• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network Gets a New Layout

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heike-sama

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
nobody[v] wrote:

To be honest, the main feature of ANN that I frequent is the encylopedia. Of all the anime-info sites I've seen, ANN has without a doubt, the best search-feaure. Unfortunately, the new layout makes it quite inconvenient to search multiple series, since the encyclopedia search bar disappears after you search (you basically have to press back to re-access it quickly).

It would also be nice to have that "Latest Article" column become optional, so that more space is given to the actual information.

It would also be more convenient if the encyclopedia search bar would remain where it was when the search results are displayed.

I agree with nobody[v]. The encylopedia is what I come here for. Its not a big problem, but used links are no more shown in a different colour (cast-, stuff-, etc.-links, same with the alphabet-bar). In the former vision, that little option made it easier to see, if my favorite voice actors are in an anime or not.
And like I said before: I don´t think, that the "Latest Artikel" needs that much space.

But, well - I still love ANN - even with an unpicturesque layout. Anime smallmouth
mokitty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Now that I've had a few days to experience the new layout, I've formed a solid opinion.

It certainly seems easier to navigate, and I really like that the news is clearly marked by date, so that I can more readily see what's new.

That said, I'm thoroughly annoyed by that Coyote Ragtime bar down the left side!
I recognize this must be part of your advertising, but it's very distracting! I've just finished reading this week's Answerman. In my opinion, that bar is too wide and much too colorful. But that is not the worst. Add in the bar on the right, with the quick links to reviews, etc. It's also very wide and with animated ads. The column is all squished in there between a pair of rainbows.

Overall, I like that the site seems to be taking a change in direction, but the execution of this particular change is one I simply cannot grow to enjoy. It felt like trying to read something serious on an overdone site like newgrounds.com, or the like. The size and layout of the ads is just too distracting.
nobody[v]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:35 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
nobody[v] wrote:
True, a search bar is in every page, but its the google version. Not the encyclopedia specific one.

Try clicking the down-arrow instead of the search button itself.

I know it's accessible from there, but basically it's less convenient than the original. You have to click the encyclopedia option, which then requires another page to be loaded, before you can access to the encyclopedia search using that method.

In the old skin, the search box that was always present while viewing the encyclopedia made searching very convenient.
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quote
I'm just wondering: is ANN going to tackle the problem with the new skins? I find it incredibly annoying that I have to re-login more often than before, and I almost always have to change the skin to normal when I visit the site. I hope it's just a bug and not intentional... (Because if it is, it's just low. Besides, what use is the normal skin if it doesn't stay on?)
jagozon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Im pretty mutch used to the new layout now,but theres just one thing....are the links to the encyclopedia from the news,comming back? Its killing me,it helps me in 2 ways,1st if its an anime i dont know all i have to do it click on the link to find out that it is,and 2nd i dont usualy read through every single new news post,so i use highlited anime link to quick scan the news,if its an anime in interested in ill go ahead and read the whole thing....well,i just hope they come back Very Happy
Khashmali

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
The new page is much more cluttered than the old. I use the site primarily for anime encyclopedia title browsing. The first few days was refreshing as the listing text covered most of the page. The following days revealed an increasing amount of crap.
I now have to go through the extra step of having to use the 'encyclopedia' tab to get get to the 'anime' list, formerly on the left side, straight up.
The ad for 'Coyote Ragtime' is unnecessarily huge, taking up not only the entire top of the page, but about a third of the left side as well! The ad does NOT have to beat up the rest of the page.
Add on the stupidly gigantic emoticons (do people actually use those things?), & the info on the right side leaves only a tiny text column in the center.
Did your 'professional' web page builder happen to notice the 'Anima News'
logo box in the top center obliterates almost all of the tab sublist, leaving a huge empty space below it? Now i can't click on sublist items underneath!
If the logo box was supposed fit in that empty space, you missed the spot bigtime Eagle Eye!
I used to think you had the very best in anime reference, but some genius there turned it into a real ad cluttered pain in the ass. Please fix.
gary leeman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote
This new blue layout is much cleaner!
The setup is basically the same, but it doesnt seem to be as difficult to find things.

I like the news/views, etc tabs. they stick for a little bit more than they did before.

Well done ANN! Way to listen to us users!
キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I liked the old layout. This new one is a bit too smooth and airbrushed.
aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
The only strange thing for me is when I hop between the ANN Australia and ANN USA there is no visual difference but it seems this new layout has hit viewers less hard and there seems to be alot less complaints... *clears throat*... alot less than when they had Coyote Ragtime / Red one on...
zaib

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
hi all!
i don't like this new layout, i think it's rather hard to find anything
maybe after i get used to it, but i think the old was much, much better
i too hope, that the old will be available, sometime, maybe
when i first came here, after a few weeks out, i haven't know, if i'm in the right place; you haven't advertising the change, i mean, after it (for i don't know anything of before)
welll, i just hope, it gets better, and the database is still amazing
seeya

edit: i have seen, that i haven't been here a lot longer than a few weeks, that's why i haven't seen it advertised
and, of course, i haven't read the thread before posting, so please, delete if you want ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12