• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Myriad Colors Phantom World (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:

As a Lovecraft fan, this irked me a little as well. To be fair, though, Cthulhu's lore isn't exactly succinct. Also, Chibithulhu was probably the best part of the episode even with this nitpick..

At first it irked me as well but upon further thinking, I think it fits Haruhiko's summoning abilities. It's representative of his "skill" or whatever right now. It's consistent if you consider how the puppy-wolf thing looks.

And Lovecraft never really got into details about his cosmic horrors from what I remember what I read. They're just monsters that drive people insane/mad when they witness them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
And Lovecraft never really got into details about his cosmic horrors from what I remember what I read. They're just monsters that drive people insane/mad when they witness them.

I have read The Call of Cthulhu, and from what I know in particular from the story is that it is big, real big, an octopus is not quite a good description rather dragon features along with the tentacles. And I think the deal is that he is supposed to be dead, but has an existence that means the death puts it closer to sleeping, and his dreams or mind is enough to influence others. I don't think there is any connection at all the Necronomicon which is a collection of forbidden knowledge, not a seal for things.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote
If I could find the right person online, I would ask them to write a note(an English version for what it says and the Japanese version) to KyoAni for permission to fan translate the light novels. Then, I would send it to KyoAni.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

At this rate, I don't care much about the storytelling or whatever it is anymore. Just more about the show's gimmick since Phantom World seems to play around with itself every damn episode.

We got some acting in shinobi style complete without outfits and swords fighting. Somehow, Koito gets involved as well but mostly because she senses something related to Phantoms. The acting is laughable for Mai's role...lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
episode nine

I regret thinking the last episode was boring and missed the mark, now. Clearly, I should have saved this thoughts for this episode. I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't continue to one-up itself in this department. Now that all the characters backstories are done, the story should probably have returned to the apparent overarching story involving the company responsible for the whole phantom phenomenon in the first place. Instead we're getting what might as well be filler.

As expected, absolutely nothing was made out of poor Haruhiko's abduction by a horny monkey.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Meh.....my feelings are the same as everyone else's. >_>

I hope the remaining few episodes will be more interesting....but who knows.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
"She doesn't even go here."
I don't know why that Mean Girls quote popped into my head in relation to the drama girl, but it humoured me.

Although plot not moving, I find myself enjoying Ruru more with each episode how she can be a part of sight gags, like when they were running she too was running in an exaggerated way in the air.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:31 am Reply with quote
I had a hard time trying to watch this episode because it was just so boring. I only made it through because I left it running in the background while I was gaming. I caught glimpses but understood everything that was going on. Still crossing my fingers and hoping there's more to the show than what we've seen but it's just feigned optimism at this point.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

LOL, oh wow. They actually went ahead and did it. I mean, there was a feeling that I expected about Ruru becoming a real girl but they actually made her into one for the duration of the episode.

Comedy wise, eh...it was weird seeing her going by the name of Natsuno and that story was really fake. The girls looked cute in their yutaka though, even Koito.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Uhhh. . . don't know how to summarize my feelings toward the episode. It was alright? I don't care for Ruru and it was good to finally have her be useful but the episode itself felt formulaic. From the whole Phantom situation to the conclusion, it was just boring forced comedic melodrama. They could have skipped the whole faked death scene and I would have liked the episode a lot more. But the whole crying scene and Ruru actually being alive just killed the episode for me.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I kind of expected that this episode would happen. It was okish. Ruru forgetting that she can't fly and jumping out of the window was funny.

P.S. CAT BALLS
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
That was very cute and fun to watch.

I liked the witch's design; she was so colorful. And Ruru....lol, literally naming herself "ramune of summer"....she's the epitome of what the Japanese call 単純

A ditz....but still a likable one.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
episode ten

The episode was cute and all, but I was kind of hoping that Ruru was actually dead so that there'd be some actual movement in the story. Also, they managed to make a Ruru episode without actually giving us any more backstory or insight regarding the character.

The Phantom Witch had a pretty neat design and the idea of a witch causing problems inadvertently while granting wishes seems like it'd be amusing, which makes me sad she's probably a one-off.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Well I like Ruru, so I liked the episode. My favourite parts would probably be Ruru forgetting she could not fly.

A bit of misplaced melodrama, which I think in general has just showed that the show is not quite what I hoped it would be. Not really any interesting animation in this episode either.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Well, this was an episode I enjoyed a lot. The lack of Ruru was a huge plus. We get some insight to Haruhiko's character and he finally feels like a part of the show instead of a walking encyclopedia or the butt of the jokes. I found that they handle this nicely -- especially the scene where he reverted back to normal -- just a reversion and nothing more like the gorilla episode's ending.

I am a little disappointed that the other girls (excluding Ruru) didn't have much of a role in this week's episode but I welcome any Mai centric episodes. It was a good watch, nothing for me to nitpick or felt bothered by that detracted from my enjoyment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9