• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ERASED (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
I think I'll just focus my commentary on the episode's weirdest problem: This sudden turn to super-insightful psychological warfare by Satoru.

That was my biggest problem as well. He went from being a guy who didn't seem to have the first insight into human behavior to channeling Dr. Phil.

So they hired a stunt team to set up an airbag outside the hospital (I'm sure no one noticed that going on) and hung around for the payoff whenever it might happen? Seems like it would have been a lot easier to just have two phones on him. Hand one over, leave the other line open. Smile

Oh, and Yashiro knows he's got that finger tapping tic? Is this something he deliberately affected to enhance his evil villain persona in his own mind, the the Joker practicing his laugh in front of the mirror?

Ok, this episode was a vast improvement, and overall the series wasn't bad. I really did enjoy it, I'm just disappointed.
LordMaou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Final Episode
So it wasn't a bad change, was still a change from the manga but had a similar premise at the end just with a different locations.

Some stuff from the manga about Yashiro's ending. spoiler[ Yashiro targetting Kumi happens out at a camp that he sponsors with different traps he places as he figures out that Kenya and Satoru are out to stop them so sets up some fake traps here and there and a simple one they would overlook to get Kumi in danger. While setting up the trap for Satoru on a wood plank suspension bridge above some water, Satoru arrives 15minutes early and catches him while he was still walking to the other side of the bridge to set the bomb on the other side too. Satoru and Yashiro chat about things in a similar-esque fashion about how Satoru has been through these lives multiple times been to 2005 twice and the 5th grade three times. Yashiro believes him completely. The same thing with wanting to die as well happens on the bridge and he ignites the gasoline bomb in his hand to blow up the bridge sending Yashiro and Satoru down to the water, but Kenya and the reporter guy pull up in the boat right away and pull both Yashiro and Satoru out of the water.]

One thing about Airi that was left out of the anime that explains the ending a bit with her. spoiler[ Airi had a dream to be a photographer. Which is why she was taking all those pictures and Satoru was holding his hands like that to make a picture at the end was something Airi had showed him one time when Airi, Kumi, and him were talking at the hospital.]

Last edited by LordMaou on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
^ Well if that's what they had to work with, I'd say they certainly pulled it out of the fire, with only a few singe marks in the process. That sounds even more ridiculous than what we got.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

So thoughts of the end. Through most of the episode I was waiting for Airi, she was meant to be such an important character as relation to him as his mother and Kayo that she needed some time. I am a little disappointed that it happened at the very end, but I guess it is not too bad with the implication of being together with her now being 20 or so. How old would we even count him? We know he travelled back 18 years, so that time he lost in that coma would not be that different in that regard. While to the general public they could see him as the mind of an 11 year old who then got6 or so years afterwards. Maybe we should not even judge that much on it, age, maturity and compatibility can be a case by case thing.

Yes the evil monologue was unneeded, was a bit hammy, and I don't think was delivered quite right. But I did like the themes, I think that there was a reasonable explanation that he held off killing him and it had an effect on him. I like how the final act was needed to trust in those around him for the final moment. I liked the imagery of the killer standing up to throw himself off as a murder suicide as a sort of salvation moment for him, before realising that it was not and we saw his own thread cut.

Really I like some of the closing off personal interactions, it is something this show did very well, and it was bringing these characters who were children forward. Talking about the series as a whole, the best moments were the childhood ones with a focus on those with Kayo. Some awful things can happen in life, but reaching out to help someone and maybe some small things that may make you a hero, that is possibly something anyone could do if they took the right steps.

Going further on talking about this show as a whole, I think many of us will agree that the beginning was fantastic, and was so much so that I was reminded of another show that could start off good before becoming a total train wreck (Terror in Resonance). I don't think Erased became a total train wreck, it could have been better, but it had some elements I will say definitely were worth watching, there was some good cinematography alone. As a small shout out to a couple things I will reference the YouTuber Mother's Basement who did an analysis on an episode 2 scene which others may have watched already, and that he recently did another video this time on the reveal in Episode 10. It might not reveal much you would not already know, but bring to mind and explain that there was reasons behind how things played out through the show.

Giving a rating, an almost perfect in certain areas, yet some failings in others where it just did not seem to fit properly. I say it was Very good (8/10), it was a show that you could not miss if you were watching this season. Also last mention that I think quite well of the opening song, I would not go so far as to say earworm, but I like it, and I think the ED even more.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
I really have to break the episode into two halves; the roof scene, and the epilogue.

The roof scene, as well as the second half of last week's episode, I didn't care for. I can understand making changes to fit, but they should have truncated some of the slower parts earlier, to include more of the ending, instead of having to do it the way they did.

The epilogue, however, I actually preferred to the manga. I'd been looking forward to seeing the epilogue animated, and I actually like this much better. In the manga spoiler[it's more of a "clip show" version of "where are they now," and neither of the other girls are shown (though it can be inferred that Aya and his friend got married).]. I very much prefer the anime, where he actually gets to reunite with his friends.

And, as amusement, this literally just came over my twitter feed while I was typing it, and strangely fits with this, so I'll share it here: link
bin1127

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
The first reaction to the very last scene was spoiler["damn now they can finally be together" and then you remind yourself that nothing has really changed in terms of the age gap. How old is Airi? like 19 cause she's still living at home. If the gap is only 10 years it still seems fine, not terrible. ]

The resolution in this episode seems functionally acceptable given that there was no time left. There is no time for Yashiro to go on a rampage and Satoru gets to catch him once more in the act. This psychological explanation does give a reason as to why he didn't just kill Satoru during the coma. spoiler[What i dont understand is how Yashiro is revealed to view himself as one of those with a thread of salvation and it disappears after the final encounter. I do'nt remember the story giving any tragic background to him. He's just a psychopath even early on. Not like he was abused or suffered in anyway so why does he need salvation? ]

I'm with DuskyPredator on the ending theme. Yuki Kajiura came up with a really poignant and moving song that to me fits the mood of the show. The vocals were a bit scratchy like they were a flashback and everything is a bit fuzzy. Not sure if that's an effect post mix or the singer just sings like that. They could've easily put this song in steins;gate and it would fit perfectly as well.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
bin1127 wrote:
The first reaction to the very last scene was spoiler["damn now they can finally be together" and then you remind yourself that nothing has really changed in terms of the age gap. How old is Airi? like 19 cause she's still living at home. If the gap is only 10 years it still seems fine, not terrible. ]

Airi was 17 when Satoru was 29. Marriable age is 16 in Japan and the culture has a history with large age gaps so there's little issue with them being together.
LordMaou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
bin1127 wrote:

Airi was 17 when Satoru was 29. Marriable age is 16 in Japan and the culture has a history with large age gaps so there's little issue with them being together.

Anime starts at 2006 26 days before the World Cup, this is when Airi was 17 and Satoru was 29. At the end of the Anime it announces that there are two weeks till the 2010 Olympics. So they should be around 4 years older than they were in the beginning of the series putting Airi at 21 and Satoru at 33.

In the Anime though for Airi, Satoru is just some stranger she just met under the bridge. While yes in the manga they meet there as well in the next to last chapter in the same fashion the build up before it is that they have met before. Since Kumi is Airi's little sister they had met a few times at the hospital and then knew of each other. In the anime timeline though Satoru went straight back to manga drawing didn't go work for the pizza place any so doesn't meet with her and they left out that Kumi is Airi's sister and had removed Airi from the Kumi bits and replaced Airi with Yashiro. So sure he could start working on building the relationship up from there right under the bridge.

In the manga Kumi and Satoru continue to stay friends throughout all the years, during the camp it's hinted that she has a slight thing for Satoru. So a lot of opportunities potentially to see Airi. They even have their own secret handshake:

[EDIT: Image removed. Please don't post or link to scanlations or fansubs. Thanks. -TK]

Edit: Hmm can't spoil out an image. Thought it might of worked but didn't. Could still see the image.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
You can't put images in spoiler tags, no. You'd have to just post the url.

They might have met as strangers again but since Satoru remembers her he'll surely make the effort to get closer to her. I liked how he was about to leave until the Revival Butterfly made him stay. Whatever greater power that put him through everything was giving him a chance at happiness in the end.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, every comment I had has already been mentioned. However, I do wonder if it's OK for a series that revolves around a supernatural ability to conclude without revealing the origin of the ability. I mean, that kinda comes off as bad writing imo.

Don't really follow the review threads, so Idk if this has already been addressed.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, the story is told from Satoru's POV of naturally they can't explain something outside his comprehension.

There are mysteries in this world that will never be solved. I wouldn't call it bad writing, just the way things are.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
...but since Satoru remembers her...

That was what was bugging me about the epilogue, that I couldn't figure out what was. In the manga spoiler[he states that his memories of the original timeline were fading, and that soon he wouldn't be able to remember any of it]. It bugged me that they left that out.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
just the way things are.

I just have difficulty accepting that sort of reasoning as I could never imagine doing something like that in something I write; would feel like a cop out. But, its fine I suppose. Just glad my ship sailed into the sunset! Smile I guess ERASED was an alright series after all.
bin1127

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Well, every comment I had has already been mentioned. However, I do wonder if it's OK for a series that revolves around a supernatural ability to conclude without revealing the origin of the ability. I mean, that kinda comes off as bad writing imo.

Don't really follow the review threads, so Idk if this has already been addressed.

Steins;gate didn't really address the origins of Rintaro's ability iirc. Unless the game expanded on that. Maybe the author didn't think he could come up with a watertight theory on how it all developed. In the end Satoru lost his powers so it seems it must have been based on trauma, guilt, or sense of justice.

I also want to know why butterflies that are associated with time travel must be blue. Life is Strange has blue butterfly as with a book in the trilogy by Lynn Murphy titled The Blue Butterly. The Butterfly effect movie didn't seem to have a blue butterfly so perhaps it's just a recent association with time?
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Given that he stated that he never had another Revival after he woke up, it seemed obvious to me that this was the "correct" timeline, and that the Revivals existed so that he'd be in the correct position to fix everything.

Every Revival up through the one we saw with the truck in the first episode was to teach Satoru how to use the ability and what to do.

The Revival with the little girl wasn't to save the little girl, it was so his mother would notice, purposefully leading to her death (which would trigger the big Revival).

Obviously, we know the purpose of the big Revival, which was to save the three and to force the culprit to reveal himself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14