• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KonoSuba – God's blessing on this wonderful world!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
So it was picked up in the end, nice it's a pretty fun show that was just too late for the poll. I know I wouldn't have voted on it from the description alone. Hopefully the show will keep having joke with multiple layer of nuance cause it can't be easy writing a review for something when all you can say is "yep was pretty funny, as you know". Laughing

I went in with no expectation but its really good, animation is nothing spectacular but the writing and lead chemistry pick up the slack. Thankfully the fan service is not to annoying, there's yet to be any scene/situation whose entire purpose was just for fanservice.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
BlackPoint. wrote:
the rating for 2nd episode missing might wanna fix it

If you were referring to the poll for the second episode, that has been corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.

As for the "repeated montages," I'm not convinced that was purely a cost-cutting measure. They seemed like deliberate and meaningful visual set-ups to me.

As for thinning out background populations, that happens in more than 90% of anime at some point or another. Hardly particular to this series.

EDIT: And yes, this isn't a one-off review. I will be doing it weekly.

Yeh the poll thanks for fixing it Smile i remember seeing same problem at schwarzesmarken for ep2 aswell dunno if that was fixed later on either will check it out now^^
jaykayjk10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I wasn't even planning to check this show out, to be honest. After it got so much buzz in the Preview Guide though, I did, and it was wonderful! I thought the VRMMO setting was getting old, and it still sort of is, but man, they keep coming up with good ways to utilize it. Both Grimgar and Konosuba are very strong shows that take totally different approaches to the setting. I'm loving it!

Also happy to see it getting reviewed. Not too surprising after everyone went crazy over it being passed over, but thanks for doing this for us Theron! Smile
dont u mean "it was subarashi!"? eh? eh? ... ill see myself out...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Yep, pretty surprised how watchable the show was.
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Question: I haven't watched any "trapped in the MMO" shows, and I don't play MMOs, either (other RPGs, yes, but not the online kind). Sword Art, .Hack//, Log Horizon, Overlord, whatever, I've never seen any of them. But I'm hearing a lot of good buzz on this show from people whose tastes are generally similar to mine, so I'm wondering whether you guys think someone like me who doesn't really have much exposure to the genre would be able to enjoy this series, or is it too "meta" for the uninitiated? I did really enjoy Danmachi last year, if that means anything.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
It's almost like the KonoSuba producers realized after ep01 that there are no other good comedy anime this season, and poured all their resources into levelling up in "funny". It worked; KS is a shoe-in for best comedy right now.

I was laughing non-stop during the frog battles.

It's funny that Theron compared it to Nozaki-kun. For both these shows, I would be devastated when the end credits rolled, wondering where the last 20 minutes went, and already anticipating next week's treat.

WingKing, this show is basically a farcical version of Danmachi, and the level of RPG-nerdery is about the same.

Last edited by purplepolecat on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
There's something about the "two people that despise each other are forced to work together" trope that I love, and this one hits it out of the park, especially since they still work well together despite their mutual loathing. Their teamwork took those frogs down even if it was... unorthodox.

As for the animation, yeah it sucks but I find it kind of suits the story. This dude gets trapped in a shitty 3rd rate fantasy land so makes sense it'd have a shitty 3rd rate art, plus I get the feeling the animators are less concerned about keeping faces on model and pretty and more having fun doing doofy shit. That scene with the frog being flung around in the magical explosion with Aqua'a legs poking out of its mouth had both my husband and I both in tears we were laughing so hard.
aifhak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Question: I haven't watched any "trapped in the MMO" shows, and I don't play MMOs, either (other RPGs, yes, but not the online kind). Sword Art, .Hack//, Log Horizon, Overlord, whatever, I've never seen any of them. But I'm hearing a lot of good buzz on this show from people whose tastes are generally similar to mine, so I'm wondering whether you guys think someone like me who doesn't really have much exposure to the genre would be able to enjoy this series, or is it too "meta" for the uninitiated? I did really enjoy Danmachi last year, if that means anything.

I don't see a problem in not being knowledgeable about it tbh. It's just not very technical like Log Horizon was.

I'd just say check out ep1 and see if you like it. You'll know within 5-10 minutes if it's your kind of show or not. Comedy can be weird and there are often times when I just straight up have no idea if friends will like a certain kind of show within the comedy genre.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:

I don't think you will have any problem enjoying this show. There might be some jokes that are funnier if you have seen other MMO shows, but I don't think you will have trouble getting plenty of entertainment out of it.

jaykayjk10 wrote:
dont u mean "it was subarashi!"? eh? eh? ... ill see myself out...

Yes, yes, that is what I meant. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
I am really enjoying the show too, well I knew that I probably would just from character designs. So far I think it has done a particular good job of making fun at some of the tropes from these kind of series, of the main character being the perfect chosen one, and the girls being perfect fantasy fighters.

We see a lot of shows where the main character is a chosen one with awesome skill, but the joke here has been that his pretty average except for being a bit smart and standard lucky. You could look at Ixion Saga DT for maybe something similar, but Kazuma is not useless, despite being just average gets a handle of the situation, wants to move forward, and actually managed to kill the monsters for the quest.

Can't quite say about the third girl yet, but the two so far are a joke at the series where the male character picks up girls who are special really competent, with the fact that they are special, but oddly incompetent despite that. Aqua is a goddess, one who has been bonded to the so far average hero, but she did not get it from being so kind and nice to be asked to do so, it was because she was actually being a bit mean. And with her goddess title she continuously flipflops between different behaviours. She can think rather highly of herself and act quite dignified, but she also be a bit of a slob, enjoy normal life, end up in bad situations from her own actions, and look far from dignified as she starts bawling with tears.

Megumin also fits in as being both a real wizard but also a hopeless chuni, has powerful magic but also kind of not much help really. She has a ridiculous name, but it apparently a cultural part of her red eyed wizard people. She is a small girl in need of help, but she is a real liability and really trying desperately to be involved. Also back to Kazuma and Aqua, despite their rocky sort of start, it is not like they are too unfriendly to each other.

Obviously there is something wrong with Darkness. Well with how she wants to join such an awful sounding team from the recruitment poster, I am going to go with she probably takes role of blocking attacks too enthusiastically.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rensie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
I really like this adaption for now, character design is a bit off compared to the novel, i didn't recognize some characters at first, but i can accomodate to it if they keep the story as it is and don't start to inject fillers and a original ending.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:17 am Reply with quote
I enjoy the humour in this show. It seems a bit of a light novel cliché that only females want to join the MC's party, but i like that the jokes aren't really gender-specific. They'd work just as well if the characters were male. If the show manages to keep this up, it might just turn out to be my favourite comedy this season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
I was really enjoying the second episode up to the point where they dragged out the old false accusation trope. Would really like to see that retired some day soon. Though we don't know much about her yet, it felt out of character to me when she suddenly became sly and devious after being so straightforward if a bit grandiose up to that moment. The frog battles were pretty funny though.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks relyat08 and aifhak for answering my question. My seasonal list is full right now, but if/when I drop one of the shows I've already started, I'll give it a look.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
well so far the show is doing well, i was worried when DEEN was the animation house that was chosen and as expected the look is shitty but still passable, and was very disappointed when kayano ai was the CV for raratina instead of inoue marina but she did a good job in the few mins she was in.

now the only test is left in next ep with the scene where kazuma learns the strongest skill and was the whole reason i got hook on the series, i hope there execute the whole scene well.

on the positive side the scores fits well with each scene, and the transition cards that they use were superbly well done (as a part of a joke)

finally why is there no info on yunyun CV, would she even be in the show, and will hanakana continue to voice her. I NEED TO KNOW Crying or Very sad

p.s. eris, yunyun, and wiz = best girls in the series :p
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9