• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Baccano! License to Expire in February

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
People seem to be forgetting that Baccano is not a top seller anywhere. This is not a big loss for Funi, and I doubt Funi cares about it.

Actually, Baccano has been in the Top 100 anime category on Amazon for a while.
https://twitter.com/BigOnAnime/status/691975240151363585

The responses to those tweets already said what I was going to say. Using an example from a Black Friday deal is not a good argument especially since Baccano was released here back in 2009 and the only reason its up now is due to the recent news about the license.

Quote:
It does better than Deadman Wonderland for FUNimation on Hulu, and Baccano is got an Anime Classics release which meant that it sold well. If it didn't sell, it wouldn't have gotten that.

Doesn't mean much at all since DW didn't exactly heat up the charts either despite its Toonami push yet it still did better than what Baccano sold initially when it came out. Anime Classics has nothing to do with success, freaking Texhnolyze has an Anime Classics release and that sure as hell did not do well here. Everything in regards to Baccano shows that Funi loved working on the show and knew it was never going to be a top seller for them but they still pushed it with cheaper releases hoping it'll catch on to mainstream audiences but it never did and only stayed within its niche.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure FUNimation would have loved to have been able to renew it. This is kinda a big loss for them.

Its not. Darker than Black was a bigger loss for them since that actually did well and given prospects for the franchise are forever in limbo it was the right call to let it go, Baccano was a pet project they loved working on but it didn't make revenue hence why they never sought after Durarara before Aniplex came into the USA market and since its NEVER getting a continuation due to how badly it sold in Japan its definitely not a big loss.
One-Eye wrote:
XChampion wrote:
Baccano is a pretty old show and It never really sold that well for funimation on dvd or for AoA's limited edition bluray either. I dont think funimation is going to miss it and AoA wont release it again for a while. I mean the LE and regular edition bluray they released several years ago only got one print to begin with and it took a few years to sell out anyway.

AoA first released the LE which sold out in less than a year and after it sold out they released a standard edition which I believe took about a year and a half to sell out. This was after them stating that the LE was getting a limited run and once it sold out there wouldn't be anymore. I don't think they would release a standard edition if the first one sold poorly. The SE did end up on an RS xmas sale (if I recall correctly) at about $10 cheaper and then soon sold out a month or two later. So it really didn't take a few years to sell out. They said it would be a limited run, it did well enough to get a second standard edition and that was that.

This is the same nonsense TMfanboys say whenever Garden of Sinners get brought up. Selling out within a limited shipment doesn't mean much of anything especially when something like SAO can sell over 5000 copies per set alone and at a faster rate. Baccano alone didn't even have half the amount of shipment of SAO and might have been lower than Garden of Sinners (400 copies) and even then it still took a long time to sell out (GoS were sold out less than a month) so once again as the AoA model has proven time and time again hardcore fanboys are willing to shill out for something they love it doesn't mean that its breaking out of its niche.

DmonHiro wrote:
People seem to be forgetting that Baccano is not a top seller anywhere. This is not a big loss for Funi, and I doubt Funi cares about it.
Quote:
It doesn't have to be a top seller for them to make money off it. Its just one less show they could be streaming which is reduces their library. I'm sure there would still be people picking up the show on DVD in the long run, yea not a ton of people but some money is better than no money. Is it a tremendous loss like say if they lost FMA? No, but its still a loss even if its a minor one.

The problem is you guys are acting as if Baccano was some sleeper hit when it really wasn't, it sold well within its niche of a niche which is a fraction of anime fandom as a whole. Funi knew it wasn't a big hit, AoA knew it wasn't a big hit so why say otherwise? Its a personal loss but as far as business goes it means nothing.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
That is a shame, an amazing series and one of my all time favorites. Hopefully aniplex will at least put up streams for newcomers.
Personally, I replaced my funi DVD with the Japanese Blu-Ray a while back. It has the English dub and subs and the quality is above and beyond. I know this is not feasible for everyone but you can still buy it from Amazon Japan.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
Once I found out hte license was expiring, I ordered it from Amazon. Phew! I really love this show, but I refuse to pay Aniplex prices if there's a cheaper set available now, so I got it.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
Bought this for Christmas a few years back. So happy I did. I love this series and thought it was very well done. Dang it Funimation stop letting all the good old shows licenses expire. Anime cry
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
Percival King wrote:
Anime is a dying market in the west, and Aniplex is dead-set on being the one to bury it.

Not really. More shows are being licensed than ever, simulcasts are considered the norm and Funimation started doing broadcast dubs. Those are not the signs of a dying market.
Thank you, someone with a brain. Or a few days we get some licenses expire, a common thing to happen. And suddenly everyone is claiming the indsurty will die and it is all Aniplexs fault.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
First Darker Than Black and now Baccano?! I still never had a chance in checking it out yet but I keep hearing a lot of good things about it.

I am going to check if there's any copies left because I refuse to pay Aniplex those ridiculous prices!
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:

This is the same nonsense TMfanboys say whenever Garden of Sinners get brought up. Selling out within a limited shipment doesn't mean much of anything especially when something like SAO can sell over 5000 copies per set alone and at a faster rate. Baccano alone didn't even have half the amount of shipment of SAO and might have been lower than Garden of Sinners (400 copies) and even then it still took a long time to sell out (GoS were sold out less than a month) so once again as the AoA model has proven time and time again hardcore fanboys are willing to shill out for something they love it doesn't mean that its breaking out of its niche.
Uhh, I think you are taking your ire with fanboys out on the wrong person here and you seem to have misunderstood what I said. If they weren't going to make money off it then why bother to release it on LE? They are not in the business of charity. They released it and obviously it met their numbers and it was enough to warrant them then going back and releasing a standard edition. That hardly sounds like a failure for AoA. It doesn't have to sell like SAO to meet their numbers, nor does it have to sell out during pre-orders. Now just because the LE in particular sold well does that mean that the show in general was an unqualified hit or success? No and I never said it was. What I did say is that it sold pretty well for them. Maybe the SE didn't sell nearly as well, but there was no stock languishing in warehouses for years as some people keep trying to imply.

Quote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Quote:
It doesn't have to be a top seller for them to make money off it. Its just one less show they could be streaming which is reduces their library. I'm sure there would still be people picking up the show on DVD in the long run, yea not a ton of people but some money is better than no money. Is it a tremendous loss like say if they lost FMA? No, but its still a loss even if its a minor one.
The problem is you guys are acting as if Baccano was some sleeper hit when it really wasn't, it sold well within its niche of a niche which is a fraction of anime fandom as a whole. Funi knew it wasn't a big hit, AoA knew it wasn't a big hit so why say otherwise? Its a personal loss but as far as business goes it means nothing.
I never said it was a big hit, but at least you agree that it was a loss and like I said its not a "tremendous loss" so yea the company is not going to go under but I never made it out that way. Also its nice to have stuff in your streaming service, no? So its still a loss even if its minor. And its possible that this is a trend (I'm not a 100% sold on that but its possible) which yea might impact business (that's what some people seem to be panicking about).
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Geez, I was waiting to pick it up until a good sale...looks like my chance is now or never.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Well im not surprised by this but I should get it before those jerks at AoA go with the pirce hike
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
And of course Aniplex has it now. Glad I got my copy when I did. Really enjoyed it.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Baccano expires on Hulu the same day as it does on FUNimation's site: February 8th
https://twitter.com/WTK/status/692103947323117568
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
XChampion wrote:
Baccano is a pretty old show and It never really sold that well for funimation on dvd or for AoA's limited edition bluray either. I dont think funimation is going to miss it and AoA wont release it again for a while. I mean the LE and regular edition bluray they released several years ago only got one print to begin with and it took a few years to sell out anyway.
More like it did sell. Looking through this thread....
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?846-Baccano!&p=67456&viewfull=1#post67456

The LE didn't even last a year, it came out May 2011 and sold out before February 2012. The RE meanwhile...
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?846-Baccano!&p=224789&viewfull=1#post224789

That sold out a month or two later, and they released that in late July 2012. It lasted about 1.5 years, that is quicker than your usual FUNimation LE which takes 2-3+ years to become hard to find.
Black Thunder 6 wrote:
The responses to those tweets already said what I was going to say. Using an example from a Black Friday deal is not a good argument especially since Baccano was released here back in 2009 and the only reason its up now is due to the recent news about the license.
Okay, here's a more recent example, 9,000's in April 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20150424025736/http://www.amazon.com/Baccano-Complete-Series-Viridian-Collection/dp/B0043988G2

By comparison, something like say the Noein RE (Which is selling better than the LE on Amazon) is ranking in the 20,000's on Amazon, and that's a recent FUNimation release.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0146626ZU/

The Railgun S Blu-ray atm, another recent FUNimation release is in the 5,000's, or #82 for best-selling anime BD's.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01711CI7S/

So Baccano! isn't that quite far despite being out for so long, and Amazon has been selling it for that exact same price of $26 it seems for years with no changes.
Quote:
Doesn't mean much at all since DW didn't exactly heat up the charts either despite its Toonami push yet it still did better than what Baccano sold initially when it came out. Anime Classics has nothing to do with success, freaking Texhnolyze has an Anime Classics release and that sure as hell did not do well here. Everything in regards to Baccano shows that Funi loved working on the show and knew it was never going to be a top seller for them but they still pushed it with cheaper releases hoping it'll catch on to mainstream audiences but it never did and only stayed within its niche.
Deadman Wonderland did, and still lights up the charts.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JKT4E5E/
Currently in the 3,500's, or, #63 for anime BD's on Amazon atm.

The DVD LE didn't even last a year, which is still an extreme rarity for FUNimation LE's (And I should know, I've been stalking this thread for years).
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?6508-Deadman-Wonderland&p=192946&viewfull=1#post192946

The reason why Texhnolyze is on Anime Classics was because FUNimation uses that line not just for best-sellers, but series with strong fan feedback, and they felt it was that. Many of those Geneon titles they were finally able to put out in late 2012 went straight to that line. Meanwhile that's not the case for Deadman Wonderland or Baccano!. Baccano! had its Viridian Collection rebranded as Anime Classics years ago due to its continued success, and Deadman Wonderland did rather well for FUNi, so when they finally could re-release it on Blu-ray (After paying for their mistake that pissed off Kadokawa), they put it on Anime Classics instead of S.A.V.E. FUNimation is going to miss Baccano! a good amount, and the DVD's will go up in price so much you'll be able to import the OOP Japanese Blu-ray Box for less than that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:00 am Reply with quote
Darn. The show was pretty good, but I've been too lazy to buy it. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and finally get it while it's affordable.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is just the start of Aniplex USA trying to get all their shows back under their own roof, that way they can start gouging us even more because they think American anime fans will enjoy paying out the rear for anime like the Japanese do.

Now that I have all my extraneous bills paid off I need to start collecting some things while they're still affordable. I've been too broke for the last two years to buy anime even at the regular prices it's being sold at by Funi, etc.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This was one of the last shows to come out in singles from Funimation. Darker than Black and Claymore came out as singles in a similar time frame, and I can't remember which was released last, but this show comes from the end of an era.

Well, I picked up the singles for Baccano when it came out and picked it up on Blu-ray when Aniplex released it, so I'm in no danger of not having this show, but I'd highly recommend that anyone who hasn't gotten this yet do so before it disappears - with the one caveat that this show is pretty violent in a few places - in some cases including gore in addition to copious amounts of blood (which is really a shame given how fantastic the non-violent parts are).

I just wish that they'd actually adapt more of the novels - though I'd hate to see a different dub cast on this if we got another season (especially for Isaac or Miriam), and with how Aniplex has been acting, I'm not sure that Funimation would be able to get their hands on a second season. But since no such season has been announced, there isn't much point in worrying about it at this point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4