• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Delay of Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Hence why I cited Thracia's 776 absurd gameplay mechanics as being legitimately more dumb in comparison to If's petting minigame. Since the latter is purely optional and doesn't ruin the game unlike the former and it's ridiculous design choices.

The only one I'd call stupid is healing stave missing (which only really matter early game anyway), everything else is a good addition in my book. Not quite sure what you mean by pitch black fog of war though, you can still see the map.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Todd Ciolek in the article wrote:

particularly when players could suggestively tweak the noses and pinch the cheeks of their step-siblings and blood relatives

Despite what the PC mob culture wants us all to believe; pinching noses, tweaking cheeks, tousling hair, and other non-sexual physical signs of affection are not signs of moral degeneracy or perversion.
I really can’t believe you included nose tweaking and cheek pinching as suggestive content. You might have a point if you were describing nose swallowing, or sloppy tongue licking of the cheeks.
I’ll just chalk this up to a “groupthink” type of miscalculation. Because, you were right about the other typical Japanese fan service hijinks.

one wonders why Nintendo simply couldn't restrict the flirty face-pokes to character interactions less likely to creep out the player.

It should say creep out some players. Everyone is different, at least, that is what our culture is telling us.
As to a practical reason why they didn’t, probably comes down to it costing more work and money. Every time you have to add more complexity, you run the danger of adding unforeseen bugs. Time and money would have to be spent deciding which particular character interactions would be considered inappropriate to some western players, then the actual work would have to be done, then after that there would have to be quality control checks and some play testing to ensure the changes didn’t affect the game in some way. If it did, then bug hunts and bug fixes. Much cheaper and quicker to remove the complete feature, than doing many individual changes to the supposedly problem characters.

The game's better off without that subtext…..
It's a minor edit, and it's probably for the best…..

For some players that might be true, for others I think not.
But that is the problem with bringing in cultural ideology into reviews, instead of just saying what the game has and how it plays.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
No, no, TarsTarkas... Todd Ciolek knows. We mustn't question his wisdom on these matters. He is there to tell us what is good and what is not good. What is decent and what is indecent. What is acceptable and what is unacceptable. He knows, so don't question him.

Without Todd, and people like him, we'd be left to our own devices to determine these things. And you know what? We might make the WRONG CHOICE! And if we did that, we might expose ourselves to horrific images that will scar our very souls for all eternity! And, of course, won't someone please think of the children?

So I'm okay with these bits of self-censorship that Nintendo has inflicted upon us, because Todd sagely agrees with it, and he knows.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Delays suck, yes, but I'd rather have a good delayed game than a bad rushed one. I've been waiting for No Man's Sky for three years at this point, and hearing the release date get pushed back from a tenative 2015 release to June 2016 stung, but hey, shit happens.

The real problem is that gamers are incredibly ignorant of how games are made, so any delay announcement comes with endless whining and indignation that game devs aren't robots that can pump out games with 100% efficiency. Stop. You can play other games in the meantime. Gamers love to monomaniacally look forward to one game and obsess over it so a delay makes them burn out.

Quote:
Despite what the PC mob culture wants us all to believe; pinching noses, tweaking cheeks, tousling hair, and other non-sexual physical signs of affection are not signs of moral degeneracy or perversion.

Molesting and groping fictional women, however, is mad creepy in a game that is otherwise about war.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Quote:

Molesting and groping fictional women, however, is mad creepy in a game that is otherwise about war.

That is not what he was being called out for.

As to your comment, if the war game is strictly units and numbers, like Civilization or Dune, you have a point. But if it is story and plot based, then yes, you can have the true horrors of war included.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
At this point MN9 is nothing but a Joke and insult to games funded by kick-starter. Now this may pi** some of you off but I don't care. MN9 was delayed again due multiplayer issues in this game. i don't give a f*** about online multiplayer in game that is supposed be a spiritual successor to mega-man and never will.

All I want from Infuane a decent first player experience that feels/plays like a classic mega-man/mmx game. Now is that to much to ask? Yes I am coming off as an entitled p*** here, however it's been three years since the initial kick-starter took place, stop apolgizing for him.

@chagen
You can also rub and pat the heads of Male units in Fire Emblem Fate's as well. Why do you and so many other gloss of this fact?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

The game's better off without that subtext…..
It's a minor edit, and it's probably for the best…..

For some players that might be true, for others I think not.
But that is the problem with bringing in cultural ideology into reviews, instead of just saying what the game has and how it plays.

"Games are art!"
"Let's talk about the aspects of this game that may fall short."
"Stop talking about games subjectively as if they were art!"

We can't talk about games on any level other than as technological curiosities without bringing in subjective cultural ideologies. Games aren't made in a vacuum, after all, and if you're going to imply that games don't deserve anything more than to be "just games", you're slapping more than Ciolek's face: you're insulting every person who decided to make games for a living.

Moreso than Nintendo deciding that a feature of their own game is better off not being in the International copy. I mean, heavens forbid a creator make a creative decision concerning their own game of their own volition.

As for Mighty Number 9... well, I don't want the game to fail at all. Still, it's nice for people to learn that it might not be the slap to Capcom's face they want it to be. Now, if only they'll learn that about Bloodstainedvania and that Banjo and Kazooie-revival...
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Palprince wrote:
I don't really get why there are people that are defending Inafune's procrastination.

There are people who still think MN9 is a big middle finger to Capcom. They support him purely out of hatred for the company, not knowing Capcom couldn't care less about this project and already made more money with their Megaman Legacy Collection.

Chagen46 wrote:
You don't molest anyone, and it's not limited to women. What I find most troubling about the narrative being spun around is the omission of how you can do this to all the men as well. Female gamers get the biggest shaft because they are completely ignored in this debate. I know my friend was looking forward to her tsundere Saizou

"Idiot, if you touch me like that I wont be able to hold back... or is that what you're hoping for?"

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
The real problem is that gamers are incredibly ignorant of how games are made, so any delay announcement comes with endless whining and indignation that game devs aren't robots that can pump out games with 100% efficiency. Stop. You can play other games in the meantime. Gamers love to monomaniacally look forward to one game and obsess over it so a delay makes them burn out.

Another thing is that start-up companies are particularly susceptible to delays due to a lack of firsthand experience at how long certain things will take, especially legal matters, bug fixing, and other not-so-exciting stuff. Even industry veterans have shown that, when they are in charge with no one above them, they often vastly underestimate the amount of time to get through certain steps or resolve certain issues.

As time goes by, the more vulnerable video game start-ups will become because video games will become increasingly complicated, meaning more things to keep track of, meaning more things can go wrong. And if a studio's first game is crowdfunded, they're immediately put under pressure to make the game as quickly as possible, not only to please the backers but to try to get it done within budget, whereas games like Meteos (Masahiro Sakurai's first game after leaving Nintendo) and Ivy the Kiwi? (Yuji Naka's first game after leaving SEGA) were under no time pressure.

Hence, whenever I back a crowdfunded game, or any project for that matter, I expect delays of months or years. Part of why I'm not too concerned about delays for Mighty No. 9 is because I knew it would happen. (What I didn't expect was Red Ash, which, personally, is putting the cart before the horse.)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

We can't talk about games on any level other than as technological curiosities without bringing in subjective cultural ideologies. Games aren't made in a vacuum, after all, and if you're going to imply that games don't deserve anything more than to be "just games", you're slapping more than Ciolek's face: you're insulting every person who decided to make games for a living.

Let's be real here. No game creator wants to hear some reviewer telling everyone his/her game is a creepy and will offend many. (Though if they are going for shock value, I guess that would be a positive.)

Yes, this is Todd Ciolek's review. Yes, it is his opinion. But with that said, he made declarative statements that by they very words he used carry negative connotations. More importantly he failed to use the word/letter "I" when he made them. Nor did he parse the player base. Those omissions make it seem that it is perfectly natural for everyone to be offended by the material he took exception to. And if you are the ones that don't.............

If you are going to be bringing in cultural ideology and are going to be using words that have extremely negative connotations in society, then you need to make sure that you are saying what you meant to say, and that you aren't painting with a big brush.

This is also compounded by what he said about normal family displays of affection.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Let's be real here. No game creator wants to hear some reviewer telling everyone his/her game is a creepy and will offend many. (Though if they are going for shock value, I guess that would be a positive.)

Yes, this is Todd Ciolek's review. Yes, it is his opinion. But with that said, he made declarative statements that by they very words he used carry negative connotations. More importantly he failed to use the word/letter "I" when he made them. Nor did he parse the player base. Those omissions make it seem that it is perfectly natural for everyone to be offended by the material he took exception to. And if you are the ones that don't.............

If you are going to be bringing in cultural ideology and are going to be using words that have extremely negative connotations in society, then you need to make sure that you are saying what you meant to say, and that you aren't painting with a big brush.

This is also compounded by what he said about normal family displays of affection.

Let's be real here: you don't know what you're talking about.

You're making this sound like Todd made massive mistakes as a critic/journalist by stating his own opinions and running his mouth, but the real issue is you disagreed with what he said. Your entire post is doublespeak for "Todd shouldn't say things I disagree with". So, come out and just say that so your façade of concern for journalistic and artistic integrity stops making you look so silly.

These columns are already meant to be subjective, else they wouldn't be written by just one person. If you don't like how Todd writes and where his priorities lie, well, you're not going to convince him with some dollar-store postulations about journalism. Any journalist, freelancer, and editor will say the same.

As for creators reading negative reviews... well, if Freedom of Speech protects their rights to make games about groping people's faces, Freedom of Speech means people can write what they want about it in return. Razz

Back onto more important, relevant-to-the-article-at-hand matters:

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
At this point MN9 is nothing but a Joke and insult to games funded by kick-starter. Now this may pi** some of you off but I don't care. MN9 was delayed again due multiplayer issues in this game. i don't give a f*** about online multiplayer in game that is supposed be a spiritual successor to mega-man and never will.

All I want from Infuane a decent first player experience that feels/plays like a classic mega-man/mmx game. Now is that to much to ask? Yes I am coming off as an entitled p*** here, however it's been three years since the initial kick-starter took place, stop apolgizing for him.

I'm as peeved at MN9 as you are, but those Multiplayer functions were ultimately in there because of how well the Kickstarter did. It's been a while, but to my recollection the original Kickstarter was so successful that Inafking had to pull new tier goals out of his hat until the last moment, sorta like Lab Zero did with Skullgirls. So, in a way, trying to be a people-pleaser kinda screwed Comcept over.

This is something a lot of crowdfunders are going to have to learn: don't overestimate yourself in terms of reward goals. Keep them to things you know you can do and possibly planned for in the first place. I'm not sure if Kickstarter requires new reward goals once prior tiers are met, but I do think that that was the case.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
@Levitz9
There is also another issue that needs to be brought up. The engine that MN9 is running on is outdated and becoming a major hassle for his team to program for. I'm all for kick-starter rewards for those who backed the game. Those are great ways of rewarding those who backed your project, I fully understand that

Still Infaune should've released a single player MN9 first and added in multiplayer down the road. We live in a digital age where adding in additional content through patches/updates is the norm now. Well all we can do is wait until April 2016 rolls around and hopefully we will finally get MN9.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Not quite sure what you mean by pitch black fog of war though, you can still see the map.

You can't see the parts of the map that're shrouded in darkness.
[img]
http://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Thracia-776/Update%2029/2-FE5_(2)001.png[/img]

CoreSignal wrote:

I'm not one of them, but there are FE fans out there who like Thracia 776.

I assume those people are in the "Unfair game design equals quality" camp.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
It's better than SEGA's approach of rushing games to reach deadlines at any cost, which I believe is a major cause of the drop in quality overall of their stuff from 2004 and onwards. (Games WERE delayed during SEGA's earlier video game days though, most notably Sonic CD.)

The only game I know they did this with first hand and as a consequence really f'ed up things in really bad way was Sonic The Hedgehog 2006.

[/img]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
@Levitz9
There is also another issue that needs to be brought up. The engine that MN9 is running on is outdated and becoming a major hassle for his team to program for. I'm all for kick-starter rewards for those who backed the game. Those are great ways of rewarding those who backed your project, I fully understand that

Still Infaune should've released a single player MN9 first and added in multiplayer down the road. We live in a digital age where adding in additional content through patches/updates is the norm now. Well all we can do is wait until April 2016 rolls around and hopefully we will finally get MN9.

Problem there is that he already promised his backers there'd be that multiplayer feature. If Mighty No. 9 was released without it, even if it becomes available for free later, people are still going to complain about it, only now instead of the endless delays, they'll complain about the game they backed being released incomplete and without the features he promised. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
The only game I know they did this with first hand and as a consequence really f'ed up things in really bad way was Sonic The Hedgehog 2006.

If I recall correctly, and I can't find where I read this, it's happened at least as early as Sonic 3, which was originally going to have the Sonic & Knuckles content, but they weren't closed to finished, so they released the stages finished instead, putting the rest of it into Sonic & Knuckles. Considering just how massive Sonic was back in its day, SEGA would've allowed them to have an extra-big cartridge anyway.

Later on, SEGA got put in the hot seat to port games to the PlayStation 2 that it never intended to; this could've been solved with a delay, but instead they cut into development time and resources to make PS2 ports instead. This is what happened to Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog.

Sonic 2006 was a case where development was constantly being asked to go to events and show what they had rather than working on the game, and the release got pushed forward to get to the 2006 holiday season on platforms the SEGA programmers were not yet used to.

As for the non-Sonic stuff, I'm not really sure what they could've done. I don't think the flaws in games like NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams or Aliens: Colonial Marines could've been easily fixed with more development time.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
meiam wrote:
Not quite sure what you mean by pitch black fog of war though, you can still see the map.

You can't see the parts of the map that're shrouded in darkness.
[img]
http://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Thracia-776/Update%2029/2-FE5_(2)001.png[/img]

That's just a few map and it makes sense storewide, not sure why that's stupid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4