• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Delay of Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Sakaguchi Reveals Mystery Artwork: The golem/monster face in the background of the artwork already had my attention when I started reading today's X Button. :D

Quote:
Sakaguchi hopes that the game in question will show up on a current system (as opposed to a mobile device, apparently)

Nice to see he still cares about console releases, at least. I know it's hyperbole, but I wonder how long it'll be until game developers in Japan say "Screw consoles!" and everyone's entire gaming library over there is relegated to their smartphones. It feels like they're eventually going to just drop console gaming entirely and go full blown mobile one day. And who knows, maybe in the distant future everyone will game in their computer-enhanced brains a la Ghost in the Shell.

The Art of Delays:

Quote:
For Mighty No. 9 and all other games, there are always bigger problems than mere delays.

Yes, thank you Todd, very well said! I think people should worry more about the quality of the final product rather than a game not being released for its intended window. You certainly don't want to play a buggy glitchy mess or something that crashes every half-second or has missing data for levels. I think that's worse than a game coming out a year later than intended. What gamers should think about is this: would you rather get a brand new game on launch day that requires numerous patches to fix the many hiccups and glitches after its release or would you rather patiently wait for a game that is far less likely to need such repairs?

I'm not saying this scenario I presented excuses delays entirely, but it's not as if delays are something new to anyone, and they're not strictly tied to video game releases for that matter. We've all experienced delays in literally all facets of life, so people should just accept that they can and will happen.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: My only obstacle lies in that I don't yet have a PS4. I just can't seem to make the console leap yet. Curses...
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
So touching the faces of family is taboo? My large Italian family would say otherwise. Is the old granny who pinches the cheeks of her grandkids one hell of a cougar, or simply being a grandma? Don't some cultures kiss friends on the cheek? Seems removing suggests that friendly contact is bad, and we wonder why we're in a culture where some people can't sit on the same couch together without the fearful implications caused by being too close. We'll never get over being such children around each other if we keep blacking out all non-intimate contact in media.

Sure this isn't exactly the pinnacle of the art form in regards to the above issue, but if you can't defend the little stuff you can't defend the big stuff either.

As for the delays, this is something we already paid for. They let us vote on what Call design to have in the game, but we can't vote about Multiplayer-at-launch? I Paid for this game already! And buyer's remorse runs deep.
xchampion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
So touching the faces of family is taboo? My large Italian family would say otherwise. Is the old granny who pinches the cheeks of her grandkids one hell of a cougar, or simply being a grandma? Don't some cultures kiss friends on the cheek? Seems removing suggests that friendly contact is bad, and we wonder why we're in a culture where some people can't sit on the same couch together without the fearful implications caused by being too close. We'll never get over being such children around each other if we keep blacking out all non-intimate contact in media.

Sure this isn't exactly the pinnacle of the art form in regards to the above issue, but if you can't defend the little stuff you can't defend the big stuff either.

If NoA can release Pokemon games with that then why can't they release a Fire Emblem game with the same feature Cool
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Todd did a piece on delayed games and didn't touch on the burgeoning catastrophe that is Star Citizen. In which people buy thousand-dollar JPEGs from a company that has no earthly idea how to manage a game-development project, all led by a developer who has made a career out of biting off more than he can chew!
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
If you want a skinship feature, the Tokimeki Memorial: Girls' Side games (1&2) have such a feature on the Nintendo DS.

And unlike the 3DS, there's no region code!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In a bout of confusing nomenclature, Super Mario Advance 4 is the Game Boy Advance version of Super Mario Bros. 3.

Actually it's the gameboy advance version of Super Mario All-Star's version of Super Mario Bros. 3, which was a reworked port of Super Mario Bros 3 on the Nes.

Quote:

It fits a Wii U controller screen nicely.

It'd also would fit nicely on the Nintendo 3DS's screen along with the rest of the GBA and SNES virtual console titles.....but alas.

Chrno2 wrote:

Oh, you should've put FFXV, Last Guardian and Rainbow Six Siege on the list.

FF15 and The Last Guardian haven't been released so what is their to talk about regarding them aside from them being in development hell? Siege is also a completely different game than it's forebear "RS Patriots" and wasn't relegated to the same fate it was.

maximilianjenus wrote:
well, atleast now we know why capcom fired inafune.

Actually he quit.

MajorZero wrote:
unless you want to experience crap like PC port of Arkham Knight.

Which was crap do to it being handled by a team markedly much different and ill equipped to handle the PC port from the ones that handled the PS4 & Xbox One ports....incidentally all versions of the game were pushed back from a fall 2014 release to a summer 2015 release....which of course didn't help the PC version.

meiam wrote:
But yeah, those scene/feature are dumb.

No more dumb than Thracia 776 having a fatigue system,pitch black fog of war, having players forcibly dismount on indoor maps, and healing staves having the ability to miss.

XChampion wrote:

If NoA can release Pokemon games with that then why can't they release a Fire Emblem game with the same feature Cool

Knowing Gamefreak they'll remove Pokemon Amie in the next game....they're good at introducing features or mechanics they'll wind up scrapping latter on down the road.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
As far delayed games go, Miyamoto's famous saying holds true. That said, I think Inafune needs to stop spreading himself so thin.

@MajorZero as the article says, the appeal for me was the innovative movement mechanics and exploring the (mostly) great environments. True, the missions and combat are pretty dull but the gravity manipulation is pretty creative , and the hub city is fun to explore. To compare, Mirror's Edge has a bad story and dull gameplay but many people liked it for the sheer fun of running and jumping off walls and buildings. As for Gravity Rush's controls, I was fine after I turned off the motion controls. Moving the screen to slide still sucks though. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to GR2 just because it sounds like it'll fix a lot of problems with the original.

Top Gun wrote:
I'm surprised Todd did a piece on delayed games and didn't touch on the burgeoning catastrophe that is Star Citizen.

My thoughts exactly. Star Citizen is shaping up to be the most bloated game I've ever seen. Every time I hear about more money being pumped into this game the more it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Chris Roberts may need to go in hiding if this game bombs. This is like Battlecruiser 3000AD all over again (for all the older folks out there).

BadNewsBlues wrote:
No more dumb than Thracia 776 having a fatigue system,pitch black fog of war, having players forcibly dismount on indoor maps, and healing staves having the ability to miss.

There's a difference between base mechanics and optional mechanics/features. You cannot turn off or skip fog of war, the fatigue system, RNG for healing staves, etc. because they're essential gameplay features that you have to deal with if you want to progress in the game. The petting minigame in Fates is optional. Unless it's been said otherwise, you can skip the petting stuff entirely and still finish the game. I think it's dumb that Nintendo took out the feature but it doesn't make the game mechanically unplayable.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

BadNewsBlues wrote:

There's a difference between base mechanics and optional mechanics/features. You cannot turn off or skip fog of war, the fatigue system, RNG for healing staves, etc. because they're essential gameplay features that you have to deal with if you want to progress in the game. The petting minigame in Fates is optional. Unless it's been said otherwise, you can skip the petting stuff entirely and still finish the game. I think it's dumb that Nintendo took out the feature but it doesn't make the game mechanically unplayable.

I'm inclined to agree, but what I think what he's implying is that there's a double standard going on in localizing Japanese games focusing on cutting out any trace of intimacy out of fear of backlash from certain "outside groups." If within an alternate universe where Thracia 776 ended up localized, none of the above mechanics would be taken out (most likely be dumbed down) because NoA doesn't detect any touchy-feely icky mechanics.

And new Neptunia. Woo! I don't care if you're IF's Ass Creed. You can never have too much Nepnep.

I don't really get why there are people that are defending Inafune's procrastination. At this point, he has used up his fans' good faith that he will release the product within the promised timeframe. For Christ's sakes, he begged them for money so he is obligated to his word. This is why I remain skeptical over crowdfunded games, not only because it's unprofessional in a business sense. Even Shenmue 3's apparent success with its own kickstarter, I still don't believe that Ys Net would fulfill everything they claim.

Last edited by Paiprince on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Fire Emblem: Too bad any decent discussion on got hijacked by idiots who are either A) those who are ignorant of censorship and obsessed with trying to act like Nintendo is in the 90s or B) those who just want to rag on FE for putting a little flair into its design and presentation due to flagging sales. It's impossible to have any actual discussion when those two camps are in the conversation

Sakaguchi: I fully expect him to do put this on a Nintendo system considering they were a lot more accommodating to him than MS was and how Sakaguchi's opinions on Sony are unknown at the moment (though he disliked them for awhile due to Kutaragi)

MMN9: Yes, it does have bigger problems than delays. Like how Inafune is working on it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
As far delayed games go, Miyamoto's famous saying holds true.

YMMV on the first part of his quote since delayed games have as bout as much potential to be terrible or underwhelming as much as a game that's either rushed or finished on schedule.

CoreSignal wrote:

There's a difference between base mechanics and optional mechanics/features. You cannot turn off or skip fog of war, the fatigue system, RNG for healing staves, etc. because they're essential gameplay features that you have to deal with if you want to progress in the game..

Hence why I cited Thracia's 776 absurd gameplay mechanics as being legitimately more dumb in comparison to If's petting minigame. Since the latter is purely optional and doesn't ruin the game unlike the former and it's ridiculous design choices.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
True, the missions and combat are pretty dull but the gravity manipulation is pretty creative , and the hub city is fun to explore. To compare, Mirror's Edge has a bad story and dull gameplay but many people liked it for the sheer fun of running and jumping off walls and buildings.

First-Person Parkour was truly innovative mechanic and it actually worked remarkably well, to the point when no one made it better till this very day. While gravity manipulation is an interesting concept it was never properly realized, not the same thing, but I think zero g in Dead Space was implemented much better.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:12 am Reply with quote
@Paiprince, I feel the same about Inafune. He spread himself too thin and now I have the feeling that everything he's working is going to be delayed. Oh well, maybe he'll figure out a way to pull it off.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
YMMV on the first part of his quote since delayed games have as bout as much potential to be terrible or underwhelming as much as a game that's either rushed or finished on schedule.

Oh, I agree. I don't think Miyamoto literally thinks that ANY delayed game will be good. In that case, we might as well push every game release back.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Hence why I cited Thracia's 776 absurd gameplay mechanics as being legitimately more dumb in comparison to If's petting minigame. Since the latter is purely optional and doesn't ruin the game unlike the former and it's ridiculous design choices.

I wasn't talking about whether the mechanics are good or bad game design, I was talking about whether the mechanics are optional or not. I'm not one of them, but there are FE fans out there who like Thracia 776.

@MajorZero, difference of opinion I guess. I thought zero g stuff in Dead Space felt more like swimming (which is more realistic) whereas in Gravity Rush it feels more like flying (more fun for me). But yeah, it's not realized very well, part of why the game gets repetitive towards the end. Although the sequel it looks like it will have both the heavier, realistic-type gravity and the quicker type from the first game.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote
I'm a backer for Mighty No. 9. I have other things to do than to sit and wait for the game to be released, and I was never all that hyped for it to begin with, so it doesn't bother me much that it's been delayed for over a year. Actually, I'm pretty used to various things from startup companies being delayed, often for WAY more than a year.

The pinball machine for The Hobbit was originally supposed to be released simultaneously with An Unexpected Journey. Then, it got delayed to The Desolation of Smaug. Then, it got delayed to Battle of Five Armies. And it's STILL not out yet, and no one knows when Jersey Jack is supposed to release it. (Jersey Jack's previous release, The Wizard of Oz, was delayed for two years, and manufacturing was so slow that some people who pre-ordered it back in 2012 STILL have not yet received it. Still, general impressions are that Oz is so good that they're willing to wait. You've got to when you've paid nine grand for it. Between these two releases, I'm astonished how patient Warner Bros. is with Jersey Jack.)

And as a Nintendo fan, I've bore the wait for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which is one of the most delayed games Nintendo's ever made, but it's been hailed as one of the best. Nintendo's approach nowadays is to not reveal release dates until it's close, but, of course, with cases like Star Fox Zero, sometimes, it can't be helped. It's better than SEGA's approach of rushing games to reach deadlines at any cost, which I believe is a major cause of the drop in quality overall of their stuff from 2004 and onwards. (Games WERE delayed during SEGA's earlier video game days though, most notably Sonic CD.)

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Knowing Gamefreak they'll remove Pokemon Amie in the next game....they're good at introducing features or mechanics they'll wind up scrapping latter on down the road.

I miss Voltorb Flip.

CoreSignal wrote:
As far delayed games go, Miyamoto's famous saying holds true. That said, I think Inafune needs to stop spreading himself so thin.

Yeah, the Inafune story is not the only one I've heard of a game developer whose answer to running low on funds is to start another project. It never ends well. They always get crushed under their own weight. When he announced Red Ash, that's when I started feeling worried about Mighty No. 9. I still have faith though.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

It comes down to why they get delayed. Ocarina of Time got delayed because there were a lot of bugs and glitches, as well as other minor details and management troubles, but the framework of the game was already set in stone and they knew what they needed to do, just that they had some setbacks. Duke Nukem Forever had no real game plan, and its endless delays were due to George Broussard wanting to put every new idea he had into the game.
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
I abhor censorship of any kind. As if the inane DLC wall and anime stereotyping prevalent for Fire Emblem Fates wasn't enough to turn me off, now we got Nintendo removing features and changing around character traits from an already expensive game. No thank you.

On the topic of delays; I remember waiting back in the summer of 1999 for Pokemon Snap, which was delayed a whole month at one point. Seems a bit silly now, but this was mid-1999, the high point of the Pokemon merchandising craze. I even went to a tournament that promoted the Pokemon Trading Card Game, which I barely even played. That and waiting a few extra days the year before when Banjo-Kazooie got a bit of a delay.

There is absolutely no excuse for Mighty No.9's delay. The game looks like a launch title PlayStation 2 game, and I cannot believe that a game that poor looking could possibly take this long to finish. A smaller team could have made a Flash game in a similar style in less time.
Ninjagai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
No amount of censorship is minor. This writer is out of their mind. I never understood why authoritarians somehow always end up gaining power.

Let people make what they want, stop meddling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4