal (if both are taken at once). In the Peeping Life episode, little Touch has gotten into her candies and grown quite a bit, but is still in diapers. The set-up here is promising, but they fail to really deliver on its potential, mostly just arguing about if he can go outside or not. Still, for a baby's mind in a teen's body (reverse Conan!) he's remarkably articulate, yet oddly still bald, save for a babyish forelock.

The next segment is another character I'd been wondering about, finally appearing in Hutch the Honeybee: Lost at the Mall. Hutch's backstory is that he's searching for his Mother the Queen after their hive was destroyed by hornets, and in the Mall's security office here he's still looking for her, although there's a question of whether he might just be hitting on women in the mall. They make good use of the original premise and it's pretty funny, but the background details for this are just great, including a postage stamp commemorating the worm that appears in the end credits being used as a wall poster and a rock bearing cave paintings, among other little easter eggs.

Next is The Master Yogi, Muthu-san, Comes to Japan featuring a character who I think was first introduced in the World History PL series (having not seen the original PL though, I can't be sure). He's a fraudulent Yogi, perpetually on the 10th day of fasting, who spouts a lot of nonsense, seems to be fixated on the Tsukiji fish market, and isn't particularly funny.

The episode finishes with another Good Buy Shopping, with guest Doronjo selling Biotech Beauty Gel Alpha Beta Nano Thirteen! Reduces collagen to the nano scale and is 13.5 times more concentrated than normal! There's "fifteen years worth of squeezing in there!" Generally amusing during the ridiculous sales pitch, but a lot of the run time is Doronjo just trying to get the name right. I still keep thinking the host must be a real person, but still find no evidence of that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

This is probably the weakest episode of the series, so go learn how to do the OP dance for summer cosplay fun (broken into sections, then put together at the end; no translation, none needed). I especially like the genki-ness of the girl on the left and the lanky style of the girl in the center who seems like she'd be a joy to hang out with. The girl on the right is hilariously just out of sync, like Triton is in the OP (no, she actually does a better job than he does).

But if you want to watch the episode anyway, it starts with Totally Fast as Hell, Dude! featuring Casshern buying a new laptop. They nail the sales pitch and the kicker line is pretty funny, so yeah, watch this one.

Then comes more tech with Cell Phone Family: Switching to a Smartphone, in which a father is desperately trying to bond with his daughter and find out what she's up to in her personal life. This was actually a bit funnier to me on second viewing, since I recognized the characters from PL: World History #10. The early discussion is essentially the same, except with cell phones instead of papyrus. I guess it feels more like an in-joke now or something, but overall I still wouldn't say it's much of a knee-slapper.

From mediocre to outright boring, moving on to On the Bullet Train with a Backpacker. This feels a little like Natural Organic Boy from start to end, and the only truly astonishing thing about it was that I learned you can swing the entire bench seat 180° so that people can either face each other or sit in tandem. I had no idea... Still, I guess anyone who's ever had to sit with a determined talker on public transportation can relate to this.

The last segment is Gold Lightan and Magma's Sentimental Journey: Gold Stamp. These two have apparently become good friends as both are gold, transforming heroes at the beck and call of young boys. Here they're visiting a museum in Fukuoka and encounter a gold stamp ("Stamp-san") of the "King of Na of Na" (Na no Na no) in a display case. I enjoyed this on a number of levels. Gold Lightan is quite the deadpan joker, which was fun, and Stamp-san (or "Stampson") is obviously a reference to Print Lightan, one of GL's legion of assistant robots.

After the previews, Otaku-kun says he's now going to read some fan-mail, but then admits he doesn't have any. I can sympathize. Anime cry
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Still plugging away! Very Happy This episode was a vast improvement over the previous one, though it still had some weak points. The biggest one was the starting sketch of Triton of the Sea on Guard at the Beach. With Triton as a lifeguard and Astro Boy as his foil, this had great potential, but it felt like the improv hadn't been thought out at all, so it kept flailing in the middle to keep going. Still, it had its moments, such as Triton assuming Astro had come to swim because of his outfit, when Astro was just taking a shortcut home to read his manga. If you're wondering who Ruka (or Rukawa) is, she was a dolphin who saved Triton after Poseidon killed all his people.

When I first linked to Triton earlier in this thread, I actually didn't read the entire storyline, and holy cow, it's hard to imagine it as a children's show with all the murder, death and destruction of pretty much everyone. I kinda want to see it now. >.>

After the secret of what's behind Astro's belly plate is revealed, we move on to another Good Buy Shopping, with guest pitchman Gold Lightan. After a shout-out to Hiro, the boy who first found Lightan in his lighter form, they bring out Silver Burning-kun, a super torch lighter that is so powerful that you can "cook up to 3 American buffaloes with just one can!! Why, Japanese people?!" This brings out Lightan's competitive side, which is also pretty funny. Made in the USA just can't compete with made in the Mecha Dimension.

Usually I'm not as taken with the non-Tezuka characters, but Newlyweds Buy a Cheap Cleaning Robot is an exception. There's no hugely funny joke here, but I still found myself delighted by their fascination with the little Roomba type cleaner (and couldn't take my eyes off it myself) as they discussed what to name it and its gender. "Huh...does it have a steaming feature?" Laughing

GL is back for Gold Lightan and Magma's Sentimental Journey: Nakasu. This is a really odd duck, even for this series. Lightan and Magma are hanging out sitting on a bridge (and deforming the railings under their weight), dangling their feet in the river below, talking about the protocol for eating ramen in the local eateries. I think if you're Japanese, and/or know about the restaurants and nightlife of Nakasu, this might be hilarious, but it was mostly lost on me, aside from enjoying these two banter with each other. About the only thing I sort of understood was Lightan's secret desire to go to Kinkaku-ji in Kyoto instead. At least I get why he's drawn to the place. Smile

Anyway, if you happen to like these two characters, one of their best sketches is in PL:We Are the Hero, where they're again bridge sitting, with Asahi Brewery's Golden Turd building in the background. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Time to wrap this up at last! The series ends where it began, with Astro Boy's wish come true in Astro Finally Has a Body Change. Be careful what you wish for.

The most obvious change is a green tank top and thigh-length pants, which Astro is over the moon about. Well, not so much the top, which looks like a wrestler's singlet. Dr. Elefun is not swayed, complaining that he'll be asking for outerwear next. Astro tries to punch him and finds that, as he had requested, he's been powered down a bit...too much. And can no longer fly.
"What am I if I can't even fly?!"

"Just Boy. When you get used to it, maybe you'll become Capable Boy."

"I'm so screwed."

Adolescence is hard.

Next is another round of Boyacky's Room with guest Hutch the Honeybee. Hutch is still searching for his mother of course, so Boyacky encourages him (between bouts of threatening to squash him) to send a tv message to her in "buganese." Hutch's version of bee-speak doesn't impress him, so he insists on something more cinematic. Hutch, after many Boyackian guilt trips and interruptions, does finally get a message out, but I don't think Mom is going to understand it.

One of the things I like about Boyacky is that he sort of sounds like MrRogers' slightly evil twin. Very calm and soothing voice, but with a lisp and a bit of an edge to his humor.

Gold Lightan and Ambassador Magma's Sentimental Journey continues from last week, and they are now indulging Lightan's wish to visit Kinkaku-ji. Their first impression of all that gold? "Holy crap!" Standing in the rain looking at it, that's about all they can muster, having been there, done that now. Lightan seems a bit depressed, talking about quitting being gold, until it comes out that he'd rather be there with his boy Hiro-kun (Magma is just there as a "guest artist"), who he feels no longer summons him because he "doesn't like how blindingly golden I am." Magma suggests he just ditch Hiro-kun instead. It's nearly the end of a friendship, until Lightan declares what color he wants to change to.

For the final sketch, our host Otaku-kun finally gets his own segment in Otaku-kun Starts Streaming. He's such a sweet little nerdling, you can't help but love him, and all the people living in his head, unless he makes you want to strangle him. While I empathize with his total lack of social skills, after awhile he can set my teeth on edge a little. But anyone who's ever tried to make a video of themselves or heard their voice for the first time can probably relate. The ending is rather appropriate for the series as well.

The "preview" is actually a quick recap, but the very end is fun if you've watched all the other previews.

And that's Season One??! I hope there'll be a Season Two!!, but I'm not holding my breath. If you speak Japanese or are learning, you might want to check Anime Bancho's YT channel for the various other Peeping Life series, but most of those aren't subbed for us English-only fans. Still a lot of them are (I think all of World History is, and at least part of Library), so take a peep! Embarassed

I'll let myself out now. I hope the 20 or so lurkers enjoyed the thread. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:16 am Reply with quote
If you've ever wondered about the behind-the-scenes of making Peeping Life (in all its varieties), I ran across some YT videos of a fan event where they interview people from Tezuka and Tatsunoko Pros about how they managed to collaborate using their iconic characters alongside PL's roster of idiots. It's pretty funny. I was also surprised to learn that the director voiced both Boyacky and Otaku-kun, as well as that he's kinda gorgeous. He looks like he graduated from a boy band. Smile I also hadn't realized that Astro Boy shared his seiyuu with several PL-original female characters like the distaff side of the Silly Couple. The host of this event, sporting a full-on Boyacky moustache, is also the voice for the male half of the Silly Couple.

Part 1: The first segment starts off with a bunch of promo clips and segues to bringing on the reps from the companies at around 5 min, if you want to skip that since the promos have no subs. The rest of the event is subbed under CC.

Part 2: The director and the actress mentioned above show up and riff.

Part 3: More of them, including some acting out of skits. They do commentary on an actual PL segment, but as it's not captioned, you might want to watch it subbed first (CC) here when you get to that part.

Part 4: How they make a segment from concept to final cut. Very interesting if you don't know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1