• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Myriad Colors Phantom World (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Ruru's also supposed to be funny, though, but she's just obnoxious. I think the only joke I've laughed at was when she said her whole name, and that was a weak joke.

This episode was incredibly stupid. If they wanted to do a memory transfer thing, couldn't they have used some magic technique rather than mumbo jumbo faux science? I'm losing patience with this show.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Personally I like Ruru well enough and don't have the issues everyone else seems to be having with her.

Like I said before, I rewatched Rayearth fairly recently so how annoying Primera was is fresh in my mind (kept ruining all the great Hikaru/Lantis moments, damn it!). Ruru is nowhere near as bad as she was.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

This week's episode was better than I had expected.

I didn't think it was that funny though with the whole fake family gimmick involving Reina. But for what's worth, it had this fun fuzzy feeling about it. Also, headphone girl is still relevant in this show. And we find out why Reina likes Mai so much because of the sister resemblance. Cute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Well that was a better episode than last week. Reina's family circumstances aren't very original, but the episode did its job of developing Reina's character.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
What a great episode!

Reina is my favorite of the girls but that's not what it made it the best of the four; it was very visually interesting, a little foreboding, and then touching at the end. All the choices the animation staff made fit so well. I especially liked how the characters' looks changed when they entered the house so they blended in with the more 'sketchy' style, like a child's picture book. I seriously love visual touches like that.

Reina herself was just the cutest thing. I was hoping that spoiler[Haruhiko would kiss her] to snap her out of it. Anime hyper Oh well.

I finally feel like I'm watching a KyoAni show. I hope the other episodes are more like this.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Yes, a much better episode. It appears Haruhiko has raised some promising flags too.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
While I did enjoy the episode a lot -- most of it due to best girl getting some focus -- I feel that it could have been a bit better if they actually showed more of the tension between Reina and her parents (and actual depictions of the parents). The whole camera/monitoring scene worked well but I just wanted a bit more. It didn't really give me the impression that they were bad parents but just overly protective due to their strictness. Even Reina recognizes this so I don't think I really understood her problem. Oh well, the episode gave me more than enough reason to stick around. One last thing, I can't help but feel that things progress a bit slow (since the whole crew hasn't fully united yet) but is this suppose to be 12-3 or 24-26 episode show?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad episode, but as harshly as the parents were presented (by lack of actually presenting them), their sudden turnaround seemed as fantastic as the phantom parents. Just one little talking to, and they let her join the club they hate and go from barricading themselves behind iron gates to throwing said gates open to the world and greeting her on the steps when she gets home. Happily ever after. :/

Speaking of steps, what were the bits of broken stone on the steps that resembled the monoliths in her fantasy world? It seemed like they were supposed to symbolize those monolithic parents being broken down, but aside from that, what were they doing there? Wouldn't someone sweep them away?
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
episode four

Ruru finally crossed the line from being stupid to being dangerously stupid. Somehow I knew it wasn't Mai's opportunity to save the day, though. It was a mental challenge and those don't seem to be her strong point.

I'm wondering if all problems in this show will be resolved via main character abuse. It seems to be a running thread. Not a complaint though. In particular, the main character coming up with a solution to his problem on the toilet was more amusing than it ought to have been. In anime, too, this seems to be were the best thinking is done.

Also, I really liked how Reina's family situation was portrayed. It evoked a lot of ideas all at once, and quite effectively: the stark transition between her life away from home and within it, the way her home life was both a prison for her and something that kept others away, and a cold, impersonal family relationship.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
All the choices the animation staff made fit so well. I especially liked how the characters' looks changed when they entered the house so they blended in with the more 'sketchy' style, like a child's picture book. I seriously love visual touches like that.

I liked that too, it was a cool detail that when they got influenced that not only did they get the rabbit ears but their colouring matched that of the world. I think it really sold the idea of them being spirited away and losing track of themselves in the fantasy.

My opinion on how her parents allowed it, I like to believe she simply sat down and apposed to her more shy self, she confidently told them what she was doing and that she wants to continue. As much as we saw them as a force being overly protective of her, I like the idea that any good parent should respect their child when they are passionate about something and honest. Although apparently from before her sister left, they were probably worried that she would turn into some delinquent like they thought her sister was. She is not getting motorbikes, and as far as their sensibilities might be on phantoms, they might see that she helps people with them.

I like to think of the whole phantom and in turn powers thing as that sort of turn of a generation thing. Like how older parents may not think well of computers or the internet, but they are an integral part of current generation in many places around the world, they need to accept that it is something kids need to be a part of. I remember not having internet all through High School (up to 07), my parents thought it unnecessary but I had to get it afterwards when it would be required for university.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
is this suppose to be 12-3 or 24-26 episode show?

13 episodes + 1 OVA (unaired on TV).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

I knew it! That bear is alive in a way!

Eh, Koito is...a strange character. I originally kinda liked her but now not sure anymore. Her characterization didn't impress me much after this week's episode. I think Kurumi might be next to get her own episode?

Action was okay. For some reason, that Phantom looks familiar.. for some reason. Koito and her blush though:
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Kurumi finally gets screentime. Anime hyper Well, she's pretty freaking cute. I wonder how old she is though. No way could I buy that she's in high school without skipping some grades because she acts like an elementary school kid, on top of looking like one.

Lol at Ruru using a public phone. Anime hyper

WHAAAAAT no ReixHaru shiptease in this ep!? THERE SHOULD BE ONE IN EVERY EP. Buu buu, KyoAni.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I wonder how old she is though. No way could I buy that she's in high school without skipping some grades because she acts like an elementary school kid, on top of looking like one.
She did say that she was in fourth grade, and it has been established that their school has elementary and junior high divisions.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
I wonder how old she is though. No way could I buy that she's in high school without skipping some grades because she acts like an elementary school kid, on top of looking like one.
She did say that she was in fourth grade, and it has been established that their school has elementary and junior high divisions.

Oh, thanks. I missed that info somehow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9