• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dagashi Kashi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I liked Episode 5, it had lots of cute bits and it's always fun to see Hotaru lose.

Also I've been rewatching the show to hear the broadcast dub and I'm liking that, the dub voices are fun and Tabitha Ray is a really catchy Hotaru

irfanf wrote:
Quote:
It's hard to feel upset with Dagashi Kashi.

Youtube's broken Content ID and Fair Use REALLY makes anime reviewer disagree on that

Haruhi is talking about the show being part educational material and part comedy, critiquing it can be difficult.

Please don't bring you random YouTube Content ID crusade into it for no reason, that's not what was being discussed. We're here to talk about the show, not to discuss Content ID matches on YouTube reviewers, and if you dislike a show because a company had a video of it taken down you need to grow up and understand how the business world works.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Um...Nick, I believe her "weird dance" was a rhythmic gymnastics routine. I can name three anime with it off the top of my head: Ranma 1/2, Photokano, Girlfriend Beta. At least the last two I can understand if you didn't see.

I would agree it is more a warm fuzzy slice of life comedy than a laugh a minute one (or second in the case of some shorts). It certainly isn't in the top of that genre (Barakamon as you mentioned or Non Non Biyori) but it is still good.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You got the feeling that Hotaru was essentially raised by dagashi in the way many kids are raised by television, a nice bit of understated storytelling.

That's an interesting comment because before I read the review I was thinking that Hotaru seems like she's never been around other kids her age very much before, which is why she so craves their attention and companionship. I'd really like to see more of her backstory.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Also I've been rewatching the show to hear the broadcast dub and I'm liking that, the dub voices are fun and Tabitha Ray is a really catchy Hotaru.

Definitely. I LOVE Tabitha Ray as Hotaru. I eagerly wait for the new dubbed episodes just to hear more of her! Sara Ragsdale as Saya is also really cute, especially during the Menko card scene in episode 2. She sounded really enthusiastic when she won. Smile
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I basically watch Dagashi for the same reason I watched Non Non Biyori -- its warm. That's the best way I can describe the two series. Sure, I laugh at some of subtle comedy (For example, in this episode, I found it really funny how Coconuts-uuu landed on To when diving for the torn candy), but I mainly just watch it for the interaction between the few characters. Favorite part of the episode was the transition between Saya's childhood blush and her current self burying her face in her knees. I particularly enjoyed how Saya's eyes shrunk when she came to after she fell alongside Coco. I'm a sucker for those small details in the anime I watch.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Whether it hits the mark or not Dagashi Kashi is 1 of the few shows I look forward to watching this season. Maybe it's just me but I wish the animators would push the "sex sells" envelop just a little further rather than continually reverting back to safety each episode. Hotaru was fabulous in Episode 6 with that twirly snake dance lead into, oh no, another pitch. There is plenty of wry wit in this show educating a foreign layman like myself about the wiles of Japanese confectionery candy without boring me to tears. This show's subtleties remind me of Polar Bear Cafe. Wish there were more anime series out there to view like this one has the potential to be. It's still a hoot.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6 review wrote:
Saya was interested in Kokonotsu himself, and her very middle school attempts to get him to “play doctor” felt like a believable younger articulation of her current feelings.

Minor nit: they were in 3rd grade ("almost 4th grade") when that happened. Saya really wanted to be "examined" and Kokonotsu didn't have a clue. Something similar happened to me at about that age so for me the episode was kind of a recall to a simpler and much more innocent time.

When she realized that Kokonotsu remembered that: way cute.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Ep 7:

What -- I am writing adjacent posts over seven days? I would have thought this anime might have generated more comments. Although Nick's reviews are thorough enough that I suppose nobody has much to add.

Although Kokonotsu typically isn't aware of Saya's feelings I was pleased to see that he at least had the grace enough to complement her on her yukata. I have mixed feelings about those two pairing up. They are both cute critters but have very little in the way of personality outside of that. Saya is a family restaurant waitress and Kokonotsu at least has an interest in becoming a manga author but instead will be a sleepy shopkeeper for the rest of his life. Without Hotaru around the both of them are quite nice but quite boring people.

As for Hotaru she is so obsessed with her raison d'être that I get the feeling that if someone made a pass at her she just wouldn't get it. Then offer them some snack.

So I agree this anime doesn't seem to have romance in store. But at least it is fun enough.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Ep 7:

What -- I am writing adjacent posts over seven days? I would have thought this anime might have generated more comments. Although Nick's reviews are thorough enough that I suppose nobody has much to add.

Although Kokonotsu typically isn't aware of Saya's feelings I was pleased to see that he at least had the grace enough to complement her on her yukata. I have mixed feelings about those two pairing up. They are both cute critters but have very little in the way of personality outside of that. Saya is a family restaurant waitress and Kokonotsu at least has an interest in becoming a manga author but instead will be a sleepy shopkeeper for the rest of his life. Without Hotaru around the both of them are quite nice but quite boring people.

As for Hotaru she is so obsessed with her raison d'être that I get the feeling that if someone made a pass at her she just wouldn't get it. Then offer them some snack.

So I agree this anime doesn't seem to have romance in store. But at least it is fun enough.

I was considering nitpicking Nicks referring to her yukata as a kimono, which, while not precisely correct, is probably close enough.

I think its nature makes it less likely to comment. It is more a warm fuzzy slice of life than anything as mentioned by others, so almost by definition does nothing polarizing nor anything that someone could make polarizing comments about. That same focus on warm fuzzy slice of life also supersedes the comedy element so you do get much joke highlight reel in comments. There doesn't seem to be much complicated plot beats that reviewers could get confused by and be corrected by commenters.

The reviews cover most of what is to be said of it as well. And it is fairly consistent in quality, both in animation and writing, preventing much shit talking and subsequent defenses.

As to the romance, I don't think it lacks or is uninterested in romance. What it lacks is progress in the romance as mentioned by the reviewer. And this is really an effect of the genre as well. Romance is not the main focus so it is not as important to steadily build up the relationships. And they probably don't want to put all their chips in one ship so as not to offend the other shippers, so they don't progress any of them, very much at least. Some cute moments like this one and the last one usually is the most they go for. Plus if it's ongoing, the manga would probably put much of the romantic progression, if any, towards the end, i.e. not in the segment adapted in the anime. Some of that could be intentional business strategy like "You want to see how the romance works out? Buy the manga" though it may just be their preferred strategy of back loading development to the end to keep all shippers.

As to Saya x Kokonutsu, yeah they probably would be a boring couple but in their defense, most people are too, hopefully not to their spouses of course. I think Saya shippers are more interested in her cute reactions to Kokonotsu and stuff like remembering playing doctor with Kokonotsu and realizing he remembered too. Hotaru is in love with Dagashi and said as much in the first ep. Hotaru shippers probably take a more personal taste approach anyways, or consider that Kokonotsu seems to be taken by her, though more appearance than personality. Either way, with Kokonotsu's thick headedness and Hotaru's snack fixation, there's no progress in sight, but that's fine.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:34 am Reply with quote
This week's episode was good, i especially like the beginning part with Kokonatsu and the truck, i remember being little and asking my dad if i could sit in the bed of his pickup, (He always said no). So that part was special cause it reminded me of my childhood.

Also the part at the beginning with the other woman and Yo getting in a "Fight" over their stands only to go party afterward was great. She had a very Saya look about her so at first i thought she might be Saya and Tou's Mom but than I figured they were just going for some analogy where she was meant to represent Saya and the Dad was supposed to be Kokonatsu.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
This week's episode was good, i especially like the beginning part with Kokonatsu and the truck, i remember being little and asking my dad if i could sit in the bed of his pickup, (He always said no). So that part was special cause it reminded me of my childhood.

Your dad was no fun. Mine let me and my brothers sit in the back of his truck a number of times. Probably for the best as Kokonotsu found out.
bastek66

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Terrible adaptation and director is biased sayafan, he skipped whole one of 4 festival chapters and filled episode with boring fillers. Overall that moron left out 30 chapters, best chapters.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
bastek66 wrote:
Terrible adaptation and director is biased sayafan, he skipped whole one of 4 festival chapters and filled episode with boring fillers. Overall that moron left out 30 chapters, best chapters.

I'll have to take you word on the quality of original source versus the animation, unless anyone else has read it and has an opinion on it (Please come out of the woodwork). I suspect many people here won't agree with you saying it is a poor adaptation, or the material of last ep was boring, and whatever else you were saying. Yes the director skipped some stuff, they all do. I suspect as well that disrespecting the director does not strengthen your argument or generate sympathy for it from those who disagree.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
bastek66 wrote:

I'll have to take you word on the quality of original source versus the animation, unless anyone else has read it and has an opinion on it (Please come out of the woodwork). I suspect many people here won't agree with you saying it is a poor adaptation, or the material of last ep was boring, and whatever else you were saying. Yes the director skipped some stuff, they all do. I suspect as well that disrespecting the director does not strengthen your argument or generate sympathy for it from those who disagree.

Yes they've skipped some chapters, but that's because they're trying to make each episode a tied together story with the first half melding with the second half.

Example: They skipped a chapter when Coconuts and his Dad are stranded on a rock in the ocean, it's mostly irrelevant and the only thing it tells us is that the Mom left Yo because he was a loser, something that can be tied in elsewhere very easily.

Overall when you're trying to adapt a manga that has 8 page chapters stuff is going to get cut for being irrelevant or to difficult to adapt into motion. There are chapters that are just Hotaru telling stories, no jokes, no motion, just her talking about a candy's actual origins.

Overall this adaptation is fine and good.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
I found this episode pretty fun, especially the part contrasting what Saya and Hataru think is funny.

While Saya is getting offended by poop jokes she tells Hotaru to act like a proper young lady. I found it interesting because Hotaru dresses far fancier and more lady like than Saya does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6