• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online: What makes it SEEM so bad?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Boy, didn't realize how many different Asuna figs there were out there until I went looking for the picture of mine. This is the one I ended up getting:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
For some reason it greatly amuses me that you didn't actually get a SAO figure, but a Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax one Laughing
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
*delighted gasp*

OMG we're sharing figure photos now!?

YAY

Let me show you guys how much fun Nendoroids are

Let's give Kirito-kun a sandwich!! :'D

Awwwwww......it fell on the floor. D:

.......life's just horrible, isn't it.......
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

Ah, that brings back memories of this scene.
Night fox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote
Guys, this is turning into the unofficial Anime-Related Figures Thread. Let's turn down the nostalgia factor a bit and return to the throat-strangling and heated discussion that we all enjoy so much. Cool Wink Laughing
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
Not that I am opposing a return to the thread's topic (which, in a forum environment, is typically what's supposed to happen), but didn't we already have like, 250 pages of that? Razz

Last edited by Gatherum on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
For some reason it greatly amuses me that you didn't actually get a SAO figure, but a Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax one Laughing

Honestly didn't realize that's what I was getting. Still a good-looking and well-made fig, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
^I have a Dengeki Special Issue Shana-chan. She's tiny but looks awesome.

EmbraceMe wrote:
@Chiibi

Ah, that brings back memories of this scene.

HAHAHAH THAT WAS HILARIOUS.

But yeah.....the figure comes with "broken soul mode" and I was like.........omg........this is going to be WAY too enjoyable....someone should take this thing away from me. lmao

If you want complaining, I can complain about this:

EVERY SHOW IS DOING THIS. It's unfair to her. Anime cry
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, she's one of the mains in the Girls Op manga. It's pretty good.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
Enh, when everyone in the setting is already faeries and magic-users abound, a magical girl parody would lose its impact.

It would be about as effective as making a magical girl parody of, say, Slayers.
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:17 am Reply with quote
I think I would argue this forum is still on topic. Things about SAO don't necessarily need to be about the anime. If it was, I wouldn't keep mentioning the lightnovel and anime differences. The reason I could imagine SAO being treated so poorly is a I believe has been stated. It isn't that it's so bad, but it was a let down. People wanted it to be more than it could be, and instead they got pages of ebay figures and magical girl parody ideas for SAO. While I think the term "haters" has some meaning, I think its more disappointment coupled with seeing all of the love it still got. It's easy to see negatives if you ignore the positives.

Speaking of magical girls and SAO, the voice of Yuuki in SAO is also Madoka in Madoka Magika and that voice actress sings the first ending theme to Madoka. Try reading the translated lyrics of "Mata Ashita" while thinking of Yuuki, hurts my heart.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:47 am Reply with quote
Lobokendo wrote:
Speaking of magical girls and SAO, the voice of Yuuki in SAO is also Madoka in Madoka Magika and that voice actress sings the first ending theme to Madoka. Try reading the translated lyrics of "Mata Ashita" while thinking of Yuuki, hurts my heart.

Aoi Yuuki is pretty awesome, I recently became a more particular fan of her. If you want a surprising different, check her out in another trapped in a video game anime, Overlord, where she plays a villain. I feel like I might have not been paying too much attention to her roles, so I do have the plan to be able to eventually do so again in re-watching some scenes of SAO 2.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 am Reply with quote
Lobokendo wrote:

To prevent confusion, you probably should specify that you're talking about the Japanese voice for those two characters. The English voice for Madoka is actually the voice of Silica in SAO, while the English voice for Yuuki was the voice of Ryuuko in Kill la Kill (and Sailor Uranus in the new Viz Media dub of Sailor Moon and Diane in The Seven Deadly Sins and Fu in Yuki Yuna is a Hero. . . man, SM aside, she's been impressing me in a lot of roles lately.)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well, she's one of the mains in the Girls Op manga. It's pretty good.

Neato. I will have to give it a look. :'D
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
To prevent confusion, you probably should specify that you're talking about the Japanese voice for those two characters.

My mistake, I was referring to Aoi Yuuki. I believed saying she sung the ending theme was enough to point in that direction but it is better to be more direct.

As for the song I meant it is specifically "Mata Ashita" sung by Aoi Yuuki. It is the character song for Madoka Kaname and the first ending theme used in Puella Magi Madoka Magica the lyrics of which translate to a song that fan fit Yuuki Konno in SAO to a certain degree. The fact that Aoi Yuuki is also the voice of Yuuki Konno in SAO makes for even more emotional impact.

As for Aoi Yuuki in Overlord, I didn't even realize she was Clementine. She's such a talented voice actor. Currently she is also voicing Kayo in Boku Dake ga Inai Machi so if you're a fan of her work Dusky it is an excellent anime for the current season you might enjoy her in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15