• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Delta (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Yes! Awesome. I weirdly like character deaths, particulary if it's a character I like. And I was really starting to like Messer so his passing had a lot of impact. It'll be a shame that I won't get to see more Kaname/Messer action though (unless Messer somehow survives, but becomes incapable of piloting fighters. Getting hit by a fighter's cannon will probably mess you up pretty bad though.)

Maybe in "Macross Delta: THE MOVIE" but it is safe to say Messer's fate is far from ambiguous.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh, no doubt. It was just a thought. You know like maybe he goes into coma and miraculously wakes up in the final episode. Doesn't seem like it'll happen though. Whatever bits and pieces that are left of Messer in that cockpit will go crashing down into the ground. That's probably relatively fatal.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Raftina wrote:

I don't know about that. I heard fan speculation that because Delta switched focus to an idol squad, Kaname would be the one to die as the mentor type. Certainly the recent death flags could have been for her just as easily as they could have been for Messer.

Mikumo seems more like Freyja's mentor as well as the unofficial leader of the Walkure (IE she is closer to Messer's counterpart than Kaname), and considering she seems to have more of the "Obi-wan" effect while unlocking the secrets of the Protoculture I would find that Lady M has raised more death flags among the Walkure in comparison .
spoiler[Unless the "big twist" is that Freyja dies well before the end of the series.]

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you wrote, but Lady M hasn't even been introduced. Mikumo and Lady M aren't likely the same person.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you wrote, but Lady M hasn't even been introduced. Mikumo and Lady M aren't likely the same person.

Fair enough, but I still stand by Mikumo being the mentor for a number of moments between her and Freyja as well as the nature than any of the Walkure that were not Mikumo or Freyja have been treated as second tier characters.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Mikumo's more of a 'pusher' than a mentor. All she really did was keep insulting and threatening Freyja until Freyja figured things out on her own.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Mikumo's more of a 'pusher' than a mentor. All she really did was keep insulting and threatening Freyja until Freyja figured things out on her own.

...which was very much the mirror relationship that Messer has with Hayate.

Messer may have put on a face to keep people distant but he truly cared for the rest of his squad which defined his final moments.

Mikumo has displayed on several performances that she puts herself physically in front of the rest of the Walkure regardless if she may or may not have "one more ace up her sleeve" her actions define that she will put herself in harms way for the sake of the group.

The only thing the show needs to do now is introduce "a NEW rookie who quickly turns ace" and maybe a few more tropes and this show will be hard to distinguish with overly short descriptions from the other Macross incarnations.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
The comparisons between Mikumo and Messer was spelled out for us a few episodes ago.

But we're not comparing them to each other, we're comparing them to the true Macross type doomed mentor figures. The Roy Fockers, the Kinryus, and the Ozuma Lees. Arad fits that mold, Messer doesn't.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and the Ozuma Lees

Except he lived, the one that died in Frontier was Mikhail whom still evoked Roy Focker by being a close buddy to the lead character pilot as well as already being part of the SMS before Alto's enlistment.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
As I said, Kawamori likes pulling fasts ones on us, specifically in Ozuma case. I just don't think he'd pull the same trick twice in a row, though.

But anyways, we're just talking broad archetypes here. Messer and Mikumo are not cut from the same cloth as Roy and his ilk.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Well that pretty much settles it. RIP Messer. I mean, there was no way he could of survived that and the funeral confirms it again.

Meanwhile, the Aerial Knights and Windermereans make their grand move so I expect a big battle coming. Gramia's plan to launch the Protoculture warship (cool design imo) can also cause quite the trouble.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
Ep 11
It was an expected low key episode, the cast reflects upon Messer's sacrifice and give a personal resolution for the efforts against Windermere's advance.

The Protoculture Warship is an intriguing surprise, I can only assume that its scale is supposed to be on par with a Macross class battleship.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Great sendoff. Although Hayate said he would fight hard enough for them not to need a new pilot, the captain's gotta get someone to fill Messer's place, right? They can't go up against Windarmere a man down. Now, I wanna see Windarmere's new toy go up against one of those massive Macross thingies.

Who's Lady M though? Did I miss the part where they explained who it is? Or do we just not know yet?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Great sendoff. Although Hayate said he would fight hard enough for them not to need a new pilot, the captain's gotta get someone to fill Messer's place, right?

Yeah, it is kind of silly Hayate boasting that he can "fight hard enough to take Messer's place" but he certainly can't be in more than one place at a time.

I will be surprised if there is no replacement for Messer as him leaving the Delta squad was already underway, simply the current trend of events just meant it would be "permanent".
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Who's Lady M though? Did I miss the part where they explained who it is? Or do we just not know yet?

She's been mentioned a few times. She runs Chaos, the PMC Delta squadron belongs to, apparently.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm part of a group of people that really hopes that Lady M is Mirage's aunt, Mylene Jenius. Other's have hinted at Myung from Macross Plus.

One of the things that I really enjoy about Delta is how much of a role relics left behind by the Protoculture are playing in the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 20