• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Myriad Colors Phantom World (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:07 am Reply with quote
I do want to say some these trippy like aspects such as people turning into cats here, or past episodes such as dream family and bear kingdom are fun, but it kind of feels in need of some focus of a main story. I think some of the aspects I took most attention of in the episode are things like how Haruhiko indeed shows an attraction to Reina, and Mai seems to be showing increasing interest in him. I feel a little torn in a way on that, Reina is a cool character and there is not much to dislike the character so I can be on team Reina. But Mai is a rare upperclassman girl with interest in a younger guy, and that is kind of rare so it has my interest too.

We really need some plot movement since there is not a lot I can say on it. I like Ruru as usual though.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
We really need some plot movement since there is not a lot I can say on it. I like Ruru as usual though.

We don't have a word on any change of status for this bottom-of-the-barrel "loser" team which happened to save the whole school teachers and all. Of course that would require some plot that we don't seem to be getting.

Ruru has a pretty naughty side to her. She must be some sort of manifestation of Haruhiko id.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, if I've learned anything from novel to anime adaptations, it's "main plot will appear in final three or two episodes"..... Rolling Eyes

While I'm okay with what the show is right now (goofy fun you don't need to think hard about), some drama would be good....
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, like KyoAni's adaptation of Amagi Brilliant Park, the show is only doing one novel with a lot of original content thrown in the stretch it out. Unlike Amagi they can't take events from later novels since there's only 2 at the moment and the 2nd one takes place years later when Haruhiko isn't in high school.

So basically most of it is just filler.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 preview for those interested.

Chiibi wrote:

While I'm okay with what the show is right now (goofy fun you don't need to think hard about), some drama would be good....

I want to remain hopeful but there's been no hints of any true big bad. And watching the trailer doesn't help with my suspicions that this will be a phantom-of-the-week show till the end. Well, I hope the fanservice next episode will be enough to keep me entertained.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

At this rate, I think the show isn't really trying at all anymore except for the comedy and gimmicky style of the premise. This week, we got fan service and an onsen theme episode but with a twist. The twist is that Phantoms have taken over the onsen and their boss is a perverted Monkey.

Yeah....lol. Koito was more funnier to watch than usual though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Is it odd to think that this was the best episode so far? It was actually a bit funny and Haruhiko scored some points with Mai. I think I'm jumping ship. Mai is the best girl now.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I guess monkeys have an affinity for Mayonnaise.

Well, other than the obligatory "beach/onsen" episode fanservice, I had a good couple of laughs this episode. A lot of it had to do with how dumb some of the things were. It was nice to see Haruhiko be of more use instead of his usual encyclopedia self. I guess my ReinaxHaruhiko ship is being shipwrecked since the show heavily supports the MaixHaruhiko ship. Well, she does have nice assets so it's not too big of an issue.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was.........

stupid. Anime hyper

Quote:
I guess my ReinaxHaruhiko ship is being shipwrecked since the show heavily supports the MaixHaruhiko ship.

I don't think Haruhiko will end up with anyone in this adaptation.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
This episode had copious amounts of school swimsuits so it gets an automatic A+ from me!
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
episode eight

What's with that ending? Haruhiko's friends really just abandon him to get sexually abused by a giant monkey in the sky? What!?

Even without the ending, it's still a pretty stupid episode even by the show's own standards. If they're going to do sexy, then they could have used better swimsuits. If they're not going to do sexy, then they could have bothered to be a little clever - it didn't even have the fun ideas that the last few episodes have had.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
This kind of reminded me of Beyond the Boundary's supposed fanservice episode that was more comedy than anything. Repeated failed attempts against a joke like tough enemy that wears down their psyche as the girls have to try and seduce it.

I like this gif.

Also I thought the octopus thing would be kraken, not supposedly Cthulhu. He did not even seem to have a grasp of the lore, not that I think it is necessary with how their powers work.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
then they could have used better swimsuits.

You fool! You don't understand the simple elegance of a blue one piece!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I think I'm jumping ship. Mai is the best girl now.

I think I'm just jumping ship.

Eight episodes in, some glimmer of a storyline ought to be emerging, but now that all the girls have been backstoried, it's clear they've got nothing else. I'll give them a point for originality, in that I can't say I've ever seen a hot springs episode like this, but they lose a point for the licking. I'd give them another point for an apparently bisexual monkey, but I'd have to subtract one for the gay stereotypes. Which leaves me at zero.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Also I thought the octopus thing would be kraken, not supposedly Cthulhu. He did not even seem to have a grasp of the lore, not that I think it is necessary with how their powers work.

As a Lovecraft fan, this irked me a little as well. To be fair, though, Cthulhu's lore isn't exactly succinct. Also, Chibithulhu was probably the best part of the episode even with this nitpick.

Vaisaga wrote:
You fool! You don't understand the simple elegance of a blue one piece!

I'll fess up and admit I'm not huge on bright red bottoms, either. Though, even given the idea of "simple elegance" I think they could have pulled it off better. I was generally underwhelmed with the execution on this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9