• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KonoSuba – God's blessing on this wonderful world!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarethXL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah second season!!

full spoiler skip unless you've read vol7 and 8 or just don't care
spoiler[
basically chris is eris avatar in the mortal plane whose purpose is to clean up aqua mess, due to her giving every reincarnate broken loot that although powers down in the hands of the non bonded character (who most likely died) but still can cause problems.

that's why chris is a thief a job class that is suited for reclaiming and re-purposing stuff.

and the wiki spoiler basically explains chris name origin, which isn't a lazy name made by changing the first syllable but rather it's the name of the flower that eris likes.]
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Season finale at episode 10? I guess the producers were as surprised by its popularity as everyone else, coz that's usually a sign they wanted to get it over with as cheaply & quickly as possible. Haven't heard any stories of production delays or disasters, so I assume they just weren't expecting much from it.
aifhak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Season finale at episode 10? I guess the producers were as surprised by its popularity as everyone else, coz that's usually a sign they wanted to get it over with as cheaply & quickly as possible. Haven't heard any stories of production delays or disasters, so I assume they just weren't expecting much from it.

doubt it. The LNs were already really popular even before the anime. KonoSuba really wasn't a surprise to anyone who's into LNs.
That being said, they obviously did choose the low-budget way from the beginning for a show that basicly is all out on comedy but I'm fairly sure noone was surprised by the success of it over there.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Woot woot season 2! And probably with a bigger budget too!

While the show wasn't super consistent it never dip below entertaining, wasn't expecting this (almost didn't watch it thinking it was just another LN harem) glad I did, #2 this season!
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
After last week's hit and miss comedy, this episode was amazing. I love when the comedy is based on the particular quirks of the characters, like Aqua trying to avoid responsiblity, so when it relies on cheap LNs jokes (or let Darkness be the center of the episode), it gets really boring. And this episode was all about quirks and character personalities. This was without a doubt my favorite show of the season and the one I was looking forward every week, and Aqua and Megumin really grew on my heart, especially the latter one. She's amazing!

Damn, I'll miss this show. Hopefully it gets licensed soon (Pretty hard, but Funimation? Please?)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Sure seems a bit lame for Kazuma to call Aqua a "useless goddess" right after she summoned enough holy power that could break the barrier nobody else could break. And they wouldn't have won without it.

I thought this episode was pretty funny overall but I think it is high time for them to introduce some new jokes.
Rensie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
A great and fun serie, can't wait for season 2.
crx07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:30 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Sure seems a bit lame for Kazuma to call Aqua a "useless goddess" right after she summoned enough holy power that could break the barrier nobody else could break. And they wouldn't have won without it.

Kazuma didn't call Aqua "useless goddess" at that point since he is too focused on Megumin. But he did call Aqua an idiot after they stopped the Destroyer because of Aqua's early celebration and her love on cliches.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the commentary on the creation of the Destroyer left in a diary inside the machine

That easily gave me the best laugh of the week! Laughing

This was definitely the "surprise comedy hit" of the season for me, so i'm looking forward to s2.
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Credit to this show for winning me over. I never was completely satisfied with the character designs or animation, but it definitely moved beyond the "low-grade rip-off of 'Is it wrong to pickup girls in a dungeon'". It developed it's own grade of humor (much snarkier) and its own plot devices and became a decent anime.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
bwcbwc wrote:
Credit to this show for winning me over. I never was completely satisfied with the character designs or animation, but it definitely moved beyond the "low-grade rip-off of 'Is it wrong to pickup girls in a dungeon'".

I don't think that's a fair comparison, though, as DanMachi is really an entirely different series; the only commonality between the two is an underlying game mechanic-like structure. While it may have had some parody elements in it, it wasn't primarily a parody or even a comedy. It was more a coming-of-age tale, one which took its path much, much more seriously. It was also far more deeply introspective and character-oriented; for instance, there's no relationship in KonoSuba which is even remotely close to what Bell had with Hestia, or for that matter even with Lilly or Welf. (In fairness, though, Bell and Hestia is one of the great recent character dynamics.) And you can't even compare the two when it comes to awesome action scenes.

KonoSuba was a strong enough hit for me that it will probably finish the year as one of my favorite series of the year, but I think you'd have a tough path justifying that it's better than DanMachi overall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9