• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Wizardry 101

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm really not a fan of Level-5 (probably expressed that in the past on here at some point), but I'm interested to see what they can do with Matsuno on board.

As for Fate/Extra, Saber spoiler[is Nero], if I remember correctly.
TC-man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
I'm really not a fan of Level-5 (probably expressed that in the past on here at some point), but I'm interested to see what they can do with Matsuno on board.

As for Fate/Extra, Saber spoiler[is Nero], if I remember correctly.

Wait, I thought Saberspoiler[was Arthur]; I only watched the anime series. To me not much of a spoiler, but it does make things so much interesting now. I would really like to see this version of Fate/Extra as a new anime too.

Last edited by TC-man on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that each time a different Holy Grail War happens that the servants represent different historical legends? So while with Shirou Emiya's Holy Grail War Saber indeed was spoiler[King Arthur], for this game (which I assume is about a different Holy Grail War) she represents someone else.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
It looks like (from what I've read) there's a whole bunch of interdimensional, alternate universe, virtual-reality nonsense going on in Fate/Extra, so I wouldn't really worry TOO much about cannonicity.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Fate/Extra is not about a Holy Grail War/Heaven's Feel, and is in a completely different continuity.

Yes, in the 5th Heaven's Feel, Saber was spoiler[King Arthur/Arturia (as well as in the 4th)], but in Fate/Extra, Saber is spoiler[Nero].

For reference, these are the known Servants (spoilers for Fate/Zero, Fate/stay night TV, Fate/Unlimited Blade Works, Heaven's Feel (game's third route), and Fate/hollow ataraxia):
Archer, 4th War -> spoiler[Gilgamesh]
Archer, 5th War -> spoiler[EMIYA]
Assassin, 4th War -> spoiler[Hassan-i Sabbah]
Assassin, 5th War -> spoiler[Sasaki Kojiro (self-proclaimed)]
True Assassin, 5th War -> spoiler[Hassan-i Sabbah]
Avenger, 3rd War -> spoiler[Angra Mainyu]
Avenger, 5th War -> spoiler[Angra Mainyu]
Berserker, 4th War -> spoiler[Lancelot]
Berserker, 5th War -> spoiler[Heracles]
Caster, 4th War -> spoiler[Gilles de Rais]
Caster, 5th War -> spoiler[Medea]
Lancer, 4th War -> spoiler[Diarmuid Ua Duibhne]
Lancer, 5th War -> spoiler[Cu Chulainn]
Rider, 4th War -> spoiler[Alexander the Great]
Rider, 5th War -> spoiler[Medusa]
Saber, 4th War -> spoiler[King Arthur/Arturia]
Saber, 5th War -> spoiler[King Arthur/Arturia]

In Fate/Extra, there options and choices that change who the Masters and Servants are. For Servants who you can choose, I'll mark "Protagonist" and "Non-Protagonist." For Servants you can't choose but have multiples, it will be "Option 1" and "Option 2":
Archer, Protagonist -> spoiler[Unnamed, but same design as EMIYA-Archer]
Archer, Non-Protagonist -> spoiler[Robin hood]
Assassin -> spoiler[Li Shu Wen]
Berserker, Option 1 -> spoiler[Arcueid Brunestud]
Berserker, Option 2 -> spoiler[Lu Bu]
Caster, Protagonist -> spoiler[Tamamo-no-Mae]
Caster, Non-Protagonist -> spoiler[Nursery Rhyme]
Lancer, Option 1 -> spoiler[Cu Chulainn]
Lancer, Option 2 -> spoiler[Vlad III the Impaler]
Rider -> spoiler[Francis Drake]
Saber, Protagonist -> spoiler[Nero Claudius Ceasar Augustus Germanicus]
Saber, Non-Protagonist -> spoiler[Gawain]

I already know I'll have to play through F/E multiple times, because I want to see all 3 non-protagonist Servants, and both Lancers (only care about one of the Berserkers).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Those captions you put in for the three games are both quite amusing and true if you think about most company mindsets. I'd have to agree since companies rely way too much on cashing in using big name series to stay in business. They could localize a crappy Pokemon bus driving game and still people millions would buy it because it's got Pokemon in the title. I'm afraid that's how customer mindsets work.

Wicked Monster Blast: Todd....no, just no, okay? No. The art style looks heavily reminiscent of that god awful Panty and Stocking garbage.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
dollssoulkirie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For another, it's developed by Imageepoch, which was supposedly working with NIS America to localize games not so long ago.

Fate/Extra is developed by Imageepoch and published by Marvelous Entertainment, not developed & published by Imageepoch. So the "supposedly working with NIS America" thing doesn't really apply to this title. NIS America's partnership is to publish the games that Imageepoch publishes in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what Bob Woodhead thought about The Dark Spire.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That's because no one was buying their non-Pokemon and Zelda stuff, because they liked making consoles with limited third-party appeal. And it looks like history's repeating itself.
And that's the thing: I think they were also trying to appeal to 3rd parties at one point by leaving a release schedule free of 1st parties...but what happens if no one jumps in on it? It's damned if you do damned if you don't for NOA.

(Also part of me just thinks they'll rerelease these for Wii U with updated graphics and other Wii U enhancements which could explain NOA's stay-and-wait approach. Still, bad move on the PR side of the American branch.)
Ranemoraken wrote:
Yeah, our Wii's aren't region free are they? Ah, oh well.
At least there was an answer - rather than letting the issue blow in the wind..
ACTUALLY you CAN make them region free! Softmods exist. I refuse to mention how, but I also assume people here are smart...
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I think Nintendo will release Xenoblade NA.
Monado: Beginning of the World (Xenobade( is still on amazon for pre-order
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
Huh... well... this is something rather interesting. VERY interesting. From the official Operation Rainfall blog:

Operation Rainfall wrote:
Source: NTSC Xenoblade Done, The Last Story In Progress
NTSC Xenoblade Finished Prior to E3 Nintendo of America Sitting on Announcement

July 7, 2011

American localization of Xenoblade is complete, The Last Story is currently being translated to English for an American release, but there is no word on Pandora’s Tower localization. This information was disclosed to Operation Rainfall today from a source within Nintendo who wishes to remain anonymous. There is currently no indication of when Nintendo of America plans to formally announce these titles.

Last week Nintendo of America told its followers on Facebook and Twitter that it had no plans to bring Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora’s tower to America “at this time.” Nintendo intentionally left open the possibility of release. Allegedly, the Redmond, WA branch has been working with other branches to bring Xenoblade and The Last Story to North America.

According to our source, The NSTC version of Xenoblade was completed just over a month ago, while testing for the PAL and NSTC versions of The Last Story could begin in a month. There is currently no word on localization for an NSTC version of Pandora’s Tower.

Remember, this information was disclosed to Operation Rainfall in confidence. Until Nintendo of America makes an announcement, there will be no official word of an NTSC release. However, this news has increased our hope for a North American release of these games. It could also explain why retailers like Amazon continue to have Xenoblade (Monado: Beginning of the World) listed on their website.

Make of this information what you will, but after much internal discussion Operation Rainfall believed it would be best to share this information with our followers. Consider this our announcement of a forthcoming announcement.

Help us keep the pressure on Nintendo, and hopefully we will get a formal announcement of Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower sooner rather than later.

If this really pans out, then I guess I won't have to eat those words of mine that still held out hope for the localization of these titles, like in my earlier post in this thread...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:14 am Reply with quote
It appears that in this industry, "We have no plans to release product X to market Y" means "We don't want to announce it yet", and can be because they would never release it in a million years, or because they are planning to announce next week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2