• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, January 18-24 [2016-01-26]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Bugypad wrote:
Only a bit more than 3,000 for Little Witch Academia 2? Isnt that really weak? That really bothers me. I really hoped it would be a real hit in Japan and i hoped for a series.

Well, it was financed through Kickstarter, and I'm sure a considerable number of fans already got it through that, so the 3k that they are selling now seems pretty much just like extra dough. I wouldn't call it a massive hit, but I think it's doing quite well for itself.

CrowLia wrote:

I'm saddened to see Lupin III doing badly, it's such a fantastic series, it's a shame it's not getting the appreciation it deserves. On the other hand, OPM just crossed 11K, which pleases me. I'd hoped for it to become a bigger hit, but 11K is pretty great

Does anyone know how the Italian release for Lupin part IV worked? Was it just a TV broadcast, or did they get their own physical release too? I'm also curious what the ratings for it were. I'm not thrilled with the JP sales numbers, but I feel like they might have already made a good bit of their money back through the whole Italian release. One thing that's really sad though, is looking at how many ratings each episode on Crunchyroll gets. When I marathoned the first half a couple weeks ago not a single episode was even rated into the 100s(most were around 20-40). Probably not a huge US demand for that show, unfortunately. Sad
sia298

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Nana Mizuki, I think Sound Horizon's new concert BD topped it, so it should be the one following Persona!
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Bugypad wrote:
Only a bit more than 3,000 for Little Witch Academia 2? Isnt that really weak? That really bothers me. I really hoped it would be a real hit in Japan and i hoped for a series.

Well, it was financed through Kickstarter, and I'm sure a considerable number of fans already got it through that, so the 3k that they are selling now seems pretty much just like extra dough. I wouldn't call it a massive hit, but I think it's doing quite well for itself.

CrowLia wrote:

I'm saddened to see Lupin III doing badly, it's such a fantastic series, it's a shame it's not getting the appreciation it deserves. On the other hand, OPM just crossed 11K, which pleases me. I'd hoped for it to become a bigger hit, but 11K is pretty great

Does anyone know how the Italian release for Lupin part IV worked? Was it just a TV broadcast, or did they get their own physical release too? I'm also curious what the ratings for it were. I'm not thrilled with the JP sales numbers, but I feel like they might have already made a good bit of their money back through the whole Italian release. One thing that's really sad though, is looking at how many ratings each episode on Crunchyroll gets. When I marathoned the first half a couple weeks ago not a single episode was even rated into the 100s(most were around 20-40). Probably not a huge US demand for that show, unfortunately. Sad

IMO, the numbers for LWA2 look pretty solid. It's not the type of show that would get 5k+ and its not exactly a major property, so 3k+ is good. Sale numbers in anime are not one-size-fits-all, but vary among what type of show a title is, as well as the push it may be receiving. 3-4k may be cause for confetti for one title, but an absolute letdown for another. Even 7-8k—usually impressive for most—might look disastrous if a hyped show was destined for 10k+.

As for Lupin III, as great as it has been, it is likely seen in Japan like so many big, legacy, family-attracting franchises, like the One Pieces, Narutos, and Detective Conans of the world: they bring in the eyeballs and the merchandising, but not the disc sales. It's the inverse of the anime fan/otaku- attracting titles, where success is contingent on disc sales, not so much the merchandising. What both have in common is the primary goal of fattening the coffers of the franchise itself and keeping the cash cow alive (merchandising with the former, increasing sales of adapted materials or creating brand new franchises from an original work with the latter).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Titan High school bombed real hard given the franchise it's from. I guess they overestimated the amount of money they could make from slapping the name of the newest cash cow on whatever they fancied.

It's Attack on Teen Titans Go! Laughing

Saku-dono wrote:

My biggest concern is for Love Live Movie getting that humongous amount of total buyouts. The power of those idols just baffles me to no end. 6th weeks in the market and it's already closer to Big Hero 6's total at 40 weeks,

Anime typically have big burst but short tail, so it's already sold 90% of what's it's gonna sell in total.

Ali07 wrote:

Yeah, sad to see My Love Story sales so low...

It's shoujo and mainstream-type, not late night-type, so late night-type buyers who make up most of the BD consumers aren't buying it. It doesn't have the checkmarks that late night-type buyers look for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2