• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Light Novel question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desertking22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
Ok there's a few series I'm interested in like the haruhi suzumiya series, sword art online, spice and wolf. Here's the issue. I have two bookshelfs and only have room for these two, the one is a taller shelf but it's occupying my manga, the shorter one in the corner is where all my novels such as Harry Potter, the sword of truth, lotr stuff like that are and has a printer and a radio occupying the top. I was wondering should the light novels go with my manga shelf or my novel shelf?
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
You are the one who will need to find them when you want them, so you should just do what seems logical to you.

I keep all of my anime, manga, and Japanese novels together by franchise.
The Haruhi anime, manga, and novels are all together in one place.
The Full Metal Panic anime, manga, and novels are all together in one place.
And so on.

The few non-Japanese novels that I have are in a different location.
Right now I do not have any Japanese novels that are not associated with an anime or manga, so I do not need to decide what to do in that situation.

EDIT: By "Japanese" I mean of Japanese origin, not in the Japanese language. I just want to clear that up so as not to give the false impression that I can read Japanese.

Last edited by Touma on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Desertking22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
It would make more sense to have all my Japanese related stuff on one shelf
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
My Strawberry Panic novels are on my yuri shelf, all the others are together on a different shelf. Yen Press' LN's tend to be bigger than most manga, so I keep them on their own shelf.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I just wish I had shelves for all my "Japanese stuff". The bulk of my manga is in boxes in the storage room.

When it comes to organization, the answer is what ever works for you. If you mentally associate the LNs with your manga, by all means shelve them together. You might want to keep them in the same area as they usually are larger. What ever you try will either work or feel inconvenient. If the arrangement feels wrong try something else.

Where it gets hard is when you completely run out of space. Evil or Very Mad
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
What about if you divide the Japanese shelf in half - put light novels on one side and manga on the other? You could even have them in the same basic order, like the Haruhi manga next to the DanMachi manga and the Haruhi novels next to the DanMachi novels. (Just grabbed two titles off the top of my head.)

Personally I keep manga and light novels on separate shelves, and non-light novels elsewhere. (But then because my books are the only thing in my life that are organized, I divide it down even further by genre, age, and, in some cases, fragility. So I can get overenthusiastic.)
Desertking22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
The only other taller stuff I have are my shonen jumps.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
@Princess_Irene

Your books can't be completely organized. You probably have more than I do (not that I count them). I've always found that no matter what scheme I try there are books that don't fit any category or are simply too big to file with similar stuff. When it is not size it is space limitations that foul up organization.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I'm shelving any of my media, I try to group "like products" together. So any single OAV discs are grouped with the box sets (box sets are in a separate area from my other DVDs). My Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Vesperia, and Xenosaga anime discs are with their matching video games. My Vampire Knight light novel is with my Vampire Knight manga, etc.

Now, I do keep my video games and my manga on separate shelves (because I custom set the shelf heights to the height of what was on it. Also, it would be too hard to group my video game manga next to the matching games, when there's an entire shelf of just video game manga-- 47 volumes at current count!).

Of course, as others have mentioned, Yen's LN are larger than manga (so are their omnibus editions). So my Log Horizon and Kagerou Daze manga are next to my Karneval and Uraboku manga on a completely other shelf. My Brave Story hardcover is also grouped with my regular books.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
@Alan45

Oh lord, no - "completely organized" is asking the impossible. Laughing But they're more organized than almost anything else, generally in the paperbacks by size and genre. My elderly texts are mostly just where it's safest.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who is really a reader will know that "organization of your books" is a moving target. Books continually come and go and every year there are more that you don't want to part with. No one genre of book is enough to keep you supplied with reading material and exploring the book store or the library leads to the most interesting places.

I'll admit to reading cereal boxes when nothing else was available. Embarassed
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:38 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

I'll admit to reading cereal boxes when nothing else was available. Embarassed

That makes at least two of us. Other low points include the instructions to my sister's PSVita and a bag of cat food.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
What are you talking about "and go"? Unless it's become a duplicate (i.e. wasn't in the greatest condition, or an omnibus with more content came out), I have never given away or sold ANY book I've ever owned.

And yes, one genre can totally keep you satisfied! Do you realize how much fantasy comes out each year?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
Oh, definitely "and go" If my wife and I still had all the books we ever bought we would be featured on the next episode of "hoarders" Laughing When the alternative is buying a bigger house you will find that some authors do not thrill as much as they did when you bought them.

Enough fantasy, or any other genre comes out every year to burn someone completely out. It may take a decade or so but it can happen. I hate to think of how many areas of fiction I used to read indiscriminately that I am now limited to a couple of authors.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
I keep my light novels with my manga and they are ALL alphabetized. Anime hyper

Even the raw ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2