• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Spinoff Film in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure I heard somewhere that Death Note TV was licensed for American distribution, what I didn't know was that it would be airing here next year. If so, excellent news.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd be happy if it were an L movie.

As for the show airing...it'd probably be too much for CN right?
I wonder who picked it up. I'm sure Viz would do a good job...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
subaru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
spinoff? how's that going to work?

it is very possible. remember reading from an article being released after the end of the death note manga in japan, the publisher has plan to launch a series of death note novels, which probably features brand new characters. As spoiler[Light died at the end of the manga series] so a spin off movie with new characters is very possible.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote
It's an L movie all right. Love to see what kind of mystery he'll have to solve, and without Light in the pictureas well. L seems to be very popular amongst fans in Japan, amazing for a spoiler[dead character.]
MDMAX980

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
http://anime.meetup.com/464/boards/view/viewthread?thread=2385125

This was announced on AnimeNewsService about a month ago, and according to the article above, they should announce the licencee anytime soon.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
SDnekojin wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
There was definitely nothing said in either the ANN article or the ICv2 article that would suggest the Death Note anime airing over here next year.

"and the Death Note TV series is expected to air next year in America."

Nothing, huh?

the ICv2 article is talking about Death Note airing in Japan As it was written Sept. 29, Just before it aired.

I was saying that neither of the articles presented conclusive evidence indicating that the Death Note anime would be airing in the US next year. What the ANN blurb said was much more like a knee-jerk comment, not based on any kind of factual information.

Adept_Rouge_Saiki wrote:
Hmm interesting. I cannot wait for Death Note to come to the USA. The anime is one of the best I have seen. All I hope is Viz does not get it. I hope Funi gets it.

Why wouldn't it go to Viz? Ever since they started publishing Shonen Jump over here, all of the anime that originated as Shonen Jump manga has been licensed by Viz. Death Note is pretty much a shoo-in for them.

Also, when Viz knows a series is going to be very popular, they put a lot of work into it, which is why we get quality dubs for Naruto (excellent dub) and Bleach (good dub).

EDIT: Well, I didn't notice the above post before I pressed "Submit", so I'll quote here what I found on Anime News Service:

Quote:
11-5-06 (5:34PM EDT)---- Death Note Anime Licensed For America
ANS has learned the Death Note TV animation has been officially licensed for release in the North American market in 2007. We'll leave the actual licensee to properly announce themselves at their preferred time and in their preferred manner. A few things have to come together before that can happen though. Look for some official word in the form of simultaneous / coordinated press releases anywhere from weeks at earliest to months at latest.

Still, nothing here is conclusive. It still looks like a rumor. And even if Viz or anyone else announces they have the license soon, that doesn't tell us anything about Death Note airing on TV over here.
Adept_Rouge_Saiki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I never said that Viz would not be interested in it. I knew they would be looking to pick Death Note. I really hope they don't cause I fear they will mess up the voices like they did with Bleach.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Adept_Rouge_Saiki wrote:
I never said that Viz would not be interested in it. I knew they would be looking to pick Death Note. I really hope they don't cause I fear they will mess up the voices like they did with Bleach.

Yeah, and I was basically saying that it's most likely going to go to Viz, no matter what.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Wait wait... there's a 13th volume of the manga....

Crap. Just when I think I'm out...

Also, I am confused by the spinoff. I've read all the chapters, well except for this epilouge volume it seems, and I have a problem. Spoilers. spoiler[Ok, how do we have an L spinoff if he died halfway through the manga and the movies? Unless you mean L as in Near who took the name back from Light. Or unless they have random tales of the original L before the Kira case.]

Then again, it seems like this Vol 13 is more like an extra features DVD than any epilouge or sequel which youn could build a movie off of.
http://www.akadotretail.com/product_info.php?products_id=16586
http://www.sasugabooks.com/product_info.php?products_id=38102

As for the ICv2 article proclaiming the Deathnote anime coming to America, I think it's just an assumption. They don't know who exactly is getting it, but it seems quite safe to assume that such a popular series will be brought over fairly soon. Then again, Bleach took some time, I guess, but popular Shonen Jump series seem to be coming over much faster now. Of course that Viz has taken control of most of them doesn't hurt. (*Sigh* Poor One Piece.)
zyphbear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I think someone needs to double check this story and re-translate it. When I ran it through yahoo's babelfish, it said "Schedule of 2008 release." The brief ANN story mentioned "produced for release in Japan Next year". And as of right now, this is still 2006, so "next year" would equate to 2007.

Can someone double-check this and verify the date?
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh drat, I probably won't have access to any cable networks anytime soon. But hope I'll get to see Death Note (before I grow old) sometime though. I want to see the anime rendition of the manga especially because the characters Light and L have so many...subtleties in the manga.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Adept_Rouge_Saiki wrote:

Huh? I think Bleach has one of the best dubs to ever be given to a Shonen Jump property.

Also, the first Death Note novel (as mentioned above) has already come out. It's an L novel, where he works with Naomi Misora, narrated by Mello. It's a prequel obviously, much like how the movie would obviously work.
Kurosaki_Ichigo_1000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
So...VIZ has every Shounen Jump anime from recently, eh..?
(These count as dubs, not actual DVD releases)
Black Cat: FUNimation
Beet the Vandal Buster: Illumitoon
BoBobobo-bobo-bobo: ...no idea, just know it isn't VIZ...
Well...those are all recent dubs...I think Geneon got the rights to it, they are very quick when it comes to dubbing (Hellsing Ultimate, Paprika) , and they seem to dub Madhouse produced animes...
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Kurosaki_Ichigo_1000 wrote:
So...VIZ has every Shounen Jump anime from recently, eh..?
(These count as dubs, not actual DVD releases)
Black Cat: FUNimation
Beet the Vandal Buster: Illumitoon
BoBobobo-bobo-bobo: ...no idea, just know it isn't VIZ...
Well...those are all recent dubs...I think Geneon got the rights to it, they are very quick when it comes to dubbing (Hellsing Ultimate, Paprika) , and they seem to dub Madhouse produced animes...

I was incorrect when I said "all", but Viz has the majority, and arguably the most important ones.
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
And who exactly is deciding which are the "important" anime titles for the season, Josh?

-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3