• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Least favorite adaptations of manga / light novels?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
Both versions of 'Yu-Gi-Oh!:" They both have their issues, but I'll start with Duel Monsters. I personally found the first seven volumes of the YGO manga to be the best stories for the series. I honestly felt like it started to go downhill once it became focused on the trading card game. I liked the premise of the series changing games every story. They also never explain Yami Yugi's change in character. In the first few volumes, he was violent towards his foes to the point of being downright sadistic. That would have made for an interesting story, with Yugi finding out someone has been possessing him to either kill people or destroy their minds and would challenge Yami to a Shadow Game for his freedom. Instead, after the Death-T Arc, Yami is suddenly not psychotic anymore. The Duel Monsters anime skips everything about the first seven volumes of the manga, save for Yugi and Kaiba's duel during the Death-T Arc. It also either cuts out or glosses over the development of Yugi's friends. Season Zero retained the darker elements of the original manga, but it suffered from crappy animation, weak voice acting, and watering down the Shadow Games. The only thing I thought Season Zero did better was that Megumi Ogata was a better voice for Yugi and Yami than Shunsuke Kazama. She really captured Yugi's shy and timid demeanor and Yami's creepiness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2