• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Long Division

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Exactly, there wasn't much improvement in regards of character animation from Morrowind to Oblivion or from Fallout 3 to Skyrim, so I don't expect them suddenly bring an A game in this department. That being said, I hope writing will be better this time, Fallout 3 severely lacked writing quality of previous installments and this is one of the reasons why hardcore RPG fans prefer New Vegas to it.

Count me in as preferring New Vegas to Fallout 3. I'm still not happy with them turning the series from an isometric RPG to a shooter with RPG mechanics, but Fallout 3's disrespect to the lore and gameplay mechanics was also disappointing. The most noticible change being the Brotherhood of Steel now being kind, benevelont Paladins who defend the weak. The portayal of the Brotherhood of Steel in New Vegas, with them being xenophobic, hording technology, and jerks is more to how they're supposed to be. Truth be told, when I heard Bethesda was making Fallout 4 instead of Obsidian, I lost any interest in it. Even the trailer makes it look like Fallout 3 2 rather than Fallout 4.

The censoring in Nintendo games is unfortunate, but not surprising. Other companies would have let it slide, but Nintendo of America is a bit stickier with keeping things family friendly in the west. No doubt that's why Bravely Default and Fire Emblem were also censoroed when it came to skimpy outfits. At least, I remember hearing Nintendo had something to do with Bravely Default's localization, I could be wrong.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
According to Nielsen Ratings, Fallout 4 is one of the most anticipated games this 2015 holiday season:

More anticipated than even otaku games for otaku systems.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

anyways Neir looks... interesting to say the least, i have no clue what its about but it sure looks nice, guess i gotta go hit youtube and see if there are any complete walkthrough's of the first game and see what the storys about. I also need to play drakenguard... 1... 2... and 3. Huh thats gonna take a big chunk of time Anime hyper

I'd recommend playing Nier if you can, used copies are usually around 20 dollars. It's one of those games with multiple endings / plotlines and where player interactivity and choice really effects the emotions you'll get out of it. It's better than the Drakengard games too imo. Don't bother with Drakengard 2; it wasn't made by the guy who did Nier & Drakengard 1&3.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Has Nintendo not seen Bikini Girls? They're the best outfit for an adventurer to have, they protect you from extreme cold, heat and much more.

Anyway wasn't interested in XCX but it is still sad that Ninty forced that unnecessary change. Don't see how it was creepy, it's not even sexualized for an outfit but double standards yada yada. Sad but true.

Also that new NieR game is looking fab, should probably get around to playing the first NieR at some point, still have it unopened but no longer have the console (that works) to play it on.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Really looking forward to Nier Automata. I really like the original Nier; (more for story than gameplay) and it's great to finally see Yoko Taro working on a game with the budget and tech to really carry out his vision. That Platinum is working on it is an awesome bonus. I'm curious about Indivisble since anything inspired by Valkyrie Profile will get a look from me. Speaking of VP, I have to disagree with Todd and Mike Z here, I think the original VP is a little overrated. True, it has the best story in the series but VP2 and VP CotP are still great games. VP2 has the best gameplay in the series, imo. Anyway, I'm really surprised the devs went with Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter. I hope going with Indiegogo isn't affecting the publicity for the game.

Calsolum wrote:
Sume Gai wrote:
I must wonder if any seriously expected Lin not to be given some tweaks? Nintendo is catering to the additudes of the west which means sexualizing young characters is right out. We could argue that this additude is stupid (I personally think the double standard toward sex vs violence is pretty dumb) but I can't fault a company for choosing to follow that trend (at least in the case where it doesn't hurt their product)

my thoughts exactly im not a fan of the whole skimpy underage outfits but hey if GTA, COD Mortal combat, and all those other super violent games just gets a M rating and we move on why can't this? I mean its not like any kids were used as a reference for this(i hope) and its not like 'normal' customers will go around practicing real fatalities so why would this promote(i assume is one of the reasons) sexualization of real minors?

Japan has its double standards, too. Sexualizing young characters in Japan may be ok but on the other hand, some forms of violence are not. I know the JP versions of Evil Within, Metal Gear Solid V, parts of the Uncharted games, God of War 3 etc. all had some or all of the blood and gore censored in some way. You could equally say that the JP publishers catered to their audience as well. That said, I also think the name changes by Nintendo are pretty stupid.
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
The Indivisible prototype is insanely good. I backed it as soon as I finished it. It would be a travesty if this game never sees the light of day. I really hope that Lab Zero reaches their goal.

The campaign is active for 9 more days, so please help them out if you can.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/indivisible-rpg-from-the-creators-of-skullgirls

No, I don't have anything to do with Lab Zero or this project. I simply loved the prototype that much. It's an action RPG from the creators of Skullgirls, so, you know that the game will be beautifully animated and have a battle system with depth.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Lab Zero Games has put way too much damn effort into Indivisible for it to not happen. It's practically a slap to the face that Castlebloodstainvania, Not-Banjo-And-Kazooie, and Mighty #9 get as many millions as they did when we have a group of dedicated developers making something as inspired as they are.

Man, gamers don't deserve nice things.
NieR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Very much looking forward to owning and playing the new Nier game. Emil showing up in the game sounds interesting, wonder if he's immortal then. I'd like to see more of Grimoire Weiss if he's still alive.

I like the female protagonist's character design, looks somewhat like a female version of father Nier with the covered eye. I was initially only planning on buying a PS4 whenever Kingdom Hearts III finally comes out, but now I'll be getting it whenever Nier: Automata comes out.
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
According to Nielsen Ratings, Fallout 4 is one of the most anticipated games this 2015 holiday season:

Wow, look at Corpse Party: Blood Drive winning on the Vita!

That was certainly my most anticipated game of pretty much the whole year. I'm ashamed to say even more so than Fallout 4, and I'm a long time fan of all things Fallout. I even loved Fallout:Tactics..
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if Devil's third being on that poll says more about Nintendo or the poll. The game got ripped a new one, and is one of the poorest rated major releases of the year, if not the last few years, and its on a most anticipated list.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Anyway wasn't interested in XCX but it is still sad that Ninty forced that unnecessary change. Don't see how it was creepy, it's not even sexualized for an outfit but double standards yada yada. Sad but true.

You're being sarcastic... right? It shows underboobs. On a 13-year-old kid. I'm not sure what's creepier, that people actually like this kind of filth, or that some don't even see the sexualization in it.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
The rest of the world is just not ready for Japan. I doubt they ever will. Cool

As for NieR, I'm so glad PG is developing it. It looks great so far.

Nier wrote:
I was initially only planning on buying a PS4 whenever Kingdom Hearts III finally comes out, but now I'll be getting it whenever Nier: Automata comes out.

If you're a fan of Square Enix, the PS4 is the main console to own(2nd is PC).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I would've liked Bridget to win. I don't play any Guilty Gear, but I do know someone who does competitive yo-yoing, so it's pretty neat to see someone who uses an offstring yo-yo in combat, a type of yo-yo I almost never see in fiction.

As for Indivisible, I really would've liked to see a completely different art style. To me, it looks too much like Skullgirls, but I get the feeling Lab Zero doesn't have the resources to have another art team. I personally feel that, if they want Indivisible to be its own game, it should look artistically different too. (Unless Lab Zero wants Indivisible to evoke Skullgirls in their appearance or it shares a multiverse with Sullgirls.) That it looks too much like Skullgirls is the biggest turnoff to me. I like the artistic design for Skullgirls, but I really, really would've preferred Indivisible to have its own identity as an IP.

I do hope that they get the game finished in some way though. I also hope that in this finished product, the beginning is beginner-friendly enough. I read Mike Z's thought on the lack of healing, and it worries me a bit that he hadn't had much thought on post-battle recovery, especially if battles against even common enemies will be tough.

DTJB wrote:
If this is a legit edit on Nintendo's part, then it doesn't matter if the art is crass or just plain stupid, censorship is still censorship. You don't have to like a particular aspect of a work of art; if it's different than what the artist intended, it's not the artist's vision, it's someone else's altered version of it. Personally, I think an artist's vision and meaning should remain intact, even if the meaning behind the art doesn't amount to anything that's thought provoking, worthwhile, or good. It reflects what the artist personally wants, not what someone else wants it to be.

I feel like, even more so than with Fatal Frame, that outfit as it originally was would provoke some angry parents raising a media stink and damaging Nintendo's reputation. Nintendo is vulnerable to this sort of thing, as unlike Rockstar or Bethesda, Nintendo has a family-friendly image to it, so it continues to be a name parents trust. Losing that trust, at least as far as westerners with western sensibilities, could very well spell the end of the company.

I'd say Nintendo's only two options were to change that battle bikini or not localize Xenoblade Chronicles X at all. The last thing Nintendo of Europe wants, or Nintendo of America even more so, is to release a game the news is going to refer to as pedobait. And then every adult who plays Nintendo will be viewed as a pedophile.

CoreSignal wrote:
Japan has its double standards, too. Sexualizing young characters in Japan may be ok but on the other hand, some forms of violence are not. I know the JP versions of Evil Within, Metal Gear Solid V, parts of the Uncharted games, God of War 3 etc. all had some or all of the blood and gore censored in some way. You could equally say that the JP publishers catered to their audience as well. That said, I also think the name changes by Nintendo are pretty stupid.

There's also No More Heroes and its sequel, which has the strange case of it becoming censored for violence in the country it was made (and carried to the European version) but all the blood and gore kept unchanged for the American version.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I

I do hope that they get the game finished in some way though. I also hope that in this finished product, the beginning is beginner-friendly enough. I read Mike Z's thought on the lack of healing, and it worries me a bit that he hadn't had much thought on post-battle recovery, especially if battles against even common enemies will be tough.

The beta does have an post-battle healing at least. There's a special attack gauge that builds up when you inflict damage. When a battle is over any unused portion of the gauge is converted to HP. The tiger-shaman lady also has a full-party healing spell.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
If this is a legit edit on Nintendo's part, then it doesn't matter if the art is crass or just plain stupid, censorship is still censorship. You don't have to like a particular aspect of a work of art; if it's different than what the artist intended, it's not the artist's vision, it's someone else's altered version of it. Personally, I think an artist's vision and meaning should remain intact, even if the meaning behind the art doesn't amount to anything that's thought provoking, worthwhile, or good. It reflects what the artist personally wants, not what someone else wants it to be.

Ultimately Nintendo is putting out a product, not producing games as an outlet for their team of artists. Just because some of their artists might want to make hentai cg models doesn't mean that Nintendo is obligated to put out products to accommodate those perverse fantasies, and this case is no different. The artists were hired to make a product that can sell to its target market, and if Nintendo feels that changes need to be made in order to better accommodate that market, then the artist is already well-aware that the art they're creating is made for and owned by Nintendo, and is created to express the company's vision of the game for the market, not their own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5