• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bancho Rengo

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote
While this title is not in the encyclopedia, I have had the opportunity to finish it since I started it back in Japan but never got the chance since coming back here.

spoiler[Azuma is the "Bancho" of his school (meaning the strongest person in his school), and he fights for the thrill of the fight. Shuichi is his buddy, but it is made obvious that he uses the position of Azuma to put himself above others. They are approached by Doumoto, a very small and skinny yet cunning and skillful fighter. They form the "Zengakukai", comprised of only the three of them at first, with the ultimate goal being taking over ALL the middle and high schools of Japan.]

spoiler[Azuma puts his soul into his fighting, and at the end of their first battle against Kamiyama of "Sanchu", who only cares about money and where it gets you, Kamiyama's right hand man Minamoto is inspired by Azuma and Zengakukai's mission. After Kamiyama gets arrested (later escapes to Ikebukuro with the power of money), Minamoto is the head of Sanchu, and joins Zengagkukai in their mission. ]

spoiler[After some strategic and premature moves against the "Kazusa-Rengou" (Kazusa Alliance), Zengagkukai loses almost all of it's troops, and Minamoto ends up hospitalized after an ambush. Tachibana (Minamoto's right hand man from Sanchu) brings some of the Sanchu people back, and Azuma, Doumoto, Shuichi, Tachibana and the remains of Zengakukai carefully plan out how they will take out the 1000 soldier army of Kazusa-Rengou. After some alliances with exiled Kazusa groups and ambushes of their bases, Zengakukai is able to defeat and absorb Kazusa-Rengou to their cause.]

spoiler[The last battle featured in this manga deals with Zengakukai meeting an old enemy, Kamiyama in Ikebukuro. In this town, he is known as "God" and imfamous for his loaning of money and off the wall interest rates. He and another key figure in Ikebukuro known as Basilisk, whose art of fighting is brain-washing, run the east side of Ikebukuro, while the man known as "Taco" run the west side. Taco and Zengakukai join forces after some inspiring rap by Shuichi in Taco's club, and the last battle ensues on the roof of a fifteen story building in the metropolis. The fight ends when Kamiyama falls off the roof, but his body is never found, and his whereabouts remain forever unknown.]

spoiler[After that, we fast forward to two years later, where Zengakukai has achieved their ultimate goal: complete domination. Zengakukai is still around, but most of the senior members have retired, including Azuma, Shuichi and Doumoto. Doumoto has a new plan for Azuma: to get into Tokyo University and change Japanese politics. Azuma agrees, and Shuichi tags along to stick with his brother in soul.]

My thoughts on this manga are mostly on the positive side. Drawn by Abe Shuji, author of Elite Yankee Saburo, and I feel that the story delivered on character development and plot. I also think that the series was ended at a good time in the storyline, seeing as spoiler[their domination of the 5048 schools in Japan and whatever regions runs the course of three years.] I don't think it will garner a license to America anytime soon, but I would recommend it to anybody that could use a good shonen fighting title once in a while besides Naruto. (And who knows Japanese). My hopes also are that sometime in the near future that this title finds itself in the encyclopedia as well.

fighterholic
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1