• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haruchika – Haruta & Chika (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
The hearing aid stuff didn't interest me much though but what I find most amusing is Chika and Serizawa's relationship in the episode.

Hearing aids is a topic I have not seen in anime too much, especially in the case that the person is so young.

Honestly some of my favourite parts is how the show has tackled some topics that are a bit rare for anime to do. Homosexuality without it played in a fanservice way. Childhood friends that actually are just friends. Adoption, where all three members of the family are a different race, and the difficulty of facing birth family. Going through a war, PTSD. And now a high school girl who has to wear a hearing aid, creating a sad story since she likes music so much.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The Black Lagoon manga is still coming out. Cool At one point Dutch makes reference to the battle of Keh Sanh as if he was there. That means he should be 65 or 70 now. Not impossible for a active individual.

And Conan should be pushing 30 by now.

Also, I didn't mean that a person couldn't live that long and stay fit (although have you seen Schwarzenegger lately?), but that in Dutch's line of work he's unlikely to survive to retire from it.

Regarding this episode, I have never in my life been able to make those cups & string things work right (what little sound came through was always garbled), and their party-line set up is even more doubtful. If her hearing was already impaired, that's not going to help her. What would help in a pinch is to cut the bottom off the cup and hold the small end to her ear. Using the bell of the clarinet would look classier though.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Hmm, an episode about radio and frequency with a bit of geological themes in it. I'm not sure what to think of this week's episode except that they are really making their club become relevant. The case about the geology club leader seemed somewhat interesting to me.

The comedy felt a bit more refreshing imo this episode though.

I'm hoping their club grows more popular with more budget.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:07 am Reply with quote
"gut like a fish" Don't let him forget that line.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Not sure if intentional, but I found the mystery really easy to figure out from the vague story. It was easy to guess spoiler[it was a cult, and that he was poisoning the animals (men) while not the birds (women)]. The characters were saying how he was spoiler[horrible when he attacked in the story, but I was like "he is trying to stop her from being poisoned"].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
She apparently knew who the others were to find out they'd all died of the same "disease." Seems like even if that didn't raise a red flag to the authorities, her investigations could have suggested a motive. Or rather, from a narrative pov, it should have. It's very unsatisfying to have all these murders without even a guess as to the reason. Makes the whole episode seem kind of pointless.

Did we actually get introduced to the tympani boy in the last ep? I knew he was coming aboard, but since I don't remember that, it felt like he just appeared. I don't even know his name. (Edit: Jesus, I'm dense, it wasn't until this week I even associated him with DJ boy. ::headdesk:Smile

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
This show's mystery has not sold well for me at all for the season. Hope the next episode will improve.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

That is BS, that she cannot spoiler[be a teacher because she has tattoos and they got found out]. Trying to figure out how a spoiler[tattoo might be enough to make her leave], I am going to guess that her spoiler[tattoo implies past gang ties (perhaps yakuza)], but even so I don't think that is a good enough reason. It is something I have been considering recently with my recent weight loss was spoiler[getting a geek related tattoo on my back], and this just hits a bit funny. I am not quite blaming this show, I bet it is totally a cultural thing with Japan.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I bet it is totally a cultural thing with Japan.
Yup. Justin wrote about this a couple of weeks ago.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:36 am Reply with quote
The tattoo thing is an actual thing in Japan. My best friend was refused from staying in a capsule hotel because of his tattoos. As you surmised, tattoos in Japan are associated with the yakuza and many places in Japan can and will refuse serving people that have them. So, it's highly likely that having tattoos will also bar people from being hired as teachers.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:37 am Reply with quote
I get that, but it was on her back and never visible to the students (at least those who weren't x-raying her clothes), so even in Japan it kind of seems like an over-reaction, especially if they convinced the girl not to post the pics.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12:

So yeah. this show is over...and overall I wasn't really impressed including the finale.

Speaking of which, the finale had everyone come together and I did think it was neat that they performed in front of the crowd after all their hard work with sensei. But all in all, I thought the show was rather boring. Wasn't a bad show but just wasn't really into it. Rating this as so-so. Might get into the novels to see what I'm missing later this year.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I am not too big of a fan that pretty much the middle of the episode was their performance done over the credits of the series. But, I quite like where it left on, that they got bronze, that they were frustrated over it, and Chika was able to bring up everyone's spirits but when away from people was also very frustrated. And finally finishing on a small scene of making us think she would be declared next captain, building up suspense, and then show that it was logically Maren. This might not have been the way to finish many series, but it worked here as a way of saying just move forward.

Everything just moved forward, even past the little mystery of their teacher, and that we don't get much insight to his thoughts, it kind of works with the mystery the show does.

Was this show good? Not entirely. I think the parts that were interesting were little bits and pieces that work as topics maybe not widely discussed. A bit uneven, but I could stand to watch an anime that included a guy who had a crush on his male teacher and it was never played up as a joke or a fetish. PTSD, hearing loss or loss of sight, birth family when having an adopted family, etc. None of them really blew it away, there was not a lot of focus on many of these to give them impact, and cramped into the episodes probably caused problems over the source material. P.A. Works has garnered a bit of a reputation of being a little uneven (except one recent project, Shirobako), and I think this was kind of line with it.

I would give a rating of Decent (6/10), not exactly good, but I did not lose my time, and there were parts in this that I enjoyed. For one also kind of took this long to mention it in this post, but the male and female childhood friends are really just that, friends, and it is kind of refreshing. I would say that as a point, this is somewhat refreshing, but probably looks a little down when being compared to the more music focused Hibike Euphonium, or a mystery anime that developed its characters a little better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3