• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Visual Novel Invasion

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
margibso wrote:
Sekai needs to drop Yohjo Simulator not because of any offensive material, but because the game is cash grab trash. ... As a localizer they are used to working with games that already have a pedigree. They need to do some quality control work on new titles, especially ones outside their VN wheelhouse, if they don't want to tarnish their name as a publisher.

I agree, though honestly, Sekai outright stating that the loli scene being offensive was a reason for the takedown is a PR disaster.

It sends the signal that they can be pushed around by people who were never going to buy their products to begin with. Bad news.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
While there are a number of American indy game companies that make VN, there is also one that has ties with Funimation. That is, Apphia Yu/Ayu Sakata, the fianceee of Micah Solusod, started an indy VN company called sakevisual in '10.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
margibso wrote:
Sekai needs to drop Yohjo Simulator not because of any offensive material, but because the game is cash grab trash. ... As a localizer they are used to working with games that already have a pedigree. They need to do some quality control work on new titles, especially ones outside their VN wheelhouse, if they don't want to tarnish their name as a publisher.

I agree, though honestly, Sekai outright stating that the loli scene being offensive was a reason for the takedown is a PR disaster.

It sends the signal that they can be pushed around by people who were never going to buy their products to begin with. Bad news.

Believe it or not some people just wanted a laugh about a third grader doing rampt destruction ala goat simulator, so when they find references to a third grader getting raped and killed it kinda destroys that mood. and you know what it sounds like sekai project would have censored it and avoided the problems themselves by removing it. if they could be bothered to do proper qc work or the developer had actually been honest with them about what was in the game.
margibso

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
if they could be bothered to do proper qc work or the developer had actually been honest with them about what was in the game.

At 1:07:25 "We'd played around with the title before putting it up on steam" earlier "one of those things that was completely overlooked"

Golly, I wonder how that happened.
It sounds like they spent five minutes running around head butting things to make sure it technically qualified as a game and just trusted the developer completely on everything else. Considering the flood of garbage that people keep trying to put on steam they really need to take a harder look at what they are backing.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad to see the VN genre getting some legitimacy as a game genre in North America. There's some really fantastic ones out there, and for a long time it's been hard to get publishers to even give them a look. I think the popularity of some hybrid VN/puzzle games like 999 and Phoenix Wright has helped a lot; I usually recommend those to people who are interested in the genre but don't have any experience with it.

It's disappointing to hear Zac parrot the "only the government can censor things" line, though, given how much editorial control he has at ANN. Only the government is bound by the first amendment, but anybody who is in a position to exercise editorial or publishing control over somebody else's work can be a censor. The difference between government and private censorship is a matter of legality, which is irrelevant to the discussion of whether it's moral or not. Even self-censorship is still censorship. Remember the Comics Code Authority? It wasn't a government entity, was entirely "voluntary" (if you wanted stores to sell your comics), and it severely damaged the American comic industry for decades.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Quote:
Only the government is bound by the first amendment, but anybody who is in a position to exercise editorial or publishing control over somebody else's work can be a censor. The difference between government and private censorship is a matter of legality, which is irrelevant to the discussion of whether it's moral or not. Even self-censorship is still censorship.

Nonsense. A publisher, and by extension the editor he hires, has always had the right to determine what they will or will not publish. If for no other reason because the publisher is legally responsible for what he publishes. Unless he prevents the author or artist from going elsewhere or self publication he is not guilty of censorship.

By your definition, an author who modifies his own work to make it more salable (or for any other reason) is guilty of the mortal sin of censorship. Are you suggesting that the first draft is sacrosanct?

If the government censors a publication, there is no where in the government's jurisdiction where the work can be published. If a publisher declines to publish a work unmodified the author/artist can always try else where. That is why only government censorship is really important. If the author/artist modifies a work for commercial or any other reason, that is his right.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote
VNs golden age was the 00's, then there was a glut, then LNs took over
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2