• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash [2016-01-18]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
My anime experience tells me that this 'Dark Spot' beastie is this season's Big Boss Guy. However, this show sticks it to conventions as much as it sticks to them, so whether that actually happens or not is up in the air.

Hey, if we got an OP visual change, why not one for the ED? We got some new watercolors in the new OP, after all.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
There are some really nice details that actually had me figure out Mary a bit before the show says it. A common thread in what Mary refused to talk about would be in setting expectations of what she can do, which to the team could be seen as inviting failure. The truth was that she clearly did not want them to know exactly what she can do so that they would rely on her too much, and possibly she would be unable to meet those expectations. The episode was actually pretty big on this point, like how there was some focus on Moguzo is relied on and that he should get a helmet, and also that Haruhiro is being relied on now as the leader. The answer to the problem is clearly not silence, but for the group to communicate the limits that someone can be relied on and have some faith.

The second was that I noticed that Mary was sticking really close to Shihoru. Some thought might be that she is being a bit of a coward in sticking with someone who has to stay back when we saw Manato could move back. What we really see is that she is actually somewhat capable at some close range, and her sticking close to Shihoru was actually being able to support her if someone came in close and Shihoru was unprotected. Mary was actually doing what she thought was best to protect them.

And while it can seem cold that she does not welcome them openly and join them, the girls kind of had it right. I have some pretty bad social skills myself, it has made interacting with people pretty difficult and ending up as an outcast. When you are isolated you feel that you cannot just invite yourself into a group, you feel that acting too friendly will leave you feeling exposed and a bother to those people. That kind of anxiety leaves you just to walk past that group of people you might know that don't really welcome you first, and you sit by yourself, even if you would have loved to be included in something. Entering into a situation where people are hostile to you can feel even worse than the lonely isolation.
sharkjack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:18 am Reply with quote
I really like the subtle touches of the group dynamic starting to solidify, with Moguzo finally getting a dig in at Ranta, the girls going out to drink with the guys, Chihiru getting more lines and a nice team attack between Haru and Moguzo. It also helps that just about everyone is together most of the time now, so we don' t get the long relatively silent scenes between one or two characters as much.

The bit where the girls try to talk to Mary was just painful, in a good way. When someone answers "What did you eat this morning?" With "Food." with no hint of it being a joke You know you've got your work cut out for you.

Still, I feel like we could have had an episode more worth of stuff by now if they'd been a little more conservative with letting scenes drag on. We've missed quite a bit of the action (they refer to stuff we haven't seen all the time, which is fine for a novel but we already get so little of certain characters) and it would've been nice to see a little more of that.

I saw Mary's bit coming, although I thought it would be a complete party wipe (besides her of course). I like how she still people from her original party, because that also helps ground her as a person with ties that stretch beyond the party. When you're already not great at being social, and you have people you're comfortable with, taking the leap with a new group can be extra daunting (and that isn't counting the real tragedy of what she's been through, and is dealing with).

Still, I wasn't quite on board with how flat out she rejected telling the party how she saw her role. She was upfront with her opinions of how to be a healer before (what with her sassing Ranta (for which I'm very grateful)) She could've said something like. I only heal from cover and out of battle.

I also thought it was weird how she flat out lied about her abilities with the staff but it wasn't brought up at all. Now that could still be dealt with, as Haru only started to become aware of what the rest of the party was doing this episode, and getting Moguzo a helmet and getting to understand Mary took priority.

I really don't want this series to end with 13 episodes, so I'm hoping for a sequel to be announced at the end.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I just got into this series a day or two ago and I am loving it and Rebecca's reviews. (I actually only started because I accidentally spoiled for myself in an episode 5 review that Manato died. Writers brave enough to kill off main characters are usually good). Like sharkjack and others said, I like how the group is slowly and subtly coming together and not powerhousing it like Renji's group. The girls coming with them to the bar, Haruhiro noticing Moguzo lacking a helmet, things like that. Also Moguzo and Shihiro are actually talking now! They barely said anything in the first three episodes!
As for the dynamic with Mary, her backstory makes sense. It did not really feel too original, but given that she's a Volunteer Soldier it is consistent with their world. I'm glad they're opening up to her, but I do feel that the group has to be stricter with her when it comes to battle arrangements. They can't force her to be friends, but they should be demanding when it comes to life-or-death battles.
Also kinda off topic but I wonder when we're going to see Renji's group. Out the twelve amnesiac characters from the beginning, Renji seemed to have nabbed the stronger half. I wonder how his group fights.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I also think that it's nice the story stick the realistic side of anime and still has the death of a main party member on everybody's mind unlike other anime where everybody's thinking about them one episode and then three episodes later its like they never existed Neutral
And it's good to see that the party members are looking like they're getting more experienced with their weapons and skills (Haruhiro managed to pull off that back stab quite swiftly and even though it didn't hit this time, Shihoru's magic is looking like it would deal a lot of damage to the target).
Even so Mary is still looking quite unsociable and although this time she agrees to heal Moguzo's head wound (who I'm surprised was looking so unfazed even though it looked like a lot of blood was flowing out), she still refuses to join the rest of party for a meal even though this time she was actually invited.
Well at least now we know the reason for why that is, just like in Haruhiro's party, after some time her party grew more confident (perhaps too confident) and they also took the healer's abilities for granted so they tried to take out an enemy and most of the party got taken out except Mary and another member.
I think the reason why Mary refuses the heal her party members now is because she worried about suddenly getting into a critical situation and her party members dying again (and also I think she might partly blame herself for letting that happen in the first place).
I like the little chat the Haruhiro had with Manato (at least mentally) and I'm happy his decided to face up to the task Manato gave him as his dying wish of being the new leader of the party and is really thinking about it instead of hiding away from his responsibilities and that the boys have started to open up to Shihoru and Yume about various things and are inviting them to spend time out as well.
So all in all I think that was a pretty nice episode and I can't wait for the next one, (also I'm curious about Ranta's 'Dark Vice' and what dark powers it can summon up Twisted Evil )
And yeah I also prefer the first version of the opening theme song then the new one.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
SnowyLightning44 wrote:

I think the reason why Mary refuses the heal her party members now is because she worried about suddenly getting into a critical situation and her party members dying again (and also I think she might partly blame herself for letting that happen in the first place).

Rather than worry, I think it was just that she learned. She (and Manato) started out doing the beginner thing of keeping the hp bars topped off, but constantly over healing like that just wastes mana. A large part of the combat in this series is to show them learning how to best play their classes.

I do think the reason she is intentionally unsociable is because she is worried that at some point she might watch them die like her other party, but I don't think her being conservative with healing is because of worry.
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[6eps to go and somebody gotta bite the dust, i know who but lets see if its ep 7 or 8 this happens. we are likely to get s2 for this.]

Healers and Tanks get the worst jobs in a party and have to do more stuff than other classes
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
^ I've read the first two books and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Ep 6:
I liked how the team started relying more on each other and becoming a real team. Even Mary started to open up the tiniest bit. This will serve them better in the long run than a new strong leader because they each need more confidence and drive.
#Marc123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

Ep 6:
I liked how the team started relying more on each other and becoming a real team. Even Mary started to open up the tiniest bit. This will serve them better in the long run than a new strong leader because they each need more confidence and drive.

Could you tell me where you bought the light novels with English translation?
#Marc123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Omg I [expletive] love this series! I would like to have more anime like this one.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
#849231 wrote:
sunflower wrote:

Ep 6:

Could you tell me where you bought the light novels with English translation?

There's a fan who's been translating it and I've been reading their effort.
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Very good anime so far, I hope they become a great party.
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

Ep 6:

if you wanna know that badly ill tell you who bites the dust next, if not leave spoiler part untouched
spoiler[ Moguzo dies and he's replaced by Kuzaku]
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
LightningZangetsu27 wrote:

if you wanna know that badly ill tell you who bites the dust next, if not leave spoiler part untouched .....

That doesn't happen in the first 2 books, so how on earth would it be in the next couple of episodes?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Loved episode 7; the rock song montage accompanying Mary's slow integration into the party and the party's own slow reconstruction was moving, especially after the rainy soliloquies of the first half. Opposite to Rebecca, this kind of melancholy character work is exactly my kind of thing, and as such I continue to be delightfully surprised by this show.

Ranta having that moment of admitted insecurity was really important for preventing his character from becoming an uninteresting caricature and gimmick in which it's impossible to invest. I think the show would benefit from more incidental character interactions a la the conversation on cooking between Mogozu and Haruhiro earlier in the show. We're privy to a lot of critical moments for the dynamic of the party, but not to a lot about each individual personality. Regardless, I'm going to miss this show when it's over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 19