• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hollownerox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:12 am Reply with quote
I don't usually post this sort of thing often, because mainly I believe in just letting people watch a show and get their own impression of it. But honestly the preview of KonoSuba was just so absolutely one-sided, and it's clear a lot of people have gotten some REALLY mistaken impressions about it.

As someone who has been reading the original Light Novel since it was first released in Japan it really disheartens me seeing so many people getting their views coloured like this. So I thought I might as well pitch in to clear up some misconceptions. Obviously I'm not going to spoil things, because that'd just be terrible. Just clear things up a bit.

For one thing it seems like everybody is getting tunnel vision and focusing too much on the fact that Aqua is stated to be an idiot. No this is not some misogynist thing that Kazuma is putting forth. She is legit a dumb person. And not in a "he knows how to do math better than her" sort of way. Later episodes will make this EXTREMELY clear, but I'm just saying this now since people seem to be focusing on this a tad too much.

There are plenty of other female characters, one of which is fully acknowledged to be much more intelligent than Kazuma, who also regard Aqua as an idiot. Because she honestly is one, though a really good natured one at heart. In fact she and Kazuma are actually very alike, but that's not really relevant right now; you will probably notice the similarities later on. Basically her future actions will show why her INT stats are so low, and I'll leave it at that. (I can give some examples in a spoiler if someone is impatient).

As for Kazuma himself, he is actually not that bad of a person at all; in fact he is pretty complex of a character in of himself. Kazuma is selfish, cowardly, perverted, and underhanded. But he is most certainly none of those things in preview. The only reason he acts that way to Aqua is because he felt really spiteful in the heat of the moment. And to be fair who wouldn't after a person mocks you and tells you how pathetic of a death you had? The two have an odd relationship where you can't really tell if they actually hate each other or not.

Kazuma is actually in my top five Main Character list simply because of how much personality he has compared to other series; so I really do wish you would give him a chance. He may give a faulty impression at first, but that's kind of the point of his character.

Kamagor wrote:
Seeing the talk over Konosuba, I gave it a watch and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I understand the things not to like. I thought it had moments of being funny, but it's interspersed with the mean spirited elements and the montage with repeated animation just feels lazy. It's like half an episode at best to me.

The "I'm in a game" aspect feels half-assed also. Sword Art has the big gimmick of getting trapped through the headset and fighting for ones life, Log Horizon has a big mystery behind the reasons, others are just a fantasy world with MMO type coatings, though serviceable, but this was like "Well ya died stupidly, we randomly have a game world you can go to...have fun I guess...".

The animation problems are pretty fair, because well DEEN. But I should really stress that KonoSuba is NOT a Videogame world. This is something I really need to point out, it is not an RPG setting like SAO was trying (imo did a poor job at) to be. It is more of a Tabletop Roleplaying game along the lines of Dungeon and Dragon. Trying to see it as a parody of videogames would easily make the humor fall flat because that's not what it is trying to be. Though it is also the case that the series is a parody of a genre that hasn't actually been animated yet. So that might have caused some issues humor wise too. KonoSuba's setting definitely has more to it than it may first appear, but that's going into spoiler territory and I don't think the anime will actually cover it.

Well sorry for that little spiel, but once again I really do hope you do give KonoSuba a decent try. Out of the literal hundreds of series I've been reading over the last two years KonoSuba's novels were some of the most fun I've had in a long time. And I feel like it would be to you if you would give it a shot.

If you guys have any questions about the series I can easily answer. Anything you're confused about, or the like.

EDIT: Oh and about Kazuma's supposedly high luck. Note that luck by itself is a neutral term. It is simply about the probability of something unlikely becoming more likely to happen to you. Once again, in the lines of a Tabletop RPG, this means that both good and bad things (bad more often than not) will occur to you to an absurd degree. Other than that it doesn't really affect much besides CRIT chances or the like. As for INT, well it's barely above average, he's just kind of crafty.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Hollownerox wrote:
This is something I really need to point out, it is not an RPG setting like SAO was trying (imo did a poor job at) to be. It is more of a Tabletop Roleplaying game along the lines of Dungeon and Dragon. Trying to see it as a parody of videogames would easily make the humor fall flat because that's not what it is trying to be. Though it is also the case that the series is a parody of a genre that hasn't actually been animated yet.

Oh, it's been around far longer than you might think; see Record of Lodoss War for the most prominent (though hardly only) example. Also, a fair number of the fantasy MMO parodies would apply just as well to tabletop RPGs, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hollownerox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hollownerox wrote:
This is something I really need to point out, it is not an RPG setting like SAO was trying (imo did a poor job at) to be. It is more of a Tabletop Roleplaying game along the lines of Dungeon and Dragon. Trying to see it as a parody of videogames would easily make the humor fall flat because that's not what it is trying to be. Though it is also the case that the series is a parody of a genre that hasn't actually been animated yet.

Oh, it's been around far longer than you might think; see Record of Lodoss War for the most prominent (though hardly only) example. Also, a fair number of the fantasy MMO parodies would apply just as well to tabletop RPGs, too.

I wasn't referring to that actually. KonoSuba is specifically a parody of the "reincarnation/transportation" genre that has been seeing a massive surge in Light Novels. But it hasn't actually been in an anime series yet until this season, which is odd to have the parody work of that genre being one of the first ones to be animated but KonoSuba is arguably one of the most popular (consistently being in the top 20 LNs).

The only other animated Reincarnation series is Grimgar, which is also this season.

As for the Tabletop thing, what I meant specifically is that there were criticism towards KonoSuba for "half-assing" a videogame setting when it wasn't one to begin with. And MMO style RPGs and the ones you play with a group in real life have quite a few differences. So a lot of the standards people may have from watching stuff like SAO or Log Horizon shouldn't really be applied to this series.

Kazuma's party for example feels less like the hijinks of a party in a MMO, and more like a bunch of dysfunctional people completely ruining any and all plans they DM laid out for them. Even the way the stats and skill system works differs quite a bit.

Though I do understand what you're saying.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Hollownerox wrote:
The only other animated Reincarnation series is Grimgar, which is also this season.

If you know this to be absolute fact then this is a massive spoiler which needs to be tagged, as such is only speculation in that series at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
KONOSUBA Ep02 was about three times as funny as Ep01. I really hope someone adds it to the weekly review list.
EMILY SATTRUKALSINGHE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
I thought that as well. The art looked good so i decided to watch. it didn't start of with a bang but i guess it was interesting.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
In posting to this thread I was made aware that ANN wasn't going to review shorts, but I am here to request (mods) that you guys might seriously reconsider this, give the "explosion" of shorts this season and especially for one in particular that I find review-worthy, Tabimachi Late Show. I have seen some of the other shorts this season and while some are approaching drivel, TLS is the equivalent of a short story anthology that gets connected in the last episode "Clover". Each story is simple but contains much subtlety and each has managed to touch my heart in a surprising way. I know it isn't even truly animated as it is done as a collection of stills with fades, but I think that even adds to the impact of the storytelling. If anyone reads this, you should watch TLS to the end and I hope you agree with me that it is a standout good show.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
This season has left me...cold.

What anime I have liked have been phenomenal (Erased and show's-name-is-too-hard-to-rmember-so-I'll-call-it Rakugo), I am amazed at how much of it I found easy to abandon. Hey, that's better for me. I have anime to catch up on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 29 of 29