• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's Wrong With Fan Translations?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Honorifics, once you learned what they means and all the subtle cultural stuff behind them, add a lot to the relationships between characters and how you perceive them.

If you know what they mean, why do you need them in the subtitles as well as the audio? If you know what it means, shouldn't you know what it means if you were to hear it even without reading it?

yuna49 wrote:
I'd prefer the subtitles to match the dialogue in these cases.

I agree. Honorifics are one thing, but actually swapping what is said for something else in the subs is entirely different. I wouldn't care in a dub if they switched to a first name so that spoken english actually sounds like something a native english speaker would say, but a subtitle should be telling you what the person said in japanese. Not what a native english speaker would choose in a similar situation.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Ignoring honourifics completely is a bad thing, since they do have meaning - even often in western settings if the writer is Japanese.

If by "ignoring" you mean not in the subtitles, then I disagree.

I'm on the fence over whether they should be included in subtitles or not, but I mean literally ignoring, as in pretending they don't exist and not taking them into account in the translation at all.
What really does bug me is when a different name is in the subtitles to what is actually said (i.e. surname in the dialog and forename in the subs, especially when the forename has never even come up in the script at all)

Quote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Can you cite specific examples?
I know he gave at least one which was Thorn Bind Hostage being wrong in Log Horizon.

I was providing an example myself. My quote tags were slightly broken.

Touma wrote:
Were those worse than the subs that Sentai used on the DVD?
Those were pretty bad, with a lot of grammar errors and quite a few things that were probably just typos but were rather distracting, such as switching between "three" and "tree" twice..

I've not seen the DVDs, but from what I understand they used the same subtitles, or at least with minimal correction. Certainly the "tree-day plant" thing was there in CR's subs since I actually included it as an example in my post before trimming it down.

roxybudgy wrote:
Reminds me of my newbie translator days when a friend asked me to translate a doujinshi about a series I had absolutely zero knowledge of. I was baffled at the what the character name "Tsuvai" was supposed to mean. It wasn't until years later when I started to study German (because I'm a fan of "Kommisar Rex") that I realised it was meant to be "Zwei".

The random German in Chu2Koi threw Sentai off (e.g. Schwarzschild subbed as "Schwartz Shield" etc.); I don't know if anything was fixed for the discs.
Going back aways there was also "Armburst" in the Kiddy Grade dub and CCs (Armbrust in the direct subs on the same disc). They weren't immune to problems in Japan either, since they're insistent on "Donnersclag" (even "correcting" it from Donnerschlag in FUNimation's subtitles when they adapted them for their BDs) and the katakana used for Pfeilspitze is actually wrong. The sequel was worse; I don't think anyone figured out what the names of the main characters were until an official romanisation finally appeared and it took me ages to figure out that two other characters had Russian names (and I am still convinced that the official romanisation for Pauki is incorrect).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I've not seen the DVDs, but from what I understand they used the same subtitles, or at least with minimal correction. Certainly the "tree-day plant" thing was there in CR's subs since I actually included it as an example in my post before trimming it down.

I hope that I am not going too far off topic here, but after seeing your screen caps I am curious about some other things in the Koihime Musou subtitles.
Were "shinning ball" and "who is the attacker and who is the receiver?" supposed to be something different?
If so what?

I love Koihime Musou and have watched it at least four times, and now I am getting the urge to watch it again, but the subtitles are annoying at times. Maybe it is good that I do not know enough Japanese to understand how bad they are.

But Sentai seems to have done much better with the two sequels, which makes me happy.
At least they do not have the obvious grammar errors and typos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Were "shinning ball" and "who is the attacker and who is the receiver?" supposed to be something different?
If so what?

It should have been "shining ball".
IIRC the "attacker and receiver" was a reference to the uke and seme yaoi terminology.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
@Shiroi Hane
Thank you.

I thought that those screen caps were showing examples of mistakes in the subtitles. Apparently I misunderstood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
I do consider it a mistake, since it is a very literal translation of the words and doesn't make sense in context.
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Kingoanime wrote:
In general I've held the philosophy that "If you have the means to watch legally, and you don't you're not a real fan" Now obviously I know there are exceptions, like if you live in a country without legal means, but if you live in NA you at the very least have CR and Funimation.com which are free.
I'm in High school so I know a ton of people who use fansubs. for a couple of them I've learned to stop trying to convince them, most are even friends of mine. I'm actually vice president of our school's anime club and I always tell our members about how important it is to support the industry. We don't have access to streaming sites because of our's school's firewall so we use rips of official subs, but I always give links to legal places.

That's not what the word fan means.

I only have real issues with official subs when they're obviously localized. Like Viz's Jojo releases.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
In the big picture, I don't care about how people consume their anime. In the moment, I would just say that people should at least attempt to watch anime legally.

On topic, I think that there are rare occasions when pro subs disappoint. The most recent case was an episode of Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans, which is subbed by Daisuki.net and then given to Crunchyroll.

Then there is self-censorship. In JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, they had a lot of problems with using band names and the names of rock stars. It feels really dumb when the characters say "Oingo Boingo" and the subs say some other name.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Then there is self-censorship. In JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, they had a lot of problems with using band names and the names of rock stars. It feels really dumb when the characters say "Oingo Boingo" and the subs say some other name.

The music industry is notorious for pursuing its rights in other media. Perhaps the licensor for Jojo would have been required to pay a licensing fee to use "Oingo Boingo" in the subtitles.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
YotaruVegeta wrote:

The music industry is notorious for pursuing its rights in other media. Perhaps the licensor for Jojo would have been required to pay a licensing fee to use "Oingo Boingo" in the subtitles.

Not just "perhaps", we know the reason so many names in the official JoJo subs had to be changed is for copyright reasons.

Doesn't make them any less annoying to watch, though.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The licensor may check your work. Not all licensors do this, but most will check over your translation to make sure nothing is significantly off. This step often has to get skipped during simulcasts for deadline reasons, but most will go back and check everything again before it gets used on a DVD or Blu-ray. Sometimes they may flag things because they know something that's coming up later in the show, that you have no idea about. Other times, they'll ask you to clarify an English figure of speech to make sure it fits with its intended Japanese meaning. This step can be frustrating, but it also catches lots of mistakes.

Huh, really? I thought most licensors, being Japanese companies, were short on guys who know English.
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:

Not just "perhaps", we know the reason so many names in the official JoJo subs had to be changed is for copyright reasons.

Doesn't make them any less annoying to watch, though.

That's not how copyright law works. Especially when the name's Oingo and Boingo were never used together right after one another.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Drunk Samurai wrote:
That's not how copyright law works. Especially when the name's Oingo and Boingo were never used together right after one another.

All of these usages would likely fall under fair use as parodies. Even so, the record labels only need threaten a suit, whether they have a leg to stand on or not. Licensees aren't going to want to spend a dime defending themselves over a trivial issue that's easily avoidable, so they just don't take the risk in the first place.

It's like that whole Avatar mess. You can't copyright a title. But nobody wanted to waste time and money to get Cameron off their backs, so they just changed it and moved on.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Drunk Samurai wrote:

All of these usages would likely fall under fair use as parodies. Even so, the record labels only need threaten a suit, whether they have a leg to stand on or not. Licensees aren't going to want to spend a dime defending themselves over a trivial issue that's easily avoidable, so they just don't take the risk in the first place.

It's like that whole Avatar mess. You can't copyright a title. But nobody wanted to waste time and money to get Cameron off their backs, so they just changed it and moved on.

Agreed, and it also comes down to how willing the company doing the translation is willing to try. Viz obviously had to have sent requests to certain artists for permission, hence why names like Vanilla Ice were kept for the release of the manga, but CrunchyRoll (& Bandai Namco before them) changed the name to Cool Ice. Hell, Bandai Namco were especially careful, even changing Polnareff's name, which had never been done before.

At the very least, though, JoJo's name changes are still related to the original reference in some way (like how "Cool Ice" references Vanilla Ice's movie Cool As Ice), are simply another music reference (Zenyatta Mondatta, Soul Sacrifice, etc.), or are simple re-worded in ways that fit JoJo's general bizarreness (Dan of Steel, Filthy Acts Done at a Reasonable Price, etc.).
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I actually trust fan releases over official ones most of the time. I do appreciate the whole 'by the fans, for the fans' mentality. A lot of official releases make it seem like just a business decision, rather than being done by people who want to love or share something. Pocket Monsters is a really good example

Fan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMF5pBOoPaw
Official: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B57o_SIu710

The fan one sounds a lot better and closer to the original than the official one, and it's just one guy rather than a multimillion dollar company.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15